Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:43 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
This is quite an interesting Greenland climate. Look at those summer highs!
July looks very warm indeed for Greenland. They also get more sunshine than I get annually...

Summer is certainly better than the northern and western islands of Scotland. Obviously winter is freezing, but still, impressively mild summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, it doesn't seem so, only shrub. The yearly mean temp is still -5.7C so it means it has extemely thick permafrost -> trees cannot grow vertically. Also look, only 72 mm of rain during the summer months, so it's very arid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well there are places in Siberia that have colder means such as oymyakon which has an annual mean of -15.5C, but I suppose the hot summers melt the permafrost faster than the cool Greenland summers. But there is a small forest in southern Greenland
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinngua_Valley
The Forest Plantations in The Greenlandic Arboretum – University of Copenhagen
Check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anadyr_(town)#Climate

Anadyr has trees. It's colder than Kangerlussuaq.

In Anadyr only 4 months have averages above the freezing line. In Kangerlussuaq they're 5 months.

April averages -2.2/-13.3ºC, in Anadyr averages -9.0/-16.4ºC. May averages 7.6/-2.5ºC in Kangerlussuaq, in Anadyr averages 1.6/-4.4ºC.

The warmest month, July, in Kangerlussuaq averages 16.3/4.8ºC, while in Anadyr 15.6/8.6ºC. In Kangerlussuaq probably they would be able to grow the hardiest tundra trees.

In Greenland I've found something. This is from Narsarsuaq: (PS. Shutterstock photos, so no copyright!)

And this in Qanasiassat:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:40 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anadyr_(town)#Climate

Anadyr has trees. It's colder than Kangerlussuaq.

In Anadyr only 4 months have averages above the freezing line. In Kangerlussuaq they're 5 months.

April averages -2.2/-13.3ºC, in Anadyr averages -9.0/-16.4ºC. May averages 7.6/-2.5ºC in Kangerlussuaq, in Anadyr averages 1.6/-4.4ºC.

The warmest month, July, in Kangerlussuaq averages 16.3/4.8ºC, while in Anadyr 15.6/8.6ºC. In Kangerlussuaq probably they would be able to grow the hardiest tundra trees.

In Greenland I've found something. This is from Narsarsuaq: (PS. Shutterstock photos, so no copyright!)

And this in Qanasiassat:
Nice photos. Kangarlussuaq's main problem wrt tree growth is probably the lows in summer. If summer lows are too cold, pretty hard freezes might occur in the the growing season, making the season too short / too demanding for tree growth.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,271 times
Stunning photos. So gorgeous. I'd love to travel to Greenland sometime. Kangerlussuaq is a very interesting climate for its location. I'd love to see more stations in Greenland with similar geography. I bet these would be quite interesting. Shame there's no records for kangerlussuaq.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM

There are some bush tundra near the rivers near Kangarlussuaq:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A...-greenland.jpg

Quicksands-dunes near Kangarlussuaq:

credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Q...-greenland.jpg

Old 01-13-2017, 04:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I know Kerguelen Islands don't have any trees naturally but I wonder if some trees could be planted in sheltered locations there. I imagine the best candidate for potential trees there are species from the southernmost part of Tierra del Fuego. They seem to be able to tolerate very cool and windy summers. What do you think?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I know Kerguelen Islands don't have any trees naturally but I wonder if some trees could be planted in sheltered locations there. I imagine the best candidate for potential trees there are species from the southernmost part of Tierra del Fuego. They seem to be able to tolerate very cool and windy summers. What do you think?
Looking at the climate stats for Kerguelen (from Port-au-Francais), it seems just a bit too cold in summer. The constant wind is a big problem, so a sheltered location facing the daytime summer sun will have the best chances.
Port-au-Francais seems to be on a flat area. On more sheltered spots (sheltered by mountains, hills), such as as the head of those fjords facing north (if there are shelter there) might be the place to try. Or simply against a bulding wall facing north. Those few extra degrees of summer daytime warmth in the sun in sheltered spots are the key in a climate like this. I am sure a Betula pubescens could grow in such a sheltered spot, but veeeery slow and will be small.
In the northern hemisphere, tree growth can occur down towards a mean of 8C in the warmest month in the most oceanic locations (Iceland). In continental areas, the warmest month must be warmer for tree growth.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about which user of this forum lives in the place with the coldest summers.

Because that could be me
Don't feel too down on yourself, I'm sure there are users here with colder summers. I remember there was a guy from Hammerfest here, and Tromso

Old 01-13-2017, 06:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Looking at the climate stats for Kerguelen (from Port-au-Francais), it seems just a bit too cold in summer. The constant wind is a big problem, so a sheltered location facing the daytime summer sun will have the best chances.
Port-au-Francais seems to be on a flat area. On more sheltered spots (sheltered by mountains, hills), such as as the head of those fjords facing north (if there are shelter there) might be the place to try. Or simply against a bulding wall facing north. Those few extra degrees of summer daytime warmth in the sun in sheltered spots are the key in a climate like this. I am sure a Betula pubescens could grow in such a sheltered spot, but veeeery slow and will be small.
In the northern hemisphere, tree growth can occur down towards a mean of 8C in the warmest month in the most oceanic locations (Iceland). In continental areas, the warmest month must be warmer for tree growth.
Agreed... since the winds are mainly constant westerlies, planting on the east side of a structure or mountain will make a huge difference to block most of the brunt of the winds. Port-au-Francais averages close to 8C in its warmest month like parts of coastal Iceland so it should be not too different for potential tree growth.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Agreed... since the winds are mainly constant westerlies, planting on the east side of a structure or mountain will make a huge difference to block most of the brunt of the winds. Port-au-Francais averages close to 8C in its warmest month like parts of coastal Iceland so it should be not too different for potential tree growth.
Are there really any forests in those parts of Iceland? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather