Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,398,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I'm so angry that so many Brits with their ill informed xenophobic & racist opinions on immigration & believing a ton of lies spouted by the likes of Farage, voted to leave the EU They have well & truly f*cked up the country & looks like the UK is going to be broken apart now too

The most ridiculous thing is that the immigrants already in the UK will not be kicked out, the only ones likely to be are the EU immigrants who have jobs, pay taxes & contribute to the economy! The UK will still have to take in refugees as well. So all they have done by voting leave is to destabalise the economy, see the £ at its lowest level for over 30 years & can expect interest rates to rise, house prices to plummet, unemployment to shoot up & be in the grip of another recession. Well done. Not only that but 1 MILLION Brits living & working in Europe could be forced to return to the UK! Brilliant...
Well you be forced to move back?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,012,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Well you be forced to move back?
I don't know, know one knows. This is exactly why it was ridiculous for people to vote "out" when so much is unknown & nobody knows the full implications...

Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,456,652 times
Good job Britain for making it obvious you want out of the EU which is sinking right now.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,325,575 times
I dont understand what cameron was thinking when he called for this referendum, his gamble will not only hurt the uks future and send it into recession but it will probably lead to the break up of the uk. This is exactly what the scottish nationalists wanted, I dont even understand how severing ties with europe is going to help immigration. Alot of the people coming into england from the eu countries were a big boost to the economy, horrible gamble by cameron to have this referendum

Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 AM

290 posts, read 210,013 times
EU citizens (non-British citizens) should not have freedom of movement in our country and should not be allowed to move to our country without thorough background checks.

The immigration situation needs to be reevaluated. A points based system where people are assessed based on their skills and merit is far superior to the current system where we let in hundreds of thousands of people from Europe, many of whom don't even have a degree and end up working in a fastfood joint.

I don't see why we should give a special pass to people born in Europe just because they are on the same continent.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,325,575 times
this kind of reminds me of the trump campaign, how do people think the american economy functions without the hard work of the mexican immigrants, from the farm industry to restaurants,construction. landscaping and hotel industry and on and on.If people are angry over immigration really crack down on the crime and gangs but the mexican work ethic is 1,000 times better than alot of white and black americans. You never see mexicans on the side of the road with a sign panhandling for money.

In the uk none of the terrorists like the london bombers in 2005 got into the uk because of the eu, it was a legacy of radicalization of young people who were children of parents who immigrated because of the uk immigration policies with places like pakistan . Leaving the eu isnt going to change the problem with homegrown radicalization one bit

This is what I read on one prediction to the british economy https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...lysis-showsNew

"Treasury analysis shows a vote to leave the EU would tip Britain’s economy into a year-long recession.

Britain’s economy would be tipped into a year-long recession, with at least 500,000 jobs lost and GDP around 3.6% lower, following a vote to leave the EU, new Treasury analysis launched today by the Prime Minister and Chancellor shows."

another prediction from same article
In the ‘shock’ scenario, which uses cautious assumptions and links the size of the transition effect to the central estimate of the UK adopting a negotiated bilateral agreement with the EU, GDP would be around 3.6% lower after two years compared to the forecast for continued growth after a vote to remain. Average real wages would be nearly 3% lower, which is a pay cut of almost £800 a year for someone working full time on the average wage.

500,000 UK jobs would be lost and the value of the pound would fall by around 12%. Inflation would also increase by over 2 percentage points and the value of people’s homes would be hit by 10% compared to Britain remaining in the EU, with a rise in uncertainty from current levels similar to that experienced in the UK during the early 1990s recession.

In this scenario net government borrowing would increase by around £24 billion, compared with a vote to remain.

Last edited by floridanative10; 06-24-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,398,288 times
Freedom of movement through western Europe is a big plus in convenience and freedom. Seems a shame to throw it a way. I wish we had open borders with Canada.

How many immigrants come from eastern Europe EU countries compared to outside Europe?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:55 AM

290 posts, read 210,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Freedom of movement through western Europe is a big plus in convenience and freedom. Seems a shame to throw it a way. I wish we had open borders with Canada.

How many immigrants come from eastern Europe EU countries compared to outside Europe?
Why should we give mainland Europeans a special pass to live in our country, unchecked? They are outsiders just like anyone else as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
this kind of reminds me of the trump campaign, how do people think the american economy functions without the hard work of the mexican immigrants, from the farm industry to restaurants,construction. landscaping and hotel industry and on and on.If people are angry over immigration really crack down on the crime and gangs but the mexican work ethic is 1,000 times better than alot of white and black americans. You never see mexicans on the side of the road with a sign panhandling for money.
That's a winning platform with white voters: we need more immigrants because you're lazy.

I mean, there is some need for unskilled immigration to do jobs, but businesses exaggerate; it's usually at wages and conditions native-born Americans don't want to work at, and many of them filled those jobs decades ago and businesses find it more convenient to replace them with cheaper immigrant labor.

Quote:
In the uk none of the terrorists like the london bombers in 2005 got into the uk because of the eu, it was a legacy of radicalization of young people who were children of parents who immigrated because of the uk immigration policies with places like pakistan . Leaving the eu isnt going to change the problem with homegrown radicalization one bit
Yea, I don't get the connection of immigration issues with the EU, either.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
Why should we give mainland Europeans a special pass to live in our country, unchecked? They are outsiders just like anyone else as far as I am concerned.
So British can live in mainland Europe unchecked. Similarly, I'd be fine with Canadian given a special pass to live in the US, but not Mexicans.

Also, are we talking about freedom of movement or freedom to live and work long-term? Not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.