Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

From this morning... With my cell phone. A few pics of the grass from around here.

A good reminder that we shouldn't judge a climate or a region based on 1 or 2 pictures. Each person will take care of their grass their own way. Different grass type. Different cameras. Different years.

but I must say.. Taking care of the grass is a complete challenge around here. Both Constant care and Expensive.

Here we go...

A typical scene around here lately.. Brownish with a few green areas within

Many look like this.

Then you have some who have the best lawn in town. Makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing. lol. I was shocked to see this actually. Not fake!

Another one with greenish grass

Some have the zeon Zoysia type grass where it just turns completely tan for winter and then greens up in Spring. Very invasive. Neighbors hate it because it spreads plus looks ugly.

This guy has some of that zeon zoysia on there, unless it's just pure dead grass.

This one is a good one to show how it mostly looks around here now.. Brownish but Greening up a bit now. Actually maybe a bit too green.

In Greenwich (15 minutes South of me)

Still Greenwich. Kinda looks normal for after a winter but I would say actually isn't as brown as other winters.

Still Greenwich. Very brown but this is someones front yard. Looks like it would cost thousands of dollars to maintain it green all year round. It stretched out more to the left. huge yard.

Million dollar question is... Will we be mowing the lawn earlier than 2012? First mow for me was March 29, 2012. And Don't forget.. I last mowed the lawn mid December 2015!

And there's my grassy post of the year. Thanks for taking the tour with me. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:06 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your grass has turned green already! Think I said the same thing a couple weeks ago. Wonder how fast it'll green?
Our grass usually stays pretty green every winter, except maybe a 1977 type January. This google earth photo is from Feb 2004. Jan that year was -6.4 anomaly and Feb was -.3F just around average.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Here's the front.. No way I call this "Green" but it sure isn't the typical brown I get during winter. Some spots are greening up though. It's also not full (nothing growing yet) and bare in spots (I have to fill in)
Ours is more completely brown but we have some light "green" like yours. A bit over a week ago:

On March 1st

Still a muddy mess from the rainstorm five days earlier. not really bikeable

Last edited by nei; 03-09-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
And there's my grassy post of the year. Thanks for taking the tour with me. lol
lol, nice tour. We have some grass like those Greenwich photos.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Lawns in the inland parts of the South Island, will get brown during winter, green up during spring and then become brown again during summer.

Haven't got any lawn photos as such, but this one shows the winter look around Cromwell.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Photo Thread 2016-img_2467.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 03-09-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Cool season grass vs warm season grass I assume. Does anywhere in Europe use warm season grass? One night of 32F and it usually turns into hay. You would know it, unless you live in a climate that never goes below 32F.
I see it from time to time. Usually grass is a bit greener in spring than in winter, but still green. Here are a few pics from late winter / early spring 2012.

Spoiler
Somewhere in Burgundy on February. High that day was 18°F, 6th consecutive high below freezing. You can see green grass under the meager snow cover.

Near Orleans on February 11, 11th consecutive high below freezing and 6th consecutive low below -10°C. Grass is green (you can see it in the shaded spot behind the levee) but not verdant green either.

On the shores of Geneva lake on February 16. High that day was 43°F, but the area was geting out of a 13-day long stretch below freezing. Deffo warm season grass there.

Somewhere in Burgundy on March 10. Not verdant green either, actually the looks of cool season grass during a drought.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 PM

Was at a job site along the coast of Delaware Bay, a large estuary south of Philadelphia. This guy was resting on the beach. He only stayed around 4 hours sleeping on the wide tidal flats before swimming away. The biologist told me he was resting on his slow migration back to New England for the summer.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Some have the zeon Zoysia type grass where it just turns completely tan for winter and then greens up in Spring. Very invasive. Neighbors hate it because it spreads plus looks ugly.

This guy has some of that zeon zoysia on there, unless it's just pure dead grass.

I don't like that warm season Zoysia at all. Not many use it around here, but in the South it is very prevalent.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Was at a job site along the coast of Delaware Bay, a large estuary south of Philadelphia. This guy was resting on the beach. He only stayed around 4 hours sleeping on the wide tidal flats before swimming away. The biologist told me he was resting on his slow migration back to New England for the summer.
Wow great shot! So close-up. You know what species he is? I don't think I've seen seals or sea lions in the Northeast, only the west coast.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wow great shot! So close-up. You know what species he is? I don't think I've seen seals or sea lions in the Northeast, only the west coast.
It was a harbor seal, the most abundant here between November and April. The second most abundant is the bigger gray seal. He was only around 4' long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather