Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I guess only wealthy people would want to spend money on them then...
It would be awesome if Jubaea were planted as commonly here in Vancouver as royal palms are in Miami or CIDPs are in the French Riviera. One can dream can't they?
Well they are not that expensive as small plants, just that they are more expensive than other hardy species...

Here are two planted in the front garden of a private home in Torquay, UK

And this one is growing in front of Noirmont Manor in Jersey, Channel Islands

Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well they are not that expensive as small plants, just that they are more expensive than other hardy species...

Here are two planted in the front garden of a private home in Torquay, UK

And this one is growing in front of Noirmont Manor in Jersey, Channel Islands
Wow those palms looks great Imagine if they had decided to plant a row of those at English Bay here in Vancouver years ago instead of Trachycarpus, it would look so much nicer

Old 01-26-2016, 10:56 AM

I would still try & get one, obviously the biggest you can afford, as they are very attractive also as younger plants. You could also look into getting the hybrid Jubutia, a cross between Jubaea chilensis & Butia odorata, as although again quite pricey, they are faster growing...

I have a couple of hybrid palms here, a 'Butyagrus' (cross between a Butia odorata & Syagrus romanzoffiana) commonly called the 'Mule palm' in the US as they are sterile & a 'Jubutyagrus', which is a Jubutia (Jubaea x Butia) which has been polinated by a Syagrus romanzoffiana. These hybrids are all quite fast growing...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM

172 posts, read 208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Nope. Again shows you know very little about palms (& indeed many other things)...
Med Fan Palm:
European Fan Palm, Mediterranean Fan Palm Chamaerops humilis
Blue Mediterranean Fan Palm Chamaerops humilis var. argentea

Sabal Palmetto:
Cabbage Palm, Sabal Palm, Carolina Palmetto Sabal palmetto

Same hardiness zones, as you can see.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
The Chilean Wine palm, is a fine looking palm. I wish the settlers had planted them down here. I've never seen a single one down here.

There are some up in the North Island, that are 165 years old, including some planted by Governor Grey himself.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
I dont know,try to search on google.
Uh, I did.

I found one whole place in N California that sells 40' trees, I doubt they would UPS or FEdEx it to NE USA.

THAT is why I ASKed!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:33 PM

"Same hardiness zones", you really need to look beyond Wikipedia or the like...

Sabal palmetto is more cold hardy. I belong to two different palm society forums & other exotic plant forums & have seen actual documented evidence from people growing both palms in various climates around the world & Sabal palmetto can take far lower temperatures than Chamaerops humilis...

Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
I also thought they were similar in terms of cold hardiness (zone 8).

Old 01-26-2016, 02:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
I've just started transplanting palms from around the property, to more favourable situations, where they can get frequent watering.

This one is Ravenea rivularis , from Madagascar -around four -five years old, but suffering from dry summers . I think it should start really growing now
Attached Thumbnails
Palm Trees General Discussion-img_3645.jpg  

Old 01-26-2016, 02:51 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
They're "ugly" because they're North American. Everything North American is ugly, or inadequate.
I find some North American palms attractive. The CA fan palm, the palms native to South Florida like the Cherry Palm, different Thatch palms,and the Everglades palm.

The palms native to the Southeast outside of far S. FL I do not generally find attractive, or that to me do not look as tropical as the natives of other subtropical climates. I think it is because the area just can get far too cold in winter. I mean it says something that the hardiest palm of all is native to the Southeast. And that proves this non sense about North America being in a cold epoch is just that. We have always gotten extreme cold anomalies, and we always will. And eventually the CIDP's and other less hardy palms will be wiped out again in the Southeast like they were in the 80's. Except of course for very warm micro climates on some barrier islands, New Orleans, etc.

There has been no cold in the Southeast anywhere near what they got in the 80's, and that has allowed people to try these less hardy palms. I think they may be on borrowed time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather