Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,410,747 times

Advertisements

Impressive severe thunderstorm came through last night just after midnight. I saw small tree branches flying through the air. The lightning was amazing, literally constant like a strobe. I've never seen it that frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM

29,382 posts, read 19,472,090 times
A thing of beauty

https://twitter.com/GenscapeWx/statu...93808743493633

Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,849,170 times
We better start getting even a small thunderstorm with this humidity.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Lol a classic North American response. I hear it all the time in Ontario. People are only fascinated with flat white sand beaches. They don't consider huge mountains, dramatic landscapes, amazing cultures, etc
More like typical American response. That was not the reason I posted that video, but he had to highjack it with this silly over the top bragging that has no merit.

Now you know why I said what I did about the Med. Flat sandy beaches with warm water are okay for laying around in the sun and swimming, but they are boring after that. I really enjoyed the beach culture in Barcelona. And parts of the Med have stunning white beaches with amazing geography on top of that. No contest imo.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Been to Destin. Loved it, but my kid was stung by a jellyfish, and he had a little reaction. Something we don't have to worry about in Lake Michigan

Was in St Pete's Beach this June. I loved it so much that I am thinking of buying property there in a couple of years.

The beaches in the Med have better geographic scenery, but are usually more rocky, and the water isn't as warm.

Not all are rocky, and the water is plenty warm enough. The water was 75F in Barcelona in late September when I was there, which is far warmer than anything you will find in the Great Lakes.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 AM

13,434 posts, read 8,972,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Pastel white beaches, lined with subtropical flora, make for dramatic scenery. Amazing cultures are found all along North America's coastlines. A beach doesn't need huge mountains to be beautiful.

Only because of the topography.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
The whiteness is not to the degree found in the Alabama and Florida Panhandle coasts. Also, the vegetation on the Gulf Coast is subtropical/tropical, not continental like on the Great Lakes.
Oops you have finally l the mask slip, tell us again how you are not the 93rd incarnation of Mr Cold Epoch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not all are rocky, and the water is plenty warm enough. The water was 75F in Barcelona in late September when I was there, which is far warmer than anything you will find in the Great Lakes.
Indeed. Plenty of stunning beaches throughout the Mediterranean, not all are the same. And water is very warm too, last summer it was 30C/86F here & is already 27C/81F now, with some time to get even warmer...

Old 07-14-2016, 10:30 AM

83,290 posts, read 74,544,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
We better start getting even a small thunderstorm with this humidity.
There's an interesting conversation. I wonder how many times we haven't seen thunderstorms with this type of high humidity. Takes more than just being humid but interesting to know

NWS Philly Discussion. Once sun comes out temps soar into 90s and then you will wait until a mid level feature comes in which will trigger some storms.

But again, as usually is... scattered. So who will be the lucky one. Unless an entire line can form which clips many areas.

Quote:
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1002 AM EDT THU JUL 14 2016

The low clouds had dissipated over southern and central Delaware
and the adjacent counties of northeastern Maryland by 930 AM. The
low clouds should continue to lift and break over the remainder of
our forecast area during the balance of the morning. Once the sun
appears, temperatures should rise quickly.

We continue to anticipate highs in the lower and middle 90s
today, except in the elevated terrain of the Poconos and far
northern New Jersey, and along the immediate coast. Dew point
readings will remain in the lower and middle 70s. The Excessive
Heat Warning and Heat Advisory will remain in place.

A mid level short wave trough over western New York, western
Pennsylvania and West Virginia at mid morning will progress to the
east. The feature should pass over our forecast area from about
mid afternoon into early evening. Showers and thunderstorms are
expected to develop in response to the mid level feature.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Yeah, it's 1f below average up there, and 7f below average here. They will probably end the month with above average sun too, while we will struggle to get anywhere near.

Www.heathrowcam.net takes a picture every 45 seconds or so, of landing aircraft. Conditions here are nothing like they are up there.

They are on the north side of the jetstream, and you are under it. Same thing happens to us here vs New England in the Spring and Fall.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 AM

379 posts, read 286,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Oops you have finally l the mask slip, tell us again how you are not the 93rd incarnation of Mr Cold Epoch...
Those are facts, though.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,376,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

Indeed. Plenty of stunning beaches throughout the Mediterranean, not all are the same. And water is very warm too, last summer it was 30C/86F here & is already 27C/81F now, with some time to get even warmer...
You guys have the mountains and nice topography going for you but the water still isn't warm everywhere and not as warm as the US south or gulf coast. Water Temps were 32 c last year off the NC coast. Also I admittedly would prefer the beautiful topography of the med. Beaches. Also water stays warm in winter in the med. Off the coast of Palestine and Lebanon water Temps are still in the mid 60s in the heart of winter. Fine for a winter dip.

Here in NC the water stays in the mid 60s into December before really falling off. In wilmington the water temp is around 50 in February brrr... but just a good 60 miles out to sea the Gulf Stream has Temps in the 70s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather