Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 11:16 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Agreed. Again, we must repeat that winter matters far more for subtropical plants and trees than summer. Far more.
I dont think i have ever heard that before, personally I love stable summers with heat to really get stuff to ripen and certain things really take off with prolonged warmth, my peppers for sure but alot of stuff in my garden really take off with some heat and humidity like eggplant,sweet corn, all types of chili peppers, yams, zucchini,taro, cassava, summer squash, certain types of okra all do well in the heat, southeast asian eggplants are pretty amazing to grow in the heat . many types of melons love the heat to ripen as well. I have always thought a stable and hot summer does alot with sugars in certain plants .

Alot of subtropicals and tropicals need the heat, its why you have coconut palms in certain hot and humid microclimates in Florida and Texas but not in places like California, California doesnt get the kind of heat needed for the sugars need to be built up in the roots of the coconut palm. You also get mangoes, grapefruits,etc that need the heat. tangelos are another one that loves the heat and do best along the gulf coast and hot humid places. sabals are another palm that definitely loves the heat. There is defintely alot to be said for a good stable hot summer and gardening

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-14-2016 at 12:05 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
There is a mutant form of the sabal palmetto, known as the 'lisa.' It has the same properties as the classic sabal palmetto, just with different styles of leaves:

Sabal Palmetto 'Lisa:'

Info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabal_...bal_.27Lisa.27

Pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/368380...-96iJXd-rKM8zz

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottz...-96iJXd-rKM8zz
Thats really cool, I havent seen those before

Old 09-14-2016, 12:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
There is a mutant form of the sabal palmetto, known as the 'lisa.' It has the same properties as the classic sabal palmetto, just with different styles of leaves:

Sabal Palmetto 'Lisa:'

Info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabal_...bal_.27Lisa.27

Pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/368380...-96iJXd-rKM8zz

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottz...-96iJXd-rKM8zz

I would find the sabal palmetto far more attractive if it didn't have those fingers on its leaves and instead had a fan palm type leaf like the robusta.

Basically instead of costapalmate leaves if it had palmate leaves it would be far more interesting to look at. Also, if instead of the dull finish on its leaves it had the glossy finish of robusta. And the final big difference is the dull green color versus bright green color on robusta. The palmetto is just no match at all for the much more tender robusta. And this is the reason I find it the most boring of palms: the color of the leaves, the density of the small crown, the dull finish, and the dull green color. Blah boring tree to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I dont think i have ever heard that before, personally I love stable summers with heat to really get stuff to ripen and certain things really take off with prolonged warmth, my peppers for sure but alot of stuff in my garden really take off with some heat and humidity like eggplant,sweet corn, all types of chili peppers, yams, zucchini,taro, cassava, summer squash, certain types of okra all do well in the heat, southeast asian eggplants are pretty amazing to grow in the heat . many types of melons love the heat to ripen as well. I have always thought a stable and hot summer does alot with sugars in certain plants .

Alot of subtropicals and tropicals need the heat, its why you have coconut palms in certain hot and humid microclimates in Florida and Texas but not in places like California, California doesnt get the kind of heat needed for the sugars need to be built up in the roots of the coconut palm. You also get mangoes, grapefruits,etc that need the heat. tangelos are another one that loves the heat and do best along the gulf coast and hot humid places. sabals are another palm that definitely loves the heat. There is defintely alot to be said for a good stable hot summer and gardening

Sure when comparing true subtropical climates which don't have severe freezing temp cold blasts in winter the heat matters in what can grow as for example coconut palms in Florida vs California. But as we see the heat does nothing for Atlanta, Columbia, Jackson, Raleigh, etc in being able to match the subtropical vegetation that London can grow. Cidp being one glaring example.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

But tangelos only survive on a thin strip along the coast in places like the northern gulf. They don't survive as soon as you go inland 30 or so miles. And some years they are killed right on the gulf coast.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 AM

163 posts, read 165,516 times
Quote:
I would find the sabal palmetto far more attractive if it didn't have those fingers on its leaves and instead had a fan palm type leaf like the robusta.

Basically instead of costapalmate leaves if it had palmate leaves it would be far more interesting to look at. Also, if instead of the dull finish on its leaves it had the glossy finish of robusta. And the final big difference is the dull green color versus bright green color on robusta. The palmetto is just no match at all for the much more tender robusta. And this is the reason I find it the most boring of palms: the color of the leaves, the density of the small crown, the dull finish, and the dull green color. Blah boring tree to me.
But what about Sabal Palmetto 'Lisa?'

Old 09-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
But what about Sabal Palmetto 'Lisa?'

Looks quite similar to the regular ol palmetto.

This is what the palms will look like on the Gulf Coast of Alabama if we have another 2014 winter. I took these in April of 2014. I hate to see palms go thru this, but such is life in a marginal subtropical climate subject to 14F at 30 degrees north latitude, Jan avg temps of 60/40F, and sea level.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:50 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
The record lows in the Southeast are just stunning. You'd expect those sort of lows from places at 40-50 latitudes! The Northeast US takes the cake for the worst average temperatures for the latitude (minus East Asia), but the South is the worst when it comes to record lows

Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The record lows in the Southeast are just stunning. You'd expect those sort of lows from places at 40-50 latitudes! The Northeast US takes the cake for the worst average temperatures for the latitude (minus East Asia), but the South is the worst when it comes to record lows

The South is the worst for low latitude and sea level "average" warm winters with extreme deviations in winter. It is not just the record lows, it is the annual winter lowest temp. 14F is not Mobile AL record low. That would be 3F lol. Pathetic.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 AM

384 posts, read 383,463 times
Quote:

W. filifera is similar to robusta but much more cold hardy. Maybe more so than sabal palmetto when it's in a dry climate. Filifera has a much wider trunk than robusta and doesn't grow as tall I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather