Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
I doubt that Evergreen Magnolia would survive in East Asia at Same Latitude.. Mid Atlantic Really is Subtropical.

Broadleaf evergreens exist at higher latitudes in China than eastern North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 02:47 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Broadleaf evergreens exist at higher latitudes in China than eastern North America.
That poster seems like a troll. If that's not the case, then you must not even bother arguing with them because it won't register.

We showed examples before comparing the SE U.S and this thick skulled poster still goes on with this dribble.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:52 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
That poster seems like a troll. If that's not the case, then you must not even bother arguing with them because it won't register.

We showed examples before comparing the SE U.S and this thick skulled poster still goes on with this dribble.
He seems to have a particular agenda with downplaying Eastern US cold, while hyping up cold in the SH and other continents.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Is that Star magnolia? That is not an evergreen species.
Magnolia kobus, subspecies of the star magnolia.
Come on, evergreen magnolia would never survive our winters here. Even deciduous magnolia might die during our winter.
Southern Central Finland and coastal Central Norway are the highest latitudes where magnolias survive at all on our planet. In Canada the similar latitude is an arctic tundra.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
I really like Sweetbay Magnolia. Most around here are evergreen or semi-evergreen. Rarely do you see a leafless one in winter.

In VA Beach and DC they are evergreen and from there on South completely evergreen. Not sure about inland like Raleigh though.
I don't think I've ever seen Sweetbay here, although it's possible I just haven't noticed one. I do like Sweetbay however, especially the southern form. 'Moonglow' is my favorite cultivar, I think it originated in Florida but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Not sure why, but that one looks a little rough. The leaves look slightly yellowish. Wonder if that is because you went down to 0F, while here we went down to 8F.

They look very green in the city right now.
That could be a reason, although there's one across the street in a grassier area that's larger, fuller, and darker. There's a street around the corner from the one in the pic that's lined with Southern Magnolias and they always look sparse and beat up, I attributed it to them being street trees, which seem to suffer no matter the species. But now that I think about it, I wonder if they're actually Sweetbay, which doesn't look as full as grandiflora.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
He seems to have a particular agenda with downplaying Eastern US cold, while hyping up cold in the SH and other continents.
Its just the Truth,if you dont accept,ok. I will leave you with your mind of the US South being a Cold Wasteland.

Ok it even can get some Cold temps 1 time in 50 years,this isolated event make the Climate Cold Subartic? No,THANKS.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:21 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Its just the Truth,if you dont accept,ok. I will leave you with your mind of the US South being a Cold Wasteland.

Ok it even can get some Cold temps 1 time in 50 years,this isolated event make the Climate Cold Subartic? No,THANKS.
It's not subarctic or subtropical. The East coast of the US is humid continental.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

Exactly, and he doesn't even live in the Northern Hemisphere.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I guess you wish you had that beautiful background to beaches in southern France? Seem like you traverse your country regularly.
Then you have places near Marseille have both: crappy beaches and an ugly background. It does get better from Marseille westwards. Nevertheless, beaches on the Atlantic, Channel and North Sea have much finer sand and a much less steep slope than down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
France is brilliant, I think they get 36 days of paid annual holiday each year.. in the UK it is just 28 days
Yup, 25 vacation days and 11 national holidays. I had to take Friday off though. I've heard that Holy Friday is off in the UK (as well as in a lot of European countries). Had I worked in the UK, I wouldn't have had to take a day off.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:45 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Some interesting clouds from earlier this evening, just after 7pm. The sun was setting behind me and lighting up the base of the cloud, making it look a bit like a wall cloud (though it was just standard cumulus). Today was partly cloudy and 13c.

Looked better in person, my camera phone is a bit crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather