Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 08:16 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,374 times

Advertisements

Could be our first heatwave since July 2013. Last 2 days have been 90 and 91. Also, could be our second 70 degree night this year, hasn't dropped below 72 yet today. After weeks of being "abnormally dry", we were upgraded to D1 status today. Grass is very brown and crunchy. Hope this heat and drought keeps up, I've been loving this weather and I don't care if the grass is green or not (and it's interesting to experience weather events such as drought).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yeah, lol. I see these people saying that 90 is like death, none of them would last even a Spring or Fall here let alone a Summer. Today is supposed to get up to 107, which is our norm for the day, here.

I never said it is like death. I just don't like it cause it comes with high humidity usually. We get plenty of 90F plus days a summer. We don't live in a giant sprawled out city like you do. Try block after block of very dense rowhouse hoods combined with dewpoints in the 70'sF.

I was in Seville, Spain when everyday was close to 100F and dry. In the shade felt fine. High humidity makes all the difference. This weather feels hotter than Seville for sure.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You guys are failing to understand 2 things.

1. It's not "normal" and we aren't used to it nor like it.
2. It's a different feeling.

I asked my cousin Sal what he thinks about something because he owns a business in Florida and travels there a lot in all seasons. He lives in Southern NY. Take a look for yourself what he said.. (in blue)

So not only there is lack of breezes here (or in region here) but it DOES feel worse here. So perhaps we aren't comparing the same thing OR perhaps what we experience is simply just worse than what you guys experience using the same conditions. I always felt that was the case and he confirms it for me.

I still think soil type and density of trees or hills plays a big role too.

FYI -- He is a heat lover. HATES the cold with a passion.

They are also forgetting something else which applies to where I live. It is far far more dense than their sprawling cities with everyone in a single house with a yard. We have all these black roofs just trowing off heat, the AC throwing out hot air from houses, street after street baking black, etc. etc. It is a joke to compare Philly at 95F with high humidity to someone sitting in their backyard in the shade with their swimming pool shimmering in the sun in Phoenix.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I never said it is like death. I just don't like it cause it comes with high humidity usually. We get plenty of 90F plus days a summer. We don't live in a giant sprawled out city like you do. Try block after block of very dense rowhouse hoods combined with dewpoints in the 70'sF.

I was in Seville, Spain when everyday was close to 100F and dry. In the shade felt fine. High humidity makes all the difference. This weather feels hotter than Seville for sure.
Not the whole area is like that, I live in the city center, mostly apartment buildings, and pop density is around 10k/sq mi in my neighborhood

Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not the whole area is like that, I live in the city center, mostly apartment buildings, and pop density is around 10k/sq mi in my neighborhood

You have hoods like this? I walk by this area everyday. It is stifling in streets like this with 95F and high dewpoints.

https://goo.gl/maps/H97LiD81zb22

Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
You have hoods like this? I walk by this area everyday. It is stifling in streets like this with 95F and high dewpoints.

https://goo.gl/maps/H97LiD81zb22
What a lovely looking street.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post

Dean, it is usually, but not in freezing winter and with this 90's stuff. I know I am an outlier but I like good ol avg temps.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Seabreeze in Florida summers only affects areas that are within 5 miles of the coast. Even then, you're talking about wind blowing off 85-90 F waters. Honestly, I'm surprised New England averages as cool as it does during the summer. I imagine if Canada's Hudson Bay and Labrador current didn't exist, summer temps would average far warmer up there.
Why would you expect New England to be warmer?

Right now the current conditions are reporting wind variable 6 mph.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
Dean, it is usually, but not in freezing winter and with this 90's stuff. I know I am an outlier but I like good ol avg temps.
I can imagine such a busy, dense city is suffocating with the heat and humidity you're currently getting. Your normal summer averages are very nice, but what you're getting now is a bit much.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post

Dean, you should visit Philly someday. We have neighborhood after neighborhood with streets just like that. That street shot is certainly not unique here. We are just an old English colonial city, unlike our Western cities sprawling for miles from the city centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather