Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times

Advertisements

Interesting sky this evening.

I couldn't do much gardening tonight because I was getting swarmed by gnats.

Garden pics from last night after receiving about 0.40 inches of rain. The ground soaked it up pretty well.

Pecan tree.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 12:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Olympic National Park

Old 05-18-2016, 05:28 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
^^

By those pictures, I'd imagine encountering a Bigfoot there

Old 05-18-2016, 05:44 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
I couldn't do much gardening tonight because I was getting swarmed by gnats.

Garden pics from last night after receiving about 0.40 inches of rain. The ground soaked it up pretty well.

May is such a crucial month here to get the crops going... It's been a disaster this year.

Once again clouds this morning. Plants are looking tired now. I can't stress how many cloudy days we've had or such little sunlight and no warmth.

You got Tomato flowers! Nice.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:27 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Apparently the horse chestnuts with pink flowers are hybrids with the red buckeye, and do not produce sizeable 'conker' fruit.

The main species with white/cream flowers is a much larger tree (growing to around 40m height) with spiky seed pods 4-6cm across.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Olympic National Park
Mmm. Rainforest had sunshine.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
PNW is pretty.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
A grim day; more like early November than May. Cloudy with rain most of the day, and a high of 13-14c.

A380 waiting for an A320 to get out of the way.

Apparently some kind of lily, though looks different to most lillies I see around here.

Not long until these start to crop.

Courgettes have doubled in size in 3-4 days.

Runner beans

Fennel

Old 05-18-2016, 04:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Too bad I really don't care for snow hiking.
I've noticed

Quote:
Isn't it what trash bins are for? Btw I assume it isn't mafia controlled anymore?! Well turns out the city was much cleaner than I was expecting by reading some of the comments online, so the random piles of garbage were weird. In Marseille you see rats freely roaming the streets. The place is disgusting. Didn't see any of that in NYC, even if it obviously exists.
If there's enough trash, place might not have enough bins. Dunno about the mafia, but it's much weaker than 25-30 years ago, still it's the type of business that stays in the family... Seeing rats in the subway tracks isn't rare in NYC, but I guess that's better the streets. There's pizza rat!

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

just found snow rat:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2508604

Quote:
Strange that you noticed that, Paris is renowned for its jaywalkers. Or perhaps you meant Berlin? I'd say both cities are comparable, maybe Paris is slightly worse. Then again, I saw someone cross the 5th avenue against the light at rush hour. Surprisingly enough, he made it to the other side, but triggered a nice little concert of horns. Maybe that was his intent?
Whoops meant Berlin there, but was asking about a NYC - Paris comparison. LOL @ the aggressive jaywalker.

Quote:
Hard to compare. Paris has a lot of tree-lined boulevards, but narrower streets like that one are usually treeless. Also, suburban streets usually aren't tree-lined (though there are a lot of exceptions). Over here, people just plant trees in their yard and prune them once they block much of the sunlight. My parents just did it, I think it looks awful now.
Seems odd that the suburban streets wouldn't be, perhaps the local town doesn't want to be responsible.

Quote:
Nope, I didn't pick that particular neighborhood for that reason, otherwise I wouldv'e gone to Brownsville or somewhere else in eastern Brooklyn - wouldn't have taken photos though. I assumed the Bronx was mostly safe? My mates were taking a nap because of the jetlag (), so I decided to check out a random non-touristy area by myself. Were were staying on the Lexington line, so it was a short subway ride from our place. Just got off the subway at the first non-Manhattan stop.
It's one of the worse areas of the city, dunno how bad it compares with say, eastern Brooklyn. The housing projects themselves there I think are rather terrible, but you didn't enter them. Not a spot I would have ever thought to visit. Any similarity to not-so good areas of Paris you've visited? Hmm, this spot nearby looks quite busy:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...179617!6m1!1e1

Quote:
Yep, the former during the day and the latter at night. I preferred the Top of the Rock. The view over Manhattan at night is quite a sight.
Looks better cause you see Central Park? Haven't been to the Top of the Rock?

Quote:
Just as the South Bronx excursion, it was just random. One of my friends was about to start an umpteenth shopping spree in Times Square and the other was looking for a particular book in a Chelsea library, so I figured out I'd just take the first train departing from Penn station and Huntington it was. After that, I thought "maybe I should have taken the mroe scenic Hudson line". But Cold Spring is too far away, I had only three hours. I can confirm that Huntington Station is blah. And yeah, the other photos are all from the Huntington Line.
I think the train time to Cold Spring is almost the same as to Huntington as the Cold Spring runs express much of the way. Felt bad you went all the way to NYC just to see Huntington LIRR. You can notice a big drop in development density east of Jamiaca, and another one right around Hicksville. You notice something similar? There were from the LIRR. Station was Greenlawn, one past Huntington

Fall Photo Thread 2013

train window built up photos were around Forest Hills

Quote:
Do you see them in private gardens?! Seems marginal for your area from the hardiness info on the label.
It was at a garden store, but no I can't remember seeing them in private gardens

Quote:
Strange reason to turn back. People these days.
My planned route was out of the valley up a hill on the opposite side a few miles later

Quote:
More potholed than the Fifth Avenue?
Gets worse up north

Quote:
80°F and no leaves doesn't sound comfortable for a bike ride. I assume it was dry though.
I was ok, a bit hotter than ideal, but articfical wind helps

Quote:
I remember you posting pics of that place before.
yes, eventually my ride photos get repetitious

Old 05-18-2016, 04:36 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Couple pics from New Canaan, CT a neighboring town.

Little horse farm. I didn't see any horses at that moment.

Which Road do I take?

I chose the right one and it led to this.. Silver Spring Road near Browns Reservoir

In Wilton. Some trees just wont let go of Winter. lol

Remember the damaged Blooming Magnolia tree from the April hard freeze? I don't get people who panic about hard freezes... Look at it now. Beautiful. Hard Freezes don't kill trees.

Remember the frozen dead looking Rhodos in April? Hello pink blooms mid May.

Wish this Banana would just die. lol It started coming up again

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather