Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It amazes me how far ahead Philly is than NW NJ. I guess being rural and higher elevation makes all the difference.

I'll have to get out to the burbs next week and get some shots to see how far along they are. I went out there in March and got pulled over by the cop, but it seemed to me that suburb was very similar to the city. There is someone on here from Doylestown, which is like 20 or so miles north of the city. That I would think would be behind, but not to the level of NW NJ. The winter temps, and the elevation there make it much more like Scranton than Philadelphia. And Scranton is way behind Southeastern PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I guess Philly's uhi prevented the city from dropping as low as these rural areas during the cold snap, imagine during a regular year they would be all closer together.

We dropped into the mid 20'sF so we were pretty bad also. And no, in a regular year SE PA is always further along than CT or NW New Jersey. That is like saying Raleigh equals Wilmington, NC. Way different.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I guess Philly's uhi prevented the city from dropping as low as these rural areas during the cold snap, imagine during a regular year they would be all closer together.

And Raleigh has a UHI as well you know. I bet far outside Raleigh it didn't green up nearly as fast. That is repeated in every town and city in this country and world. Rural areas are just plain colder than cities and even towns. That is fact until you get to coastal areas.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Planted my first tomatoes this afternoon.

Getting pretty lush here.

Considering your climate and latitude you should have looked like that in winter.

My understanding is you guys have difficulty with tomatoes after mid June is that right? I know that is true on the Gulf Coast. Way too humid and hot and the tomaters just fry up and get rot or mold.

The beauty of our climate is tomatoes start being picked in June and go all thru to October with no stopping. Tomatoes prefer 80'sF far more than 90'sF. Everyone thinks tomatoes like hot dry weather and that is not true. They like warm, but not really hot and humid. Nothing in the US beats a jersey tomato imo. Perfect sandy loamy soil and climate for them in summer. You should see the huge beefsteaks we get from farmers markets in summer.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The beauty of our climate is tomatoes start being picked in June and go all thru to October with no stopping. Tomatoes prefer 80'sF far more than 90'sF. Everyone thinks tomatoes like hot dry weather and that is not true. They like warm, but not really hot and humid. Nothing in the US beats a jersey tomato imo. Perfect sandy loamy soil and climate for them in summer. You should see the huge beefsteaks we get from farmers markets in summer.
That's true, it doesn't need to be hot for tomatoes, just as long as it doesn't get too cold.

A good summer here for tomatoes. Those beefsteaks really did feel like slicing up beef.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 AM

592 posts, read 461,029 times
Quote:
I'll have to get out to the burbs next week and get some shots to see how far along they are. I went out there in March and got pulled over by the cop, but it seemed to me that suburb was very similar to the city. There is someone on here from Doylestown, which is like 20 or so miles north of the city. That I would think would be behind, but not to the level of NW NJ. The winter temps, and the elevation there make it much more like Scranton than Philadelphia. And Scranton is way behind Southeastern PA.
That would be me! Lol yeah, this sustained stretch of freezing nights has really slowed things down big time. I'd say 95% of the trees still have little or no leaf growth on them. In addition, the flowering magnolias were pretty badly damaged by the repetitive freezes. Here's our temps over the last 2 weeks -

April 4 --- 51/32
April 5 --- 42/25
April 6 --- 49/21
April 7 --- 57/41
April 8 --- 46/36
April 9 --- 36/28
April 10 --- 47/26
April 11 --- 63/38
April 12 --- 60/42
April 13 --- 54/31
April 14 --- 61/32
April 15 --- 62/33
April 16 --- 66/36
April 17 --- 73/34 (great during the day, but still at night)

I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post

Old 04-18-2016, 03:30 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
And Raleigh has a UHI as well you know. I bet far outside Raleigh it didn't green up nearly as fast. That is repeated in every town and city in this country and world. Rural areas are just plain colder than cities and even towns. That is fact until you get to coastal areas.
The state at this point, outside the mountains that is, looks all the same, but yeah Raleigh probably was a couple days ahead of most rural areas back in march and early april. Raleighs uhi though is not as massive as phillys.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Considering your climate and latitude you should have looked like that in winter.

My understanding is you guys have difficulty with tomatoes after mid June is that right? I know that is true on the Gulf Coast. Way too humid and hot and the tomaters just fry up and get rot or mold.

I wonder, what will happen to my tomatoes this summer, never knew they can rot because of heat and humidity, then again the gulf is more humid than here.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
We dropped into the mid 20'sF so we were pretty bad also. And no, in a regular year SE PA is always further along than CT or NW New Jersey. That is like saying Raleigh equals Wilmington, NC. Way different.
No, we are never really that far behind Wilmington nc, maybe a week at most but that's because they are warmer. Also considering your averages are close to his the difference should never be that stark, I know you will be ahead but not that ahead, they should have more growth than that.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Comparison pic... You can CLEARLY see we are ahead this year.

Last year April 16th on left. This year on right.

Last year about 2 weeks late. This year we are normal now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather