U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Status: "Across From The Yellow Plate Stoplight" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: OHIO VALLEY
16,228 posts, read 23,821,095 times
Reputation: 8446

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
i would bet! isnt it always freezing over there?? i was checking the weather for that area and its never out of the -s!! the highs are like 10 but the lows are like -20! ITS ALWAYS COLD!! how do you live in that?!?!
It's all about having the proper gear as well as multiple layers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 6,046,311 times
Reputation: 5904
not only that, it was -73F THIS morning in that same city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Status: "Across From The Yellow Plate Stoplight" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: OHIO VALLEY
16,228 posts, read 23,821,095 times
Reputation: 8446
I have a feeling Tok, AK is in a deep valley where the cold arctic air collects in the morning. -70F is definitely on the Siberian side of the scale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: still in exile......
29,910 posts, read 6,046,311 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I have a feeling Tok, AK is in a deep valley where the cold arctic air collects in the morning. -70F is definitely on the Siberian side of the scale!
it probably is, even though it is at 1635 feet in elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 AM
 
Location: White House, TN
3,493 posts, read 1,560,314 times
Reputation: 1781
-70F. That makes me shiver just seeing the numbers. I wonder if there have been any colder temperatures in the last five years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Long Island
2,095 posts, read 231,676 times
Reputation: 415
Surprised that this is from 2008.

Actually, the worst cold spell in Tok happened in 2009 with unconfirmed readings of -77F, so does this place get cold like that fairly often?

Of course, we would never know since there are no official stations in that valley, but it would be interesting to know how cold it really gets. I would presume that it's a bit worse than the Tanana valley where Fairbanks is located...

Life At Negative 78 Degrees In Alaska : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Status: "Prisoner of freedom" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Stuart, FL
3,298 posts, read 596,497 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Surprised that this is from 2008.

Actually, the worst cold spell in Tok happened in 2009 with unconfirmed readings of -77F, so does this place get cold like that fairly often?

Of course, we would never know since there are no official stations in that valley, but it would be interesting to know how cold it really gets. I would presume that it's a bit worse than the Tanana valley where Fairbanks is located...
Tok got down to -60 in 2008 and -63 in 2009. The all time record is -71 in 1965.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Long Island
2,095 posts, read 231,676 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Tok got down to -60 in 2008 and -63 in 2009. The all time record is -71 in 1965.
Is the data from NWS? I thought that the closest NWS station to Tok is at Northway, which is some 55 miles away.

Those -78F readings were from PWS's, so certainly I don't believe them. On the other hand, there were multiple readings in the low -70s (the lowest being -80F at some national wildlife refuge in the valley), so it's hard to believe that they were all off by more than 15F. Therefore I would presume that, at the least, a -70F occurrence happened somewhere in the valley that day.

Here's Northway data (check out the 100 degree jump over 10 days in 2009!)
https://weatherspark.com/history/330...-United-States
https://weatherspark.com/history/330...-United-States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 01:12 AM
Status: "Prisoner of freedom" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Stuart, FL
3,298 posts, read 596,497 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Is the data from NWS? I thought that the closest NWS station to Tok is at Northway, which is some 55 miles away.
Go the map and show more stations. There are three in Tok. "Tok" is the oldest, where the -71 was recorded. "Tok School" also recorded -63 in 2009.

National Weather Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Long Island
2,095 posts, read 231,676 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Go the map and show more stations. There are three in Tok. "Tok" is the oldest, where the -71 was recorded. "Tok School" also recorded -63 in 2009.

National Weather Service
Gotcha, thanks.

So, it is doubtful that in reality anything near -80F occurred.

Last edited by Shalop; 06-28-2015 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: My statements before were incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top