Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike;43717112[B
]But why is their foliage so dense and lush while the same can not be said about the same trees in Australia?
[/b]
It depends on the species. Eucalyptus are the dominant introduced species around here, and any species look exactly the same here as they do in Australia. Fast growing too - 100ft in 15 tears..

I've got a few Eucalyptus to cut down in a few weeks. These are typical of many gums (the generic name here) in that they are "widow makers" - big trees with big dead limbs that have the potential to drop on the poor clown on the end of the chainsaw. Better lay off the liquor until I'm done cutting.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Not only are we a dry country overall, but we also have the most nutrient-deficient soils in the world.

Our natural environment | australia.gov.au
That's probably exactly why it isn't as lush. If it had the same soils as the Eastern US, it would be just as if not more lush.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
That's probably exactly why it isn't as lush. If it had the same soils as the Eastern US, it would be just as if not more lush.

Are our soils in the eastern US that great? I thought the Great Plains had the best soil.

The higher the rainfall the more the soil is washed out.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Maybe it has something to do with trees that are native to dry climates. The cork oak is native to the Med region and Spain and Portugal. Here is one in the heavy rainfall locale of Redcliffe Plantation near Augusta, GA and Aiken, SC. It has a thicker trunk, but the canopy still looks kind of scrawny like Eucalyptus.

Quercus Suber Redcliff Plantation Photo by jlevert | Photobucket

Old 04-14-2016, 11:35 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are our soils in the eastern US that great? I thought the Great Plains had the best soil.

The higher the rainfall the more the soil is washed out.
Yeah, the Great Plains definitely have better soil than us, but I imagine we have better soils than Australia.

I think you could be right about the trees in Australia being more adapted to dry conditions though. That's actually a good point. Maybe eucalyptus trees are more adapted to drought and extreme dry conditions, therefore not as lush. I know the likes of Sydney get more extreme low RH % compared to anywhere in the Eastern US.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:32 AM

48 posts, read 72,592 times
Soil quality does have an impact, but not in terms of nutrients, but rather in mechanical property. Most forests like soils that have decent water retention (but not slow draining), and are easy enough for trees to grow through.

In parts of Florida with extremely sandy soils, the vegetation present is very scrubby, and the landscape is effectively arid-looking, despite being in a region that receives more rain than the vast majority of the continental US. The sandy soil doesn't have good water retention, and, thus, water drains to the ground before the plants can utilize it.

Parts of Texas and Louisiana have the opposite problem; areas in both states have areas of heavy clay soil, which is poor draining (thus remains too soggy for regular forest growth at times), and very sticky when wet, while hard as rock while dry. Some varieties of clay soil are expansive, cracking whenever dry for some time; such mechanical stress can prove challenging to tree growth, and thus, many areas with such soils, even in wet climates, have landscapes like prairies, wetlands, etc. Forest can still grow, just not as easily as in an ideal soil type.

There is a crescent shape region swinging from MS to AL (visible on Google Maps) known as the Black Belt; the region has the expansive clay soil described above, and, as a result, landscapes like prairie are occurring in such a far eastern region of the US.

Such soil qualities can affect tree growth, or even whether or not forest grows at all. Australia, thus, could have large areas of soil with the mechanical properties that prevent forest growth from looking "lush" in many areas.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:55 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
The UK has quite a lot of woodlands and forests (even after much of it was cut down), and the clay soil in the SE doesn't seem to impede growth.

It's the sandy soil areas that look like scrubland here. The soils in the northern half of Australia are laterites, which have a crust baked into the surface, preventing water from reaching plant roots.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM

633 posts, read 661,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The UK has quite a lot of woodlands and forests (even after much of it was cut down), and the clay soil in the SE doesn't seem to impede growth.

It's the sandy soil areas that look like scrubland here. The soils in the northern half of Australia are laterites, which have a crust baked into the surface, preventing water from reaching plant roots.
same thing here in Florida. 50"+ yearly rainfall doesn't mean much when the soil is so well drained. there are some isolated areas in central Florida that are literally an arid landscape, populated by dwarf oaks and drought resistant pines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_scrub

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 04-15-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 11:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
i ask to myself,why in South America they are Deciduous and in Australia/New Zealand they are Evergreen,as you know all the Temperate Deciduous Species in Southern Hemisphere belong to one Genus,the Nothofagus,we can compare with the genus Acer(Maple),that is divided in a lot of SubSpecies. here are they Range:
NZ has a two tree daisy (Oleria) species that are deciduous, as well as Sophora and Fuscia, They are found at low elevation rather than high elevation, and typically in drier climates.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've seen my fair share of Aussie bush, but I wasn't looking at the sky.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather