Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite tropical island climate?
Singapore 0 0%
Bora Bora, Tahiti 4 12.50%
Key West, Florida 3 9.38%
Oranjestad, Aruba 2 6.25%
Honolulu, Hawaii 9 28.13%
Fraser Island, Australia 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 PM

633 posts, read 661,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Of course, but as long as 18C falls within a reasonable confidence interval it wouldn't be incorrect to call it tropical.
sorry but i don't feel confident in any situation where i don't meet the threshold for something. even when i'm in rounding distance...

you can't round up (down?) negative numbers though?

Quote:
What's so surprising about that.
they average like 3 feet of snow per season. yea, kinda surprising...

Quote:
I honestly thought that some places near the Coast of Cape Cod were indeed subtropical as defined by Koppen?
none that i know of using the 0°C isotherm... (unless you round of course... negative numbers... )

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 12-30-2015 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
uncertainty, doesn't that go both ways?

maybe Fraser is even cooler than the data that was collected suggests...

i've never seen rounding like that in any climate description i've come across. i've seen a lot of "borderline" being used marrying two climate types, but never rounding and claiming a place as purely the next climate type that it doesn't even technically meet the qualifications for.

so I guess Edgartown, Massachusetts is now subtropical, with a 31.8°F mean for the coldest month.

****ing Massachusetts...

and using the -3°C isotherm coastal New Hampshire can get in on some of that subtropical action with -3.5°C

but wait rounding doesn't apply for that negative value, right? why not? its just as far away from the threshold as Fraser?
Edgartown is barely an Oceanic (Cfb) climate. And Hampton NH has a -4°C average temp in the coldest month which is a solid Humid Continental (Dfa) climate.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Edgartown is barely an Oceanic (Cfb) climate. And Hampton NH has a -4°C average temp in the coldest month which is a solid Humid Continental (Dfa) climate.
yea i removed it shortly after adding it because it turned out to be a stretch, still possible with Isles of Shoals, including Maine... but i'm thinking it may pass for coldest month but with more ocean moderation the warmest month might become too cool...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
you can't round up (down?) negative numbers though?
I'm not getting your point with the negative numbers. You round them just as you do with positive numbers:

-0.3 rounds to 0
-6.5 rounds to -6
-43.6 rounds to -44
etc

Then, whatever type of climate you end up with is the answer. What's the problem

Quote:

they average like 3 feet of snow per season. yea, kinda surprising...
No, only 21 inches. There are plenty of solidly subtropical climates that get that much. Baltimore is a solid example.

Last edited by Shalop; 12-31-2015 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting your point with the negative numbers. You round them just as you do with positive numbers:

-0.3 rounds to 0
-6.5 rounds to -6
-43.6 rounds to -44
etc

Then, whatever type of climate you end up with is the answer. What's the problem
With that logic Port Charlotte, FL is an Aw climate instead of Cfa because 17.5 rounds up to 18.0...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
With that logic Port Charlotte, FL is an Aw climate instead of Cfa because 17.5 rounds up to 18.0...
Yes. So is Bermuda at 32N.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda#Climate

What's your point?

Old 12-30-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Yes. So is Bermuda at 32N.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda#Climate

What's your point?
They fall short by a hair. And falling short by a hair only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:

-0.3 rounds to 0
-6.5 rounds to -6
-43.6 rounds to -44
etc

because you have a temperature of -0.5°C for a 0°C threshold and a temperature of 17.5°C for a 18°C threshold:

(after looking up how to round negative numbers because i never did it before)

you are wrong, -0.5°C rounds to -1°C and 17.5°C rounds to 18°C. what makes 17.5°C so special that it gets to round to the threshold while -0.5°C doesn't? they are both equally far away from their corresponding thresholds...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
because you have a temperature of -0.5°C for a 0°C threshold and a temperature of 17.5°C for a 18°C threshold:

(after looking up how to round negative numbers because i never did it before)

you are wrong, -0.5°C rounds to -1°C and 17.5°C rounds to 18°C. what makes 17.5°C so special that it gets to round to the threshold while -0.5°C doesn't? they are both equally far away from their corresponding thresholds...
He did round -6.5 to -6.... However, I don't agree with rounding any decimal up or down.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
He did round -6.5 to -6.... However, I don't agree with rounding any decimal up or down.
i'm now reading different articles about it and it seems there are different rules that different people follow.

f this i ain't rounding anything... rounding is for lazy people

Quote:
No, only 21 inches. There are plenty of solidly subtropical climates that get that much. Baltimore is a solid example.
lol i swear i actually looked it up before responding and thought 1 foot was 7 inches. time for bed.
yea 2 feet isn't as bad... still very cold, a joke of a subtropical climate. with only 2 months of the year that even meet the threshold for the coolest month of a tropical climate. really contrived...

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 12-30-2015 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather