Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
One thing I noticed on this radar loop is the way the mountains in Pennsylvania forced a thunderstorm to become borderline severe as it passed over. Take a look at the small cluster of thunderstorms passing north of Hagerstown, MD. You'll notice they turn from yellow to red and orange as they pass over South Mountain. Nifty..

Awesome analysis! Need more please, more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wow. Looks like Islip didn't budge from 48F all day, I wonder if that's ever happened before. Last May was glorious, this May is the absolute opposite so far. I can't wait until we flip into a summer pattern.

Good point. A Range of 0. Wonder how many times that's happened. Feels weird. Mine was 50/52.
Don't worry, before we know it, it will be Summer weather. Yeah, last year I was hardening off my plants already. Not this yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
the low Friday night is predicted at 61 F per WU and 63 F per the NWS.
Here's why... Remember that Cutoff Low from May 8, 1992? Well, we got another one but notice the difference. It's further north. So it obviously wont get as cold as then but notice how the Jet Stream digs down to Florida.. Not a warm pattern for Eastern U.S but wont last long as it continues to shift East.

SPC 500mb Heights for Thursday

Now at the surface...

This morning... Watch that front over Central plains and Mid West ...

Friday. Boom. That front now off the Florida coast and High Pressure moves in. Radiation cooling!

Min Temps Thursday May 5th

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 AM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times

Near record central Canadian warmth producing the wildly buckled North American jet stream driving Wednesday

Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 AM

[quote=Craziaskowboi;43932477]

Didn't Chicago reach 100°F in 1983?
[quote]

Yes, but only a couple of times. Highest in metro area was 104F that year. Peru which is far outlying southwest about 60 miles from MDW had 6 100F/38C+ days

Quote:
If that verifies, then it makes me wonder if the Mid-Atlantic will be the hottest area relative to normal.
Possibly yes.

I wonder what impact this will have on our weather come late May?

https://twitter.com/jnmet/status/727799191498588160

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 05-04-2016 at 05:37 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 AM

So here I am playing the new GFS6z loop this morning seeing if this pattern will be changing mid month and I see this...

To see the Polar Jet stream digging into the U.S like this with the 850mb freezing line I knew the answer before I even completed the loop past this point.

Its hard to get any Eastern Ridge established with these troughs that keep digging down and swinging across. So basically Status Quo. Below Normal with times of warmth and times of frost threats in New England.

BTW, that's snow for that area of Canada mid month. Probably not rare though.

16 Day GFS Forecast. 6z not updated yet.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Data for Hartford.

Look at the thickness Monday morning and at the end of the run. Crazy. We're lucky to get that type of thickness in November let alone May.

Last 7 days has been the coldest since 2002 here.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome analysis! Need more please, more.

Good point. A Range of 0. Wonder how many times that's happened. Feels weird. Mine was 50/52.
Don't worry, before we know it, it will be Summer weather. Yeah, last year I was hardening off my plants already. Not this yr.
But I want May weather! I'm really frustrated with spring so far, started promising than this. Looking forward to the spring bloom and leafout and we get this. Hasn't even added up to much rain, 0.64" for the week.

Neat maps, the Low is over eastern Kentucky or West Virginia? At least at the midlevels?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times

Wow, that looks quite Severe.
We don't get Natural Disaster of this Magnitude here.
Boring Climates are not always a bad thing.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM

^^

Dire situation. Still cannot believe that a site in Canada at 57N reached 88F/31C yesterday, and will reach 30C today!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Neat maps, the Low is over eastern Kentucky or West Virginia? At least at the midlevels?
Another favorite thing of mine is when storms get vertically stacked. Sounds cool and sometimes gives us those powerhouse storms. Not really this time but still cool. Surface, Mid Level and Upper Level storms will align like the planets one day. lol

NWS Baltimore/DC discussion and they are being funny too. Basically the ULL will meet with the coastal storm (why couldn't this be winter?) then it's "Bon Voyage"

Quote:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1044 AM EDT WED MAY 4 2016

A CLOSED LOW SWINGS OVER THE AREA TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY...THEN
STALLS AT LEAST INTO SATURDAY. THIS WILL BRING ABOUT A NOTABLY WET
STRETCH WITH INTERMITTENT RAIN. DESPITE IT HAVING ALREADY BEEN WET
RECENTLY...THERE IS A SPRING RAINFALL DEFICIT ACROSS THE AREA OF ONE
TO THREE INCHES. SO THIS SHOULD BE SEEN AS A BENEFICIAL STRETCH.

RAIN MAY BECOME EXCESSIVE...PARTICULARLY LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY AS THE UPPER LOW OVER ERN KY TRANSFERS ENERGY TO A COASTAL LOW.

THE LOW BECOMES VERTICALLY STACKED OVER THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND
PERSISTS FRIDAY.

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
THE UPPER CUTOFF LOW OVER THE EASTERN U.S. WHICH WE`VE BEEN WRITING ABOUT
FOR THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS SEEMS TO BE EARNING THE TERM "OMNIPRESENT"
AS LATEST MODELS NOW KEEP IT OVER THE MID ATLANTIC THRU SAT...KEEPING
THE 1ST HALF OF THE WKND A CLOUDY COOL RAINY CONTINUATION OF WHAT
THIS WEEK HAS BEEN AS A WHOLE. SUPERBLEND GIVING HIGHS IN THE LM70S
SAT - THIS MAY BE A STRETCH AND WL BE DEPENDENT ON WHETHER BRKS
DVLP IN THE AFTN CLDS...AND IF BRKS DO DVLP WL RW FORM AS A
RESULT OF THE HTG IN THE MOIST ENVIRONMENT?

IT LOOKS LIKE WE`LL FINALLY BE ABLE TO SAY "BON VOYAGE" TO THE UPPER
LOW MONDAY...AND THE UPPER RIDGE WHICH WL HV BEEN OVR THE ROCKIES FOR
MULTIPLE DAYS. SUNNIER SKIES NEXT MON AND TUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But I want May weather! I'm really frustrated with spring so far, started promising than this. Looking forward to the spring bloom and leafout and we get this. Hasn't even added up to much rain, 0.64" for the week.
I agree, the only season I actually don't mind being normal is Spring. I don't want summer to be what so ever!!

So lets see...
March was well above normal. +6.1
April was below normal. -1.8
May ...... So far -9.4 below normal. If ends up below normal, Spring 2016 on paper will probably be "normal". lol

Last edited by Cambium; 05-04-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM

anomalies

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather