Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 04:12 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Do live in Cape May? Trust me, they were killed as they were in Rehoboth. There are one or two left in Rehoboth. And I find it hard to believe you have them from the 60's since you went negative in the 80's.

Do they survive temps below 0F as well? Show me a pic of a windmill palm in Raleigh from the 60's that survived -9F in 1985. I don't believe you. They weren't even popular in the US until the 1990's.

And you over exaggerate how warm and mild Raleigh is.
I got you, the ones in Raleigh are from the early 90s. But there are old ones in Charlotte and hickory NC from the 60s. I don't over exaggerate Raleigh warmth, you over exaggerate how cold we are. Then when b87 just keeps on exaggerating London as warm and people tell him to stop you still keep on agreeing with him.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:16 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Enjoy, hell turns out a windmills palm was growing unprotected in hickory since 1946.

OldWindmills

Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
So Houston can't grow zone 9b palms with ease, yet Joe can in NZ? Howz that?
I wouldn't say (R rivularis) with ease, but the cold isn't killing it, just lack of water. This discussion on them has inspired me to pay more attention to it -got some water today, and I might move it yet.

Here's what it looks like today.
Attached Thumbnails
Palm Trees General Discussion-img_4486.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 09-08-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 10:56 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I got you, the ones in Raleigh are from the early 90s. But there are old ones in Charlotte and hickory NC from the 60s. I don't over exaggerate Raleigh warmth, you over exaggerate how cold we are. Then when b87 just keeps on exaggerating London as warm and people tell him to stop you still keep on agreeing with him.

No I don't. I agree with him on how green London is in winter, and how it seems CIDP do very well there. I think you are jealous that London grows palms with ease that Raleigh, despite its much warmer summers, cannot. I know I'm jealous.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Im jealous that Palermo, at 38N, hasn't dropped below 5c the entire year. Im jealous that places in Western Europe have record lows that are higher than the average highs in the Northeast US at the same latitude

Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post

Here is something else to make you jealous. So a place like Columbia in SC has an avg 3 month (Dec, Jan, and Feb) winter mean of 47F, and Raleigh has 43F.

I want you to look at pics of a city in eastern China that has a 3 month winter mean temp of 42.8F. Basically the same as Raleigh.

It has a Jan mean low temp of 34.9F and avg high of 47.7F. But the key is that temps never go far below that 34.9 despite being 400 miles inland. Keep latitude out of this. This place is colder in winter than both Raleigh and Columbia but it is far more green in winter. China has stability in winter that is why. From 1971 to 2013 the record low there is 10F vs -9F in Raleigh, and -1F in Columbia (1971-2013). Not one other place on earth with the winter averages of the South goes as far below its winter temps. That is the reason why tender palms struggle there, as well as having so many deciduous trees.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/changs...-DDiRKn-CNP9c5

Beautiful Phoenix palms that will not survive in Raleigh, and not long term in Columbia:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/perini...-DzuQxo-EfbQDg

More evidence of winter greenery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/changs...-D4fuwt-Dg786k

Both Raleigh and Columbia and the vast majority of the inland Southern US do not look like this in winter and cannot grow palms like that.

And it is all due to the extreme winter low temps, that even China does not get. Without doubt the southeastern US has the deadest winter looking vegetation of any subtropical climate on earth. And this place in China actually has colder winter mean temps. Of course though it has stability which means it doesn't ever get really really cold polar air like the Southeast does. All the warmth in the day does nothing to help inland southern places look as green as China. It is the crazy low temps that prevent it.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Im jealous that Palermo, at 38N, hasn't dropped below 5c the entire year. Im jealous that places in Western Europe have record lows that are higher than the average highs in the Northeast US at the same latitude

Well I'm even jealous of China because at least with winter temps staying close to the mean you know what to expect, and their subtropical areas really look subtropical.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:52 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
No I don't. I agree with him on how green London is in winter, and how it seems CIDP do very well there. I think you are jealous that London grows palms with ease that Raleigh, despite its much warmer summers, cannot. I know I'm jealous.
You've actually been to London in winter though, so you can say that. People who haven't been just think I make everything up, and think it seriously goes weeks without seeing the sun and rains every day. I've also said many times that I don't consider London's winters mild (they are cool), but they are compared to a large part of the US.

Saying how many days we get above or below x temp isn't 'exaggerating how warm' it is.

Last edited by B87; 09-09-2016 at 02:12 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Here is something else to make you jealous. So a place like Columbia in SC has an avg 3 month (Dec, Jan, and Feb) winter mean of 47F, and Raleigh has 43F.

I want you to look at pics of a city in eastern China that has a 3 month winter mean temp of 42.8F. Basically the same as Raleigh.

It has a Jan mean low temp of 34.9F and avg high of 47.7F. But the key is that temps never go far below that 34.9 despite being 400 miles inland. Keep latitude out of this. This place is colder in winter than both Raleigh and Columbia but it is far more green in winter. China has stability in winter that is why. From 1971 to 2013 the record low there is 10F vs -9F in Raleigh, and -1F in Columbia (1971-2013). Not one other place on earth with the winter averages of the South goes as far below its winter temps. That is the reason why tender palms struggle there, as well as having so many deciduous trees.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/changs...-DDiRKn-CNP9c5

Beautiful Phoenix palms that will not survive in Raleigh, and not long term in Columbia:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/perini...-DzuQxo-EfbQDg

More evidence of winter greenery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/changs...-D4fuwt-Dg786k

Both Raleigh and Columbia and the vast majority of the inland Southern US do not look like this in winter and cannot grow palms like that.

And it is all due to the extreme winter low temps, that even China does not get. Without doubt the southeastern US has the deadest winter looking vegetation of any subtropical climate on earth. And this place in China actually has colder winter mean temps. Of course though it has stability which means it doesn't ever get really really cold polar air like the Southeast does. All the warmth in the day does nothing to help inland southern places look as green as China. It is the crazy low temps that prevent it.

That is really incorrect, a great deal of florida and most of the coastal southeast isn't filled with dead winter looking vegetation at all. There is a reason millions and millions of people have retired and relocated to the south, to get away from scraping ice in the morning, and ugly brown slush on the roadways and winters up north, or at least I have heard that stated quite often.

Even inland southern places like Columbia and Raleigh have very mild winters, little snow or ice and I know for a fact that research triangle area has a ton of color in the winter. My mother has camellias,violas,pansies and alot of color in winter in her gardens. Southern mags,pines etc are all over the area she lives in, its not dead and brown at all in winter unless people choose to let their grasses die but there are lots of evergreens in that area

Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Amazing to a place at 38N dont drop below 5C in winter.

Valdivia had -4C in June,and they early july was very cold with a day of 3.6C/-2.8C,and this early september they had 5 followed days with low below zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
You've actually been to London in winter though, so you can say that. People who haven't been just think I make everything up, and think it seriously goes weeks without seeing the sun and rains every day. I've also said many times that I don't consider London's winters mild (they are cool), but they are compared to a large part of the US.

Saying how many days we get above or below x temp isn't 'exaggerating how warm' it is.
But London has a mild winter,for a place at 51N average 8.1/2.3 in January,comparing with Rio Gallegos,Argentina at same latitude average 4.3C/-2.2C in July,and they cant plant palm trees like you do.

Last edited by ghost-likin; 09-09-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather