U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 6,118,248 times
Reputation: 1815

Advertisements

Does anyone know why Laredo, TX experiences extreme heat in comparison to the rest of Texas?

Yesterday, February 4th, the high in Laredo was 98 degrees. I can't think of any other place in Texas, or anywhere in the United States for that matter, that sees temperatures that high in February. In January, the temperature came close to hitting 90 degrees twice.

Meanwhile, San Antonio, not very far away saw a high of 84 degrees.

It seems to me that Laredo is subject to these extreme spikes of heat in the winter, that would be extremely odd even in the hottest desert valleys in the Southwest. And Laredo isn't even in a desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,594 posts, read 23,695,956 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Does anyone know why Laredo, TX experiences extreme heat in comparison to the rest of Texas?

Yesterday, February 4th, the high in Laredo was 98 degrees. I can't think of any other place in Texas, or anywhere in the United States for that matter, that sees temperatures that high in February. In January, the temperature came close to hitting 90 degrees twice.

Meanwhile, San Antonio, not very far away saw a high of 84 degrees.

It seems to me that Laredo is subject to these extreme spikes of heat in the winter, that would be extremely odd even in the hottest desert valleys in the Southwest. And Laredo isn't even in a desert.
I don't know, but I'll take an educated guess.

Across the Rio Grande in Mexico, there are mountains to the west and maybe south. I hear that South Texas often gets wind from that direction.

Ever hear of "Chinook" winds around the northern Rockies? As clouds move west the moisture condenses, causing precip. After they lose moisture they still continue heading west. As the air moves down the mountains, the air heats up. Chinook winds can make Calgary, a city not far from the U.S. border or the Rockies, have wild temperature swings, like from 15 F to 60 F in a matter of hours.

I do not know if these wind conditions create heat for South Texas, but another difference is that Laredo is a lot farther south than Arizona, Nevada or California. I thought I saw their southern borders are all north of the 30th parallel, while Laredo is about 26 degrees north of the equator.

Compared to the rest of Texas? (another educated guess...)

Well Laredo is a lot farther south. Maybe 3-4 hours south of San Antonio. South Texas is also pretty narrow, east to west. So Laredo is almost as far south you can go in Texas, yet they are still over an hour inland from the Gulf of Mexico, perhaps meaning they get near zero moderation in temps from the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Subarctic maritime Melbourne
5,054 posts, read 5,717,713 times
Reputation: 2836
Quote:
Does anyone know why Laredo, TX experiences extreme heat in comparison to the rest of Texas?
'coz it's got a good climate.

....and the rest of Texas has a better climate than Melbourne....

98F in mid winter hey? Won't see that here this February, even though it is mid "summer", technically speaking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
 
Location: TN, to AK one day
279 posts, read 710,659 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
'coz it's got a good climate.

....and the rest of Texas has a better climate than Melbourne....

98F in mid winter hey? Won't see that here this February, even though it is mid "summer", technically speaking
how about move if youre going to whine about the weather all day every day?

jesus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Does anyone know why Laredo, TX experiences extreme heat in comparison to the rest of Texas?

Yesterday, February 4th, the high in Laredo was 98 degrees. I can't think of any other place in Texas, or anywhere in the United States for that matter, that sees temperatures that high in February. In January, the temperature came close to hitting 90 degrees twice.

Meanwhile, San Antonio, not very far away saw a high of 84 degrees.

It seems to me that Laredo is subject to these extreme spikes of heat in the winter, that would be extremely odd even in the hottest desert valleys in the Southwest. And Laredo isn't even in a desert.
The climate of Laredo is semi-arid with probably only around 10-15 inches of precipitation in a good year. Expect summer temperatures in the 100-115F range for several months during the summer.
That area probably has two seasons: Summer and less hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times
Reputation: 3552
Without looking at the recent weather charts for Laredo, I would guess that the recent heat spikes in the 90+F temp range also saw wild temperature swings. Sometimes in the southwest you can get huge temperature swings of 45F from overnight low to afternoon high, and this can occur many days in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 6,118,248 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The climate of Laredo is semi-arid with probably only around 10-15 inches of precipitation in a good year. Expect summer temperatures in the 100-115F range for several months during the summer.
That area probably has two seasons: Summer and less hot.
Actually, Laredo sees about 20 inches of rain a year. A desert is technically classified as an area that sees less than 10 inches of rain a year. The average high temperature in the summer is less than 100 degrees (96 to 98 degrees). The average high and low in the winter is about 65 and 45. That's why it seems odd that Laredo has these periods that get up into the upper 90s in December, January, and February.

It would be very abnormal in Phoenix to see temperatures above 90 degrees in December, January, and February, let alone near 100.

I guess ColdCanadian was right. There are mountains just to the west of Laredo in Chihuahua. Air racing down the eastern slopes of those mountains must warm significantly before hitting Laredo and the western Rio Grande Valley of deep South Texas.

To Recycled: The low on February 4 did drop down to 66, which is rather significant. The city did, however, see a low temperature as high as 73 degrees on the 11th of December.

I guess Laredo's climate must either originate from the downsloping winds from the mountains in Chihuahua or the Gulf of Mexico to the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 AM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 8,611,519 times
Reputation: 5904
that is TERRIBLE!!! i complained because when i used to live in south florida it would get to 85 in January, i wouln't even know how pissed off i'd be if we got to 98 degrees in FEBRUARY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 AM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Actually, Laredo sees about 20 inches of rain a year. A desert is technically classified as an area that sees less than 10 inches of rain a year. The average high temperature in the summer is less than 100 degrees (96 to 98 degrees). The average high and low in the winter is about 65 and 45. That's why it seems odd that Laredo has these periods that get up into the upper 90s in December, January, and February.

It would be very abnormal in Phoenix to see temperatures above 90 degrees in December, January, and February, let alone near 100.

I guess ColdCanadian was right. There are mountains just to the west of Laredo in Chihuahua. Air racing down the eastern slopes of those mountains must warm significantly before hitting Laredo and the western Rio Grande Valley of deep South Texas.

To Recycled: The low on February 4 did drop down to 66, which is rather significant. The city did, however, see a low temperature as high as 73 degrees on the 11th of December.

I guess Laredo's climate must either originate from the downsloping winds from the mountains in Chihuahua or the Gulf of Mexico to the east.
I should have looked at the official numbers I do know that Laredo gets extremely hot in the summer and 96-98 seems a little on the low side to me. It can get well above 110F there for periods in the summer. It is definitely not quite as bad as Phoneix, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
Reputation: 10428
I've driven to Laredo from San Antonio in December and it was cold and rainy. Well, probably just "chilly", but definitely not hot. In the summer, it seemed like an oven, same as San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top