Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? I've never noticed bus in late January on Long Island. Those December buds were from trees confused from record warmth.
lol. Just a typical post from him making things seem warmer then they are. lol. like the peak foliage in December he once claimed. It's NOT "normal" to see buds in January or February on Long Island, NYC, or area. This year an exception with December being so warm and if February is the same warmth then we'll see them sprout again soon. But no, not normal, March is the normal. Sure there's been the abnormal of Mid February but that's called "extreme", not normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:18 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,866 times
It's been 6 weeks since my last post and I'm starting to get a bit antsy for spring. In December we got 14.66" (372 mm) of rain, and so far this month we've gotten 11.85" (300 mm) with a strong system forecast to dump an additional 3-5" (76-127 mm) by the end of the week. February and March both have the potential to bring high rainfall totals as well (average for both months is around 5" (127 mm) but higher to the point of doubled or more during El Nino years), so I'll definitely be ready for proper spring weather after this soaker of a winter.

At least the days are getting longer, and I've noticed that the hillsides are really getting green lately

Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Really? I've never noticed bus in late January on Long Island. Those December buds were from trees confused from record warmth.
Really? I usually begin noticing them around now and into early Feb. They're small, nothing like April-sized buds, but they're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. Just a typical post from him making things seem warmer then they are. lol. like the peak foliage in December he once claimed. It's NOT "normal" to see buds in January or February on Long Island, NYC, or area. This year an exception with December being so warm and if February is the same warmth then we'll see them sprout again soon. But no, not normal, March is the normal. Sure there's been the abnormal of Mid February but that's called "extreme", not normal.
How am I making things seem warmer than what they are? Many trees begin budding before they even go dormant for the winter, and by late winter (which is a few days away) they begin coming out of dormancy as they sense the increasing amount of daylight, bud growth resumes, albeit slowly if it isn't mild.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:36 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Same thing for here. December warmth confused them and somehow the oaks did survive. I have seen buds on trees in early February. But by no means are green oak trees normal for now so please don't get that idea that I'm trying to make Raleigh seem warmer.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Same thing for here. December warmth confused them and somehow the oaks did survive. I have seen buds on trees in early February. But by no means are green oak trees normal for now so please don't get that idea that I'm trying to make Raleigh seem warmer.
It does come across like that in a lot of your posts. Especially when you don't specify that it isn't normal.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It does come across like that in a lot of your posts. Especially when you don't specify that it isn't normal.
Maybe so but that is never my intention. You yourself know I don't hide the facts of how cold Raleigh has gotten. I do have pictures of the trees im talking about but I couldn't manage to upload them I used photo bucket and attempted multiple other ways and it still didn't work.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Budding is a natural occurrence, however the size of the buds during winter is temperature dependent. December's extreme warmth made them very visible this winter.

This is what I meant, the buds are tiny, but clearly visible:

January and February 2014 were both 3F below normal here, btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2016 thread (Northern Hemisphere)-image.jpeg  

Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,846,300 times
It'll be interesting to see how early the bradford pears and sweatgums grow their leaves this year.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:54 PM

First spring cherry blossoms today. Normally the first blossom towards the end of february.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:44 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times
Here is what the CFSv2 is currently showing for Spring. Kind of a torch pattern. I'd like to see this. Hope it verifies

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather