U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:37 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,000,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Come visit me in Missouri about January 1st elfyum...bring a few layers, and we'll go play in the snow until our hands and feet turn numb ! C'mon, great fun! Here's a sneak preview of the comforts awaiting you...we can sweep some snow off the deck, have a bbq, then frolic in the woods!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/cid_Photo-0018.jpg (broken link)
Man look at that privacy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 12:36 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,303,050 times
MoMark - thanks but no thanks! (Though nice of you to offer... )
I'm having a hard enough time keeping warm in - 73???!!! - I just looked & am in SHOCK that it's that "warm"... Coulda fooled ME! I'm cold!
But yeah, like Charlotte said - look at all that privacy! Must be nice!

NAH - yes we have a thermometer which is dead on! Much more accurate than the reported temps...For Miami they use the airport. That is way SW of us...
The space heater isn't as bad as central ac! What's the most times I would need heat, maybe 2 weeks total broken up...AC is on 8 or 9 months of the year!!! Our bill was only 137 last month!!! YIPEE!!! Summer was 250!

ColdCan - yeah, that avererage thing is BS!!! Supposedly our average lows in Dec Jan & Feb are mid 60's. Yeah - I wish!!! How many years did they use to compute that, cause it's Nov & it's been 50's for a few days now & I'm sure this is NOT that last of it! We're not even in winter yet!!!
If ONLY it was never lower than mid 60's! That's cold enough!!!
So NAH - don't be fooled by those "averages"...

Grammy - 62 indoors sucks doesn't it?! C'mon Sun! Although I don't want Sun cause I gotta go back to work at 9am on Mon (Lord have mercy!) but man I can't take this sh*t!

Old 11-23-2006, 02:54 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,908,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
ColdCan - yeah, that avererage thing is BS!!! Supposedly our average lows in Dec Jan & Feb are mid 60's. Yeah - I wish!!! How many years did they use to compute that, cause it's Nov & it's been 50's for a few days now & I'm sure this is NOT that last of it! We're not even in winter yet!!!
If ONLY it was never lower than mid 60's! That's cold enough!!!
So NAH - don't be fooled by those "averages"...
I'm not fooled by the averages. Like I said before I believe tropical means a climate with a combination of 12 months at or above 68 F (between day and night) AND completely frost free.

*If I was to invent the definition it'd be an all-time record low 56 F or higher, 12 months a year with an average of 75 F or more between day and night.*

There are weather stations in southern California that have never seen frost and they've been around almost 100 years. They can't be tropical however because their averages are too cool to get that designation.

For example San Diego averages about 65 F day and maybe 48 F night in winter. That's a daily average 56.5 degrees. Those beach areas might be a bit milder, but they probably would be even cooler in the day, like maybe 63 F and maybe mid 50's F at night. In both places, not even the daytime high is warm enough for the scientists' category.

elfyum: You don't want to see sun on a today because you have work on Monday?!? Being Thursday, that's four days away. I'm confused. Are you having a liquid Thanksgiving dinner instead of turkey? (just kidding)

Old 11-23-2006, 05:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,437,841 times
The space heater isn't as bad as central ac! What's the most times I would need heat, maybe 2 weeks total broken up...AC is on 8 or 9 months of the year!!! Our bill was only 137 last month!!! YIPEE!!! Summer was 250!
//UNQUOTE

Oh my Elfy, our summer cooling bills are never that high, BUT you ought to see some of the winter heating bills up here. We've downsized from the home we had for years, but 250 is not a high bill for us during the winter months. We have neighbors who have larger homes and it's nothing for them to have a 400-500 bill during the winter. It's been SO nice here compared to normal, but mid next week reality is supposed to be setting in. Any apartments or jobs near your place? If so, save them for me.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,794,913 times

Really cold in Montana! Unusually warm in the states above TX!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

Really cold in Montana! Unusually warm in the states above TX!
No kidding...

If you look on the map at the second Canadian province in from the west, which borders northwest Montana you'll see Alberta. Well Edmonton, about 7 hours drive north of the border has already had mornings below -30C which is below -22F.

NHL Hockey fans would know about the Edmonton Oilers. It's where Wayne Gretsky played for years before switching to the Los Angeles Kings. (He married a Californian) Is he well known in the U.S.A.? Up in Canada he's the most well known Canadian athlete in recent years, like Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,794,913 times
This is insane! How cold does northwest Canada get? I see some of the cold from Canada has seeped into Montana and that state is in the low minus!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,437,841 times
CC, do you live right about northwest Mont. and if not, where do you live? AS you know, I live in So. Dak. where it's nice and balmy right now. Actually, today will be tolerable, but we're in for some of that Canadian chill.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 AM

I live between 1/8th to 1/4 inch north west of the "45" in western NY where Buffalo should be.

How cold does NW Canada get? Actually if your talking about their coldest records or even coldest days of the year, it's almost the same anywhere east of the Rockies to at least half way to the Great Lakes. (Prairie country and northward) The further north you go, the main difference is the insane cold just lasts longer I think. Most places in the Prairies have official records of actual air temperatures below -50 C or -58 F. (I have a scientific calculator to do precise conversions) Ft. McMurray near the Tar Sands, which is like 6 hours north of Edmonton has a record around -57 C which is -71 F.

I've heard of tales where they've had -64 C windchills. That's -83 F. Anyways I met a guy who had a story about -64 C windchill. He had a car that was running for at least 10-20 min and happen to come to an intersection. Unfortunately the radiator was facing the wind. He let it idle like most people would do and he could actually watch the car's temperature gauge cool off from near-operating temperature to nothing in a matter of a minute or two. He said it either stopped his car's engine, or it almost stopped it.

It seems in some places out west, -100 F (-73 C) windchill is not out of the question.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-28-2006 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Default Brrrrr!

Looks like this cold spell has hit Northern California, because it's coooold outside! Might not impress those of you in the north & east, but for us it's freezing... today's forecast is high of 56 & low of 32, tomorrow's 58 & 30. It's fairly unusual for us to drop below 38-ish, especially in November. I thought we were in global warming, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or