Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:18 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Sydney, which is humid subtropical (Cfa), closely borders the oceanic climate (Cfb) to the west (Blue Mountains) and south (Wollongong). What about your city?

(NOT to be confused with "transitional", where a city would be halfway between two climate zones.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,123 times
Monroe is pretty close to a Cfa climate and NYC is pretty close to being a Dfa climate.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:35 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Sydney, which is humid subtropical (Cfa), closely borders the oceanic climate (Cfb) to the west (Blue Mountains) and south (Wollongong). What about your city?

(NOT to be confused with "transitional", where a city would be halfway between two climate zones.)
Wollongong and Sydney's different climate grouping, are proof that classifications are useless.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Nowra, and never felt like a trip to Sydney was a journey from one climate zone to another.

My climate has areas that are 9C colder, within 15 km.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Wollongong and Sydney's different climate grouping, are proof that classifications are useless.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Nowra, and never felt like a trip to Sydney was a journey from one climate zone to another.

My climate has areas that are 9C colder, within 15 km.
Tell me about it.

Didn't I once tell you (in a little debate) that Koppen's system is kinda BS and needs some alterations?

Old 03-04-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Tell me about it.

Didn't I once tell you (in a little debate) that Koppen's system is kinda BS and needs some alterations?
I tried to start a thread on the uselessness of classifications, but it crashed and burned.

When an imaginary line is drawn between two climates as similar as Sydney and Wollongong, then one can only conclude, that deceit is the intention.

The golden rule is - "climates that feel the same, are the same'

Last edited by Joe90; 03-04-2016 at 01:10 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
We're Cfa, but closely border Dfa. Nashville, TN averages 37.7 F / 3.2 C in January; my area averages probably about 3 degrees F colder. (34.7 F / 1.5 C), not far from Dfa.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I tried to start a thread on the uselessness of classifications, but it crashed and burned.

When an imaginary line is drawn between two climates as similar as Sydney and Wollongong, then one can only conclude, that deceit is the intention.

The golden rule is - "climates that feel the same, are the same'
Sydney and Wollongong could both be Cfb or Cfa. These two seem like "climatic twins". I just don't see them under two different climate zones.

However, the inland suburbs of Sydney (i.e. Penrith and Richmond) do differ from Sydney and Wollongong. Perhaps you can label the suburbs Cfa (for their warmer summers), and the coastal cities (which have cooler, breezier summers) as Cfb.

P.S. Nowra and Picton, which are closer to Wollongong (though inland) seem like Cfa's to me.

Anyway, that's how I would classify the region:

Attached Thumbnails
What (Koppen) climate does your city closely border?-sydney_basin.jpg  

Last edited by Ethereal; 03-04-2016 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
London is not close to any other climate zones, but individual years are as likely to be classified as Csb as they are Cfb.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Either Sydney and Wollongong could both be Cfb or Cfa - I don't know. Because these two seem like "climatic twins". I just don't see them under two different climate zones.

However, the inland suburbs of Sydney (i.e. Penrith and Richmond) do differ from Sydney and Wollongong. Perhaps you can label the suburbs Cfa (for their warmer summers), and the coastal cities (which have cooler, breezier summers) as Cfb.

P.S. Nowra and Picton, which are closer to Wollongong (though inland) seem like Cfa's to me.

Anyway, that's how I would classify the region:
So Sydney is fundamentally more similar to Glasgow, than it is to Penrith?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
So Sydney is fundamentally more similar to Glasgow, than it is to Penrith?
Yeaaaah...I guess that's when Koppen's blatant flaws show.

Heck, according to Koppen, Goulburn and Wagga Wagga, which are Cfb's, are more like Glasgow than they are like Sydney, apparently. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather