Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:48 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
Thanks for the reply! I've always been a fan of winter weather, but not extreme cold. Unfortunately, most places with moderately cold winters are frequently above freezing while most places that are rarely above freezing in winter are bitterly cold. I imagined a climate with winters that are consistently cold and snowy but not frigid.

Also, I'm not a big fan of heat; I think that's pretty obvious The summer temperatures are actually very similar to Thurso, Scotland.

Attachment 177650
The biggest downside about places with cold winters is that these winters often drag well into spring, and usually start very early too. Some climates (mostly in Central Asia/Western US) do manage to have very quick warmups, like this climate for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aksu,_Xinjiang#Climate but in general a four season climate implies that you are going to get a bit more than 3 months of winter. Growing up in Moscow I remember one time walking to school on something like May 4th with a foot of snow outside, I also remember we got a surprising snowstorm in the middle of September. And living in Upstate NY it's not much better, snow season is pretty much from October/November until May. Imagine a job that is technically 9-5, except that the boss expects you to show up a 'bit' earlier so you can set up, as well as stay well past closing time a couple of times a week. That's what being in a four season cliamte is like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 05:52 PM

149 posts, read 89,413 times
I kind of experienced the opposite of what you describe here with summer. I don't get angry with temperatures in the 90s from late May to early September, but by the time October arrives, I'm definitely sick of it. This year, we had a high of 91 degrees on NOVEMBER 1ST, breaking the record of 88 degrees that we set LAST YEAR. Even worse, last year we had a low of 70 degrees on CHRISTMAS, with dewpoints in the 70s as well. That is unacceptable to me. Before, I thought that even here in the South we were safe from summerlike conditions in the winter, but the nightmare that was late autumn-early winter 2015 broke that illusion. I want to live in a place where above average temperatures are still within my comfort zone.

I'm not saying that a blizzard with subzero temperatures and howling winds is better than this - by any objective measure, it really isn't. I'm not trying to glorify cold climates, and I'm definitely not telling people that they're wrong for enjoying year-round warmth. I've been a lurker on the weather forums for a while, and too often I see cold-lovers tell warmth-lovers that their desire for warm and hot weather is somehow incorrect and that their negative experiences with cold climates are exaggerated; I don't support that behavior at all. But as a matter of personal preference, I've come to strongly dislike heat and warmth, especially when it starts in March and doesn't really end until January, which is what happened here last year. For all I know, I could be a mild weather lover and I might hate cold, snowy winters. That's why I really want to try out a cold-winter climate to see if that's the case. My ideal climate might change quite dramatically in the future, but for now, I'd like a climate with consistently cold, snowy winters.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:42 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,847 times
Just one of my many ideal climates
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-27-2016, 05:27 PM

Real world amazing climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo#Climate

Old 11-28-2016, 04:46 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Personally I think this one is the best climate of South America though With averages being a little old, it may be even better now! (as in 15/10 winters but with not so much warmer summers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_del_Este#Climate

Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 AM

Not a bad climate, but I went there yesterday and right by the ocean it is FREEZING. But if you live one or two blocks inland it's not a problem check out the Cononia del Sacramento climate and tell me what you think

Old 11-28-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Not a bad climate, but I went there yesterday and right by the ocean it is FREEZING. But if you live one or two blocks inland it's not a problem check out the Cononia del Sacramento climate and tell me what you think
It's a decent bridge between Montevideo's and Punta del Este's climates, although I'd be a little concerned about summer dew points would I live there! It looks like a wetter version of Lisbon's near-coastal areas

Old 11-28-2016, 06:42 AM

I noticed that Uruguay's climate data is kinda old, so probably the 80-10 data would be a degree or do warmer

Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 PM

149 posts, read 89,413 times
Looking back at some old ideal climate threads, I see that some people created fully fleshed-out worlds for their dream climates, so I figured, why not do the same? I've already stooped to the level of creating fictional climates in the first place, so here it goes:

Planet Description and Climate Notes
Frost Point is located on the planet Hypnos that is Earthlike in every respect except temperature. The average global temperature is approximately -15F, and in many ways the planet resembles the hypothesized "Snowball Earth", a period when even the tropics may have been locked up in ice. However, the tropics of this world contain open water, allowing some precipitation. The city itself is in the subtropical region of the planet at 31N on the edge of a peninsula (though considering the perpetually frozen ocean it hardly matters). Despite the frigid climate, Frost Point is very sunny in all seasons due to its latitude (one of my primary incentives for putting it on another planet was so it could have high sunshine without being located at a death-inducing altitude). The snow never melts, but it doesn't build up into an ice sheet due to sublimation and wind (think McMurdo Station, which isn't buried under ice despite average summer highs around freezing and regular snowfall). It is one of the largest outposts in the Milky Way and the largest city on its planet with a population of just under one million. The next largest city is New Tórshavn, another outpost located on an equatorial island. The name of the planet refers to the fact that it is geologically, meterorologically, and biologically dormant: the only indigenous life on the planet takes the form of microbes resembling cyanobacteria in the tropical oceans, and extreme weather is virtually nonexistent. Local temperatures average from 40F on tropical islands to -120F at the poles, and extremes range from 61F to -193F.

City Description
Frost Point is a rather futuristic metropolis. The city itself exists as a scientific outpost akin to present-day research stations in Antarctica but far larger and far more sophisticated. Its skyline doesn't look like much--all buildings are plain, white, reflective monoliths with few exterior features, blending in perfectly with the natural environment--nevertheless, it is exceptionally clean and largely self-sustaining with none of the problems of contemporary cities such as pollution and noise.

Cars are nonexistent; all transportation is accomplished by either a highly efficient high-speed rail network or simply walking. Yes, walking: the residents of Frost Point embrace the cold, and spend much of their time outside. This is more pleasant than one might think thanks to advanced clothing that is lightweight but highly insulating; furthermore, the level of insulation is adjustable, abolishing the need for dressing in layers.

Solar and wind power provide all of Frost Point's energy, much of which is used for the massive Agricultural District that serves as the city's main source of food. The district contains a multitude of high-rise buildings that grow crops of every variety within their climate-controlled interiors, permitting Frost Point residents a far greater selection of food at far lower prices than any contemporary Earth city.

Due to the city's role as a scientific outpost, all residents are highly educated through a school system that is far less grueling than anything on Earth right now. Education is accomplished entirely through automated systems that require from a student no more than a few hours of study per day yet produce far better results than traditional classroom teaching. The literacy rate is 100% while the obesity rate is 0%; serious health problems in general are extremely rare due to good diets, exercise, low stress, and an extremely efficient healthcare system bolstered by advanced medical technology. Anti-aging technology means that life expectancy is infinite, and as a result the age range in Frost Point is enormous: those who were born just in time to have access to the technology before they died are as old as 400. Despite this, many traditionally choose to end their lives when they turn 100, which coupled with a very low birthrate means that overpopulation is not an issue.

Leisure activities in Frost Point are diverse, from ordinary sports to virtual reality simulations to sightseeing tours of the nearby Ice Caves along the coastline. Due to its sheer number of amenities, it has been nicknamed the "Fun Capital of the Galaxy". The city is the host of the Ice Hockey Interstellar Championship, which millions of people come from light years away to attend. Its level of leisure contrasts with the much more businesslike New Tórshavn, which is understandable: New Tórshavn is of far greater scientific importance; its main purpose is to study the first exoplanetary life to be discovered.

The city is also a part of the search for Hinnom, a rebellious outpost on an inhospitable planet that managed to completely wipe its location from all databases. Little is known about the community at present, but severe human rights violations are strongly suspected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FrostPointClimateNew.png
Views:	108
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	178035

Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

Warszawa//

Is this one very close to your ideal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florianópolis#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather