Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Eureka, Nunavut 8 13.56%
Wyndham, Western Australia 51 86.44%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:34 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times

Advertisements

With AC, Wyndham. Not bad at all. Without AC, I'd have to think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Why is Wyndham so much hotter than Darwin even though it is further south?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Wyndham will win by a landslide except for with the hardcore coldies.
Should have used Dallol or Mecca instead.
1. Both are done to death.
2. Wyndham would still be more oppressive due to its high humidity. Dallol gets dry heat. Mecca gets a bit humid, but I think that Wyndham is more humid.

Anyway, surprised with the (lopsided) poll results. I'd expected Eureka to get decent amount of votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Why is Wyndham so much hotter than Darwin even though it is further south?
Darwin is on the coast, thus it's moderated by the ocean. It's also much more wetter. Wyndham is located in a hot semi-desert, much further inland.

Tropical places rarely get highs over 35C for some reason. They're very stable and consistent with their temps. It's the same reason why Mecca and Kuwait see highs of 45C, whilst the more southernmost (tropical) ones like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta never do.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:10 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times
Dew Points, Wet Bulb Temperature and Stuff for Wyndham:

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Old 03-15-2016, 08:23 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
1. Both are done to death.
2. Wyndham would still be more oppressive due to its high humidity. Dallol gets dry heat. Mecca gets a bit humid, but I think that Wyndham is more humid.

Anyway, surprised with the (lopsided) poll results. I'd expected Eureka to get decent amount of votes.
I knew that even most of the coldies would want a summer warm enough to grow some vegetation. If you insist on Wyndham and want a poll with close to even results, try either pitting it against a subpolar oceanic climate with very low sunshine hours such as Reykjavík: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reykjav%C3%ADk#Climate OR an ocean moderated subarctic climate such as Lulea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luleå#Climate OR a humid continental climate with mildly warm summers but bitter cold winters such as Saskatoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon#Climate

But personally, I feel the bimodal hot vs. cold climate battles has been done to death so I prefer battling climates based on other features or creating other ways to compare extreme climates such as Rate my fictional climate: Dalloland Station + name a real life cold climate discomfort equivilant (for you)

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 03-15-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I knew that even most of the coldies would want a summer warm enough to grow some vegetation. If you insist on Wyndham and want a poll with close to even results, try either pitting it against a subpolar oceanic climate with very low sunshine hours such as Reykjavík: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reykjav%C3%ADk#Climate OR an ocean moderated subarctic climate such as Lulea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luleå#Climate OR a humid continental climate with mildly warm summers but bitter cold winters such as Saskatoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon#Climate
Reykjavik wasn't that extreme enough. The poll would've probably been as lopsided, with Reyk winning over Wyndham. Lulea seems like a continental-like climate that has a good number of fans here and there.

I was actually thinking of doing Bear Station (against Wyndham). But I somehow thought that more people would be choosing Bear Island, because it did seem "less extreme" than Wyndham. Since it wasn't as extreme as Wyndham and Eureka, I didn't do it. I should've done Bear Island instead.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Reykjavik wasn't that extreme enough. The poll would've probably been as lopsided, with Reyk winning over Wyndham. Lulea seems like a continental-like climate that has a good number of fans here and there.

I was actually thinking of doing Bear Station (against Wyndham). But again, I somehow thought that more people would be choosing Bear Island (since cold lovers are prevalent here). Also, isn't as extreme as Wyndham and Eureka, so that's why I didn't do it. Now I regret doing Eureka (still happy with Wyndham though). I should've done Bear Island instead.
Many (but obviously not all) of the cold lovers are actual fans of four proper seasons and like their cold in the winter but at least want some summer warmth which is why a climate Rekjavik would be a good poll as it has the worst possible summer that can still grow trees paired with slushy winters (cold rain alternating with snow so no consistent snowpack) with literally almost no sun. The landscape of a tundra climate with no trees such as Bear Island (even if it has milder winters than Eureka, Canada) would be a big turn off to even the most hardiest snow/cold lovers.

Lulea seems to offer at least a little bit of summer warmth during the day as well as snowy winters, so you're probably right that it would win against Wyndham. What about Anchorage for the ocean moderated subarctic climate for an even match? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor...laska#Climate?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Many (but obviously not all) of the cold lovers are actual fans of four proper seasons and like their cold in the winter but at least want some summer warmth which is why a climate Rekjavik would be the even splitting line between Wyndam because it has "four proper seasons". Also the landscape of a tundra climate with no trees such as Bear Island (even if it has milder winters than Eureka, Canada) would be a big turn off to even the most hardiest snow/cold lovers.

Lulea seems to offer at least a little bit of summer warmth during the day as well as snowy winters, so you're probably right that it would win against Wyndham. What about Anchorage for the ocean moderated subarctic climate for an even match? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor...laska#Climate?
Yeah, maybe Anchorage against Wyndham would've been good. I could see the poll being equaled out.

If Eureka lost by such a high ratio, I guess even Bear Island wouldn't stand a chance, considering its subfreezing (though not that extreme) highs nearly all year round and lack of sunshine.

Well hey, at least now I learned that even these so-called "cold lovers" would prefer hot and persistently humid climates like Wyndham over a perpetually freezing ones like Eureka. Not much of "cold lovers" aren't they now? I mean, heck, even hot lovers would prefer their hot paradises like Mecca, Singapore, Kuwait, no matter what. I guess cold lovers have their limits, whereas hot lovers don't...(?)

Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, maybe Anchorage against Wyndham would've been good. I could see the poll being equaled out.

If Eureka lost by such a high ratio, I guess even Bear Island wouldn't stand a chance, considering its subfreezing (though not that extreme) highs nearly all year round and lack of sunshine.

Well hey, at least now I learned that even these so-called "cold lovers" would prefer hot and persistently humid climates like Wyndham over a perpetually freezing ones like Eureka. Not much of "cold lovers" aren't they now? I mean, heck, even hot lovers would prefer their hot paradises like Mecca, Singapore, Kuwait, no matter what. I guess cold lovers have their limits, whereas hot lovers don't...(?)

Errors my message posted so I corrected them (Rek does NOT have four proper seasons but Lulea comes pretty close).
Anyway, I'd still predict Wyndham would win against Anchorage. We used to have more hardcore cold lovers are regulars a while ago but now it's more even. Here is another good candidate that's more ocean moderated than Anchorage has that polar night: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tromsø#Climate

Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,445 times
I think a massive underestimation here (at least as a Canadian) is the lack or complete absence of sunlight for 6 months of the year in Eureka. Combined with the desolate landscape and barren-ground tundra (which essentially only occurs in the high arctic) found in the area, it can make for a depressing landscape. The arctic the world over (Russia, Canada, Alaska) has exorbitant suicide and substance abuse rates.

In the summer:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2d0kjk5.jpg

Cold is also a much greater impediment to civilization even with our modern technology. For example, if heat fails in Eureka, you will most certainly freeze even indoors within 24 hours (non-sheltered, frost bite would start in 5 minutes of exposed skin). In Wyndham, you would hardly suffer heat stroke provided you stayed in the shade and wet yourself with water. Plus you have issues with things like construction and maintenance due to permafrost, and thus development in the North is never substantial. For this reason, I think a more apt comparison is something like the Aziziya, Libya. Perhaps people would be less apt to choose a place with temperatures in the 50s recorded 6 months a year.

http://i66.tinypic.com/hwc1tj.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather