Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 07:47 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I thought fig trees were cold tolerant?
Define "cold". Lol. And how long its "cold".

I always wondered why the entire thing needed to be protected. Why not just the roots? Until recently I realized new growth comes out of the branches and if those freeze and die then you rely and hope for new growth from the bottom.

So essentially less yields without growth from the branches.. So covering or burying the whole thing is essential to quicker recovery, growth and yeilds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,102 times
Figs are Deciduous right? why die with only 10F?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:00 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
It's funny when driving around you'll see something wrapped up like a body bag. It's a fig tree. Everyone knows to protect it.

Wrapping Your Fig Tree For The Winter

they did a test. When wrapped it completely it produces more yields. But then made a comment that the mice killed it, not the weather. lol.

In bold is important. You don't have to cover it but to wait for new growth from the ground is not something you want with short growing seasons so protecting it is important

" The first two years, we let the fig die back to the ground with only leaves for mulch. It survived the New England winter but then each spring it had to sprout out and grow from the ground up.

This third year, we wrapped the Fig as seen in the video so the next Spring we will get a Breba crop of figs, which is the first crop of figs ripening in the summer and then we will get a second crop of figs in the fall. "

Old 03-10-2016, 08:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Another two day White Mountains trip. Took the Crawford Path above treeline on the Presidential Range, turned around once it got late.

March 6, 2016
Summit Elevation: about 4900 feet
Elevation gain: 3900' [ups and downs]
Calories Burned: 1700 [from my phone app, I think it's confused]
Total time: 8:15 hours, started at 10:30 am
Total miles hiked: 11.8 miles
Temp going up: upper 20s
Temp at Summit: about 14°F ?, light breeze

Anyhow, wet snow had fallen recently, coating the trees nicely. A few icy patches, but not much. Snow cover was enough to cover any of the rest. Dog navigated it easily.

Looking back across to Crawford Notch:

Morning temperature profile. What a strange, quick drop in temperature between 4300 feet and 5300 feet.

Perhaps the temperature difference was responsible for the puffy cumulus. They look like convective clouds

snowy forest on the way up:

couple more snowy forest shots

Spoiler

big puffy cumulus

getting to treeline, looking towards where my hike continues

same spot, slightly different angle and light:

Spoiler

spot was crowded; a few put food on their hand to hand-feed gray jays. Saw them last time, was wondering why they seemed to almost follow me.

zoomed-in view towards Mt. Washington

off to the west. Was in the trees for a while then it stayed above the trees more consistently

some icy spots along the way,

Mountain in the background in the above photo is Mt. Eisenhower. Last part was kinda steep. From its top. I continued for another 1.5 miles on the "spine" of the ridge

another shot of the same view

Spoiler

current temperatures. Vertical temperature rate seems to have smoothed out from earlier, atmosphere mixed? Looks more normal. It felt cold but tolerable, sun on my dark clothing made it feel warmer. It was warm enough I could take my gloves off for a short time. Conditions on Mt. Washington were similar to what Shalop had in his first Alps photo, maybe a few degrees warmer. Was told Mt. Washington had lots of people on it earlier in the day.

Great light with the sun, didn't want to turn around. I just wanted to keep going and going. Or just stay up here

Spoiler

Not too many people out, felt very peaceful. Not much wind... it's always a plus to able to take stuff out of your backpack without worrying about it getting airborne.

snowcover was low, rocks made a wind shadow of the snow

changing light again

time to go back. Looking toward Eisenhower

Sunset glow

Last edited by nei; 03-11-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 03:24 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,619 times
Great photos, would love to go somewhere like that one day !

Old 03-11-2016, 03:28 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Define "cold". Lol. And how long its "cold".

I always wondered why the entire thing needed to be protected. Why not just the roots? Until recently I realized new growth comes out of the branches and if those freeze and die then you rely and hope for new growth from the bottom.

So essentially less yields without growth from the branches.. So covering or burying the whole thing is essential to quicker recovery, growth and yeilds.
I was thinking around -5 to -10c. There are quite a few mature fig trees in this area and it rarely gets as cold as -10c even in the most severe winters, so they must be able to deal with that.

Some of them produce large fruit, about the size of a pear.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:33 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Figs are Deciduous right? why die with only 10F?
The branches not the roots. The roots of some fig trees are hardy enough to survive even Chicago's winters. And according to my grandma back home the fig trees are evergreen.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Helshitki right now. Operation Frühlingserwachen is not going very well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...ring_Awakening

Old 03-11-2016, 07:02 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Helshitki right now. Operation Frühlingserwachen is not going very well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...ring_Awakening
You know your WWII well I suppose. Pretty useless though, i can't remember if that operation was before or after the radical yet surprisingly effective defence of Budapest.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
You know your WWII well I suppose. Pretty useless though, i can't remember if that operation was before or after the radical yet surprisingly effective defence of Budapest.
Yes I guess so. I think I can give a brief summary of every (well, most) operation(s) in Europe during WWII. Ask me what happened in Platinenfuchs or Operation Crusader, I'll give it to you. I'm not an armchair general debating what that division should've done then and there, but tend to focus on the big picture.

Anyway, WWII is not my biggest interest. The century from 1815 to 1914 including revolutions (industrial, social, economical, political, migration to America and so on) is the most fascinating era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather