Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 02:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Nice spring morning, but not very 'summerlike' yet. Pretty much everything's budding, so it's only a matter of days anymore. Beeches have still their yesteryear's leaves hanging. Would be wise to drop them already.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-23-2016 at 02:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:06 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ok, time for close-ups and some color now....

I'll try to get some more later on. I want to see Hickory, Sugar Maple, Ash, & more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nice close-ups, you don't usually do those. You look a bit the same as me, at least within the local variation between neighborhoods / microclimates. We had a lot of early leaf damage in 2012, not really anything this year.

Thanks! It takes a little more time but definitely fun to do. I have done a few here and there in the past but not as many. Last year I had a couple.

Here's a continuation... Took these yesterday but didn't have time to crop, resize and add the Close-up box onto it. If you guys want the full close up picture just ask.

Sugar Maple. Blooming but not even mini leaves out, just starting.

More Sugar Maples. On the right are Bradford Pear trees.

Hickory. Not sure which type. Can barely tell if there's buds on it but looks like it's starting.

Thornless Honey Locust. Not even any buds? Not dead, they have nice yellow color in the Fall. Here they are Sept 20, 2014.

Not sure. Apple Tree? Pretty blooms. I don't remember Apples on this tree.

Not Sure. Another pretty blooming Tree. Look at the background. lol. Pretty Bare still..

Note Sure. Another pretty blooming Tree..or Shrub.

Tall tree is a Tulip but the Short one not sure. Has white blooms and mini leaves coming out.

So conclusion is... Hickory, Locust, and Oaks are still bare. Mostly everything else is budding or blooming. Now with 1/4" of rain last night more leaves should be poppping out

Old 04-23-2016, 06:26 AM

Bingo. I think I found our answer. Pretty much half of the state has Oak and Hickory.(which are still pretty bare at the end of April). The State Tree is the White Oak btw..

Now take a small area where maybe 80% of the trees are Oak and Hickory and it will look bare.

Notice the blooming trees in my pictures are pretty much from people planting them, not Native.

but the most common tree in the forests is the Red Maple. Sugar Maple is up there too. Probably why there are such beautiful colors around in the Fall. Between the Oaks, Red and Sugar Maples.

But this was interesting to read. https://ctpa.org/connecticuts-native-trees/

Old 04-23-2016, 06:53 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
Quote:
Bingo. I think I found our answer. Pretty much half of the state has Oak and Hickory.(which are still pretty bare at the end of April). The State Tree is the White Oak btw..

Now take a small area where maybe 80% of the trees are Oak and Hickory and it will look bare.

Notice the blooming trees in my pictures are pretty much from people planting them, not Native.

but the most common tree in the forests is the Red Maple. Sugar Maple is up there too. Probably why there are such beautiful colors around in the Fall. Between the Oaks, Red and Sugar Maples.

White oak is our state tree, too. I think it makes great landscaping, but I don't like how long it takes for it to leaf out.

I wonder how the difference would look from here to Connecticut if we all had the same tree species.

In Maryland, 26% of forest trees are made up of oak species, 19% are tulip poplar, 13% are red maple and 10% are loblolly pine.

Red maples are found with more frequency in the higher elevations of the state than in Baltimore, and loblolly pine exists in suburban yards, but is not found in forests until you get just south of the city.

The forests out here have lots of tulip poplar, so we could appear more ahead because that tree begins to leaf out in March.

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 04-23-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 06:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Now I have a real treat for you. Ok, those pictures above were taken before 11:00 today. We got a warning for this night that we can get some wintery precipitation. Ok, it started raining about 13:30, at around 14 hours I noticed that there was some hail mixed in. At 15:30 it looked like this:

Ok, we've seen some dustings of snow in late April and early May, but I can't remember when this kind of accumulation so late in spring happened before. Must be in the 90's, or maybe 2006. Temp outside is now 5C/41F which makes it even more remarkable.

While it's completely climatologically possible for this to happen, March and April are our driest months, so this is quite rare.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-23-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:

I'll have to pay attention next time I post pics of this area; it turns out what you call hemlock is very different to what we call hemlock, lol.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I'll have to pay attention next time I post pics of this area; it turns out what you call hemlock is very different to what we call hemlock, lol.
I didn't mention Hemlock anywhere in my posts. . Or is this something you found out somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Now I have a real treat for you. Ok, those pictures above were taken before 11:00 today. We got a warning for this night that we can get some wintery precipitation. .

Cool! Is that Hail or Sleet? Cant tell. If sleet that's more interesting and it does look like it. Sounds like the rain cooled part of the column to refreeze into pellets. I'd like to see a sounding from there to see the temp in the layers above you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
White oak is our state tree, too. I think it makes great landscaping, but I don't like how long it takes for it to leaf out..
That's interesting. I didn't think a State tree would be the same for other states... Oh wait, I'm thinking about the State nicknames. lol . CT is the Nutmeg State.. Official is the Constitution State. White Oak is excellent for firewood!

Quote:
I wonder how the difference would look from here to Connecticut if we all had the same tree species.
That's a great question. I wonder too and would be the best way to judge how much longer/shorter the areas compare to leaf out or change colors. Technically you can go find a Pin Oak or any tree from my pictures somewhere and just compare it..

Quote:
In Maryland, 26% of forest trees are made up of oak species, 19% are tulip poplar, 13% are red maple and 10% are loblolly pine.

Red maples are found with more frequency in the higher elevations of the state than in Baltimore, and loblolly pine exists in suburban yards, but is not found in forests until you get just south of the city.

The forests out here have lots of tulip poplar, so we could appear more ahead because that tree begins to leaf out in March.

Awesome info. Thanks. Tulips here grow in low lying moist areas. Very interesting that Red Maples are found higher in elevation. Here they are everywhere even to the coast. So should I assume the Red Maples don't do well in the south or maybe they just haven't spread out at low elevations of Maryland?

Old 04-23-2016, 12:10 PM
B87

Hemlock was mentioned on that image you posted, as your 3rd most common native tree. It appears to be some kind of conifer.

Hemlock here refers to an extremely poisonous plant in the carrot family, growing near rivers and streams.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Hemlock was mentioned on that image you posted, as your 3rd most common native tree. It appears to be some kind of conifer.

Hemlock here refers to an extremely poisonous plant in the carrot family, growing near rivers and streams.
Ahhh, sorry, I knew I didn't remember typing it. LOL. Yeah, Hemlock is an evergreen. I have a few on my property. I'll take a pic later and post. Heading outside to do some landscaping.

Actually.. here it is with a little snow on them

Spoiler

Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 PM
B87

Quote:
Ahhh, sorry, I knew I didn't remember typing it. LOL. Yeah, Hemlock is an evergreen. I have a few on my property. I'll take a pic later and post. Heading outside to do some landscaping.

Actually.. here it is with a little snow on them

Do you have 'our' hemlock over there? It's one of the most poisonous plants in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather