Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 01:10 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,691,683 times

Advertisements

^^ Cool! I have a few maps of the Alpine region and have been searching for the spots with the most elevation difference in the shortest distance possible. I've been wanting to go to Macugnaga to see the steep eastern face of Monte Rosa for a few years. Been to Sacromonte di Varallo nearby, it is an certainly an impressive mountain even from far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
1/4" of rain within minutes. I've experienced these downpours since a kid. Always normal to get this much within minutes around the area. 0.67" for the day. 3" for the month.
Nice! Refreshing pics. I'm kinda jealous lol. Lite it pour a hour and less and then let the sun shine again. I wish we had more of these quick downpours over here. We certainly get less than Paris. When we do get rain, the rates can be very high but it comes from larger scale systems. Gives us hours of steady light to moderate rain or tstorm after tstorm with no or little sun inbetween. Isolated storms aren't rare, but I wish they were more frequent.

Quote:
Very cool. I like that elevation. I think its because I can relate to my hikes. lol
Haha I figured it was pretty similar to a hike in the Whites or the Adirondacks, even though the landscape is different.

Quote:
No snow is stubborn or annoying! lol Cool shot though.
I want it to go away so I can hike up there again without bothering with winter equipment. I must admit I find mountains prettier with a bit of snow on them though.

Quote:
Sucks about the fires, hope you get some rains soon! Not sure which is worse, a long detour before or after a hike.
You mean before or after the highest point? If the summit is very high, I'd make the detour after so I'm sure I reach the highest point. If the hike is very long, I'd make the detour before as I wouldn't have the will to make any detour after, say, a couple dozen miles.

Quote:
Interesting, that village looks similar to where my folks are from, kinda.
Well I live in the more Italian part of France. Even if Calabria is hundreds of miles away, I assume there are a lot of similarities. Hopefully I'll be able to check see it in person in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 04:19 PM

83,291 posts, read 74,544,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I wish we had more of these quick downpours over here. We certainly get less than Paris. When we do get rain, the rates can be very high but it comes from larger scale systems. Gives us hours of steady light to moderate rain or tstorm after tstorm with no or little sun inbetween. Isolated storms aren't rare, but I wish they were more frequent.
Interesting. These downpours even come with fronts for us. I would of thought you got them more or as much given the terrain there? Are my closer smaller hills enhancing more rainfall than your distant mountains? Maybe.

but yeah, Convective, Fronts, and Systems we get those downpours (not all the time), but of course one town wont get lucky. Like the other day, my family 25 min south of me didn't even get moderate rains. So always a hit or miss. Makes me think they happened a lot more then I thought when I was a kid being I didn't have access to maps, cars, and stuff. Maybe the days I didn't get a downpour, nearby towns did.

Quote:
Haha I figured it was pretty similar to a hike in the Whites or the Adirondacks, even though the landscape is different.

Definitely different. I'm still waiting for nei to give me his comparison write up of the ADKs vs Whites.

Quote:
You mean before or after the highest point?

I mean before the start of the hike or after finishing the hike. Which is worse, taking 1 hour extra to get to trailhead or to get back home.

Quote:
Well I live in the more Italian part of France. Even if Calabria is hundreds of miles away, I assume there are a lot of similarities. Hopefully I'll be able to check see it in person in a few months.

Cool! Sounds like you might be taking a trip to Southern Italy?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Hottest day in over 8 months.

Before today my max was 77°F(25C). only had ten 70+ days since April 1st.

BOOM.. Mid 80s today. Hit's 86°F(30C) with sun.

2 pictures mean a 1000 words.

Thank God for Trees and Shade.

Thank God for Shades.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Interesting. These downpours even come with fronts for us. I would of thought you got them more or as much given the terrain there? Are my closer smaller hills enhancing more rainfall than your distant mountains? Maybe.

but yeah, Convective, Fronts, and Systems we get those downpours (not all the time), but of course one town wont get lucky. Like the other day, my family 25 min south of me didn't even get moderate rains. So always a hit or miss. Makes me think they happened a lot more then I thought when I was a kid being I didn't have access to maps, cars, and stuff. Maybe the days I didn't get a downpour, nearby towns did.
In case you didn't realize, Rozenn lives in a climate with dry summers. Not quite as extreme as California, but enough the landscape looks dry-ish with the hot summers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice#Climate

He's mentioned inland the mountains get convective thunderstorms in the summer, though no large-scale systems.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:43 AM

1,762 posts, read 1,674,813 times
I tried to make photos form the train. It didn't work out.

Ignore the reflections

The Photo Quality is very low, don't expect anything.

Some more
Spoiler

Those were actually the "good ones".

I was not on the Canary Islands

Big nearby Hotel

"Outdoor AC" on the right ?

What are those

The Beach is not beautiful but the SSTs were warm.

Going into the desert

Ignore the reflections again.

Fujairah

Finally some photos that don't suck.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 AM

29,382 posts, read 19,472,090 times
^^

Quite the tourist! Nice photos!

Last night...

https://twitter.com/WGNNews/status/735791486390915072

Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 PM

3,592 posts, read 2,675,441 times
Up in Norway's Arctic Circle, a nice day today. So I took some images.

Camera: Iphone
Climate zone: Cfc (1961-90) if -3°C is the threshold, Dfc if 0°C is the winter cutoff.
In the more recent 1986-2015, climate is bordering Cfb (using -3°C) or Dfb (with 0°C as threshold).

Old 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,691,683 times
^^ Nice! What city is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
I tried to make photos form the train. It didn't work out.
I take it it's from the train from Munich to Frankfurt? Pretty green now!

Quote:
What are those
Cycas revoluta I believe. They're very common here. That's a rather unusual destination for a prolonged stay, nice to see on here. Or was it a layover? Did you see the big, glitzy city there?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM

My car A/C stopped cooling last fall. I figured winter was coming so why bother fixing it. I suffered a couple of days without it.

Luckily Spring was cool enough but still suffered a couple of more days. Now that summer is here and we're getting mid-upper 80s there's no time to waste anymore.

The car wasn't cooling off below low 80s. There was no cold air coming out. This mornings low of 63 and with the sun it reached 105°F

but why pay over $150USD to fix it when you can get this for $35?

I love those words "Sub Zero" and "18% colder"

Pressure was only 175psi. I charged it to 325psi.

Within seconds crisp cold air started coming out and the temp started dropping.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:54 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,249,448 times
^^^Lol I have the same thermometer, cheap replacement my broken Lacrosse model, I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather