Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 02:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The grass looks nothing like that in winter in Atlanta lol. Those pics are much greener than Atlanta.

Actually it changes house to house. When I was there in January I saw hay looking dead grass (warm season) and lush green grass on some lawns (overseeded with cool season grasses). I think it is becoming more common to overseed lawns with the cool season grass to keep a green lawn.

And yes, on the garden forum some Atlanta pics show tulip mags in bloom, some flowers blooming, green grass, lots of camellias in bloom, forsythia in bloom, creeping phlox in bloom, daffodils, etc.

I'm not trying to paint Atlanta as a subtropical paradise lol as you should now. I'm just stating what I saw on the garden forum posted on 13 February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Not a photo, but a really cool video showing a huge chunk of ice and snow cascading down Half Dome.

http://youtu.be/Y7vfUzgbcRo

Yosemite can be very dangerous in this sense (falling rocks/ice/snow). They record rockfalls about 60 times a year, and they can be very severe, and you can tell by walking along the valleys edge where the granite monoliths start. Huge boulders weighing several hundred tons scattered everywhere. Quite unnerving.

In 1996 they had a massive chunk of granite fall off, and it's well documented. From Wiki:

"At 6:52 pm PDT Wednesday, July 10, 1996, a large block of granite, with an estimated volume of 78,000 cubic yards, detached from the cliff between Washburn Point and Glacier Point, in Yosemite Valley.

After detaching from the cliff, the rock mass slid down a rock shelf for 600 feet at an angle of 50 degrees from vertical and acquired sufficient speed to free-fall ballistically an estimated 1800 feet (550 m) prior to impacting about 200 feet (60 m) from the base of the cliff in the Happy Isles area of the valley floor in Yosemite National Park (field investigation with Gerald Wieczorak and Richard Waitt)."

Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Default Great South Bay on a mild winter day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I know you live in eastern Suffolk, those old homes reminded me of Sayville. There's not many old houses away from the shore out east.
I don't think I've ever been to Sayville, I may have to go exploring lol. Bellport is another area I like, it feels like a small town in the middle of nowhere, would be a nice spot to shoot a movie.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't think I've ever been to Sayville, I may have to go exploring lol. Bellport is another area I like, it feels like a small town in the middle of nowhere, would be a nice spot to shoot a movie.
Sayville's really the only south shore town in Suffolk I've seen much, because of the Ferry to Fire Island there. Sunken Forest in Sailor's Haven is a neat forest walk.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:44 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post

In 1996 they had a massive chunk of granite fall off, and it's well documented. From Wiki:
Very cool! Always been fascinated with rocks. I used to collect them as a kid. Smaller ones of course. lol Although I'd love to have that in my backyard.

Looking back at old pictures.. March 13, 2015. I felt very relaxed. Was a good extended winter through all of March here.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM

While there may not be a snowpack around here anymore, there are still big parking lot piles.
"It's whats inside that counts"

I took this from Stew Leonards today in a congested area of Norwalk near I-95.

I like that snow boulder they got up there. lol

I was looking at our threads in the CT forum from last year.. so impressive and crazy that we went into April with snow around in the area that was around since January!

Snow that still exists in CT (2015)

When will your 2015 Snowpack Melt?

Old 02-18-2016, 01:43 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times
Today was a nice sunny day.
A short walk along the ancient city walls. Daisies are in full bloom.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Today was a nice sunny day.
A short walk along the ancient city walls. Daisies are in full bloom.

Love how they shaped the Pines there. Awesome! I have one right near my deck that I chopped the top off just so it doesn't grow to 100' right near my house. It not only slowed the height growth but it bushed out. However, I like that design there.

====================

Uh Oh ... Look who's getting in the mood. LOL Soon. Couple weeks I start the 1st batch of peppers. Winter is not over yet and there's months before last frost date.

Top Right Tomato Seeds are directly from Italy.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 PM

North Carolina looking pretty.

https://twitter.com/PhillipParne/sta...10870934331396

Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times
Who would have thought that after such a warm winter, this would happen on the Canary Islands.
The snowline is down to 1200-1300m in some parts of the Canary Islands.
Snow Photos
Gran Canaria: FOTOGALERÍA | El Roque Nublo, cubierto por un manto blanco
Tenerife:Temporal de nieve en Tenerife

La Palma:El manto de nieve alcanza los 50 centímetros de espesor en Los Andenes

A near endless Traffic Jam on a Mountain Road in Gran Canaria.
Canarios trying to get up to the snowline.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbluajFVIAEegtZ.jpg:large
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather