Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Can't wait for daylight saving time.

Wow. I'm like a month away from the Mags looking like that even though things are like 2-3 weeks early here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Drizzle was forecast later in the afternoon, in the liquid form at the lowest elevations. Had only made it 2200 feet, but it started snowing on me. Graupel?

Got harder. Was very wet snow, didn't seem to have much of a snowflake form. And was warm enough it melted fast upon hitting my clothing.

Wind was blasting on the mountain summits. I could hear it overhead but mostly the valley blocked the wind. As I got higher, the gusts started hitting me. With the snow it felt not like the friendliest hiking conditions. Concerned if it changed over to rain, but it shouldn't the higher elevations were colder. Couldn't figure out where the trail went at a certain point; with the heavy snow + wind. And the fact there were no views of the mountains, I gave up trying to find and turned around. The rough trail was slower than I expected.

Nice story and pics. Next time you go up PM me. I'll grab some close-ups of Satellite and Radar.

I assume you didn't check the models day before or maybe the forecasts were off, or you just don't care getting caught like that? Whenever there's any kind of clouds, moisture, system, winds, instability, those mountains up high are tough to be on.

Did your hands, feet or head get wet at all? You're lucky you were able to turn around PLUS knew the trail/mountain otherwise you can easily take a wrong turn and get lost especially with the prints getting covered fast.

Were you checking the vertical profile temps to see if it was going to change to rain? You can tell if you're close. the Flakes would be Huge Fat heavy and judging by your description sounded like it wanted to change over soon. But sounds like it stopped instead of drizzled?

How long were you hiking in the snow for before getting back to near the trail head and clearing up?

When you say "next day" did you camp out in a tent or stay at the top? Sorry if that wasn't clear. Didn't sound like you made it to the top.

I was going to like the Bridge photo best but I have a fear of those walking bridges. lol So chose that one.

Last edited by Cambium; 03-13-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
More stuff Budding. I believe a Red Maple. Weather feels like May and Scenery looks like April.

Close up of that tree. Funky.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:03 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
^^ Isn't Wilmington island zone 8b? I thought it would get a bit too cold in winter for queen palms, especially knowing that some winters get significantly lower than the zone 8b temp bracket.

Since 1990 Savannah Airport has not gone below 17F (8b). Savannah airport since 1990 averages a winter lowest temp of 21F, so since the 80's went bye bye it is zone 9a. I saw Queens in Savannah this year that survived 2014 (cause I saw pics on garden forum from before 2014). Didn't see any Queen palms quite a bit inland near the Savannah Airport. The Savannah Airport went down to 19F in 2014. Of course, the 1980's there killed far more than Queen palms. That decade was just incredibly cold in North America.

Lots of micro climates around the Sea Islands. There are pygmy date palms on Tybee Island and Hilton Head Island that survived 2014.

It would seem that Queens in the coastal South from say Hilton Head Island on down, as long as no ice precip, can survive temps below 20F cause on Weather Underground both Wilmington Island and Tybee Island went down to around 18F. Also, no day where the temp stays below 0C the entire day as that would kill a Queen I'm pretty sure. I saw a number of Queen palms on both Tybee and Wilmington and of course more CIDP.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:18 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Green starting to appear on the sawtooth oak in my backyard. It seems like about 2 weeks early.
Sawtooth oak on Feb 21.

3 weeks later.

Pecan tree still looks bare. It's usually one of the last trees to bloom.

Grass is mostly green now.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:32 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times
March has been so far colder than February...
Still quite a lot of snow:
today afternoon

evening:

Old 03-13-2016, 03:05 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Can certainly tell it snowed over green grass here as it never had time to brown last fall:

Some yards are totally green like this as the snow just melted past day or so.

The same section of grass from second week of November last year, (usually brown by october):

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-13-2016, 04:14 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
So we went for a walk today around the Heathrow area, here are a few pics. Temp was 11c/52f and it was almost cloudless.

Most of these trees are ash (you can see the seeds hanging off), which usually leaf quite late. Lots of parsley, dock, and nettles around in the undergrowth.

This was the same area where I took pics last summer, though now the grass is green and all of the brambles, hogweed and other meadow plants are just dried up sticks.

United 767 departing.

BA 747 roaring into the sky. The dark patch of grass is from a fire last June.

Qatar A380.

More ash trees.

What is this? There are a few of them around and they look strange.

This is the Heathrow biodiversity area. Most of the trees in this picture are hawthorns, which are only just starting to come into leaf.

Horse chestnut buds. These will be fully green in about 3 weeks, but they are one of the first trees to lose their leaves in October. Cherries on the other hand seem to be the first in leaf in March, and the last to lose thie leaves in December.

Spot the A321!

Hawthorn flowers and leaves.

Trachy.

Another random residential road.

Magnolia bloom.

Plane spotters waiting for the next departure.

And there it goes, a BA 787.

Pine cones.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:19 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
So we went for a walk today around the Heathrow area, here are a few pics. Temp was 11c/52f and it was almost cloudless.

Most of these trees are ash (you can see the seeds hanging off), which usually leaf quite late. Lots of parsley, dock, and nettles around in the undergrowth.

This was the same area where I took pics last summer, though now the grass is green and all of the brambles, hogweed and other meadow plants are just dried up sticks.

United 767 departing.

BA 747 roaring into the sky. The dark patch of grass is from a fire last June.

Qatar A380.

More ash trees.

What is this? There are a few of them around and they look strange.

This is the Heathrow biodiversity area. Most of the trees in this picture are hawthorns, which are only just starting to come into leaf.

Horse chestnut buds. These will be fully green in about 3 weeks, but they are one of the first trees to lose their leaves in October. Cherries on the other hand seem to be the first in leaf in March, and the last to lose thie leaves in December.

Spot the A321!

Hawthorn flowers and leaves.

Trachy.

Another random residential road.

Magnolia bloom.

Plane spotters waiting for the next departure.

And there it goes, a BA 787.

Pine cones.
Beautiful. But I have to say Tom was wrong. Raleigh is far less deciduous than the pics of London you posted, your pics In term deciduous tree looked like some where in the foothill of the mountains here. And we are also far ahead of you in terms of spring growth and would have been even without this heat we are having.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Beautiful. But I have to say Tom was wrong. Raleigh is far less deciduous than the pics of London you posted, your pics In term deciduous tree looked like some where in the foothill of the mountains here. And we are also far ahead of you in terms of spring growth and would have been even without this heat we are having.
Well you are 15 degrees further south than here.

Most of the trees you see in those pics are ash and hawthorn. The only evergreens I could spot in the pics were pines, eucalyptus, cypress and the trachycarpus palm. Most parts of London are a lot more evergreen though, as seen in last weekend's pictures, or even these from February:
Spoiler

These were from last weekend.
Spoiler

Last edited by B87; 03-13-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 04:49 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

Looks much better under sunny skies. I like that second last pic with the evergreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather