Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer?
San Fransisco 11 26.83%
San Jose 30 73.17%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times

Advertisements

San Francisco, because it's cooler. 8.3 precipitation days in 5 months is still bad, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
A hard one.

San Jose seems a bit "continental" for my liking. I wouldn't be able to stand 14C highs in winter, followed by 27C highs in the summer, despite how mild they are. Sure, it's no Chicago or NYC, but the seasonal changes will still be miserable. Maybe it's because I'm used to my relatively year-round consistent climate, I don't know.

San Francisco, despite being cooler, is a at least more consistent and stable all year round. So I think, I'm gonna have to go with SF. San Jose would've won if its winter highs were around 17C-18C to the least.
Continental ?? I know you live in Sydney but come on.... these winters are really mild, and the summers are warm without actually being hot, the transitions are actually very smooth.

I guess you would not survive here, their January looks like our March and their July is like September weather for me...

Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,953,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
A hard one.

San Jose seems a bit "continental" for my liking. I wouldn't be able to stand 14C highs in winter, followed by 27C highs in the summer, despite how mild they are. Sure, it's no Chicago or NYC, but the seasonal changes will still be miserable. Maybe it's because I'm used to my relatively year-round consistent climate, I don't know.

San Francisco, despite being cooler, is a at least more consistent and stable all year round. So I think, I'm gonna have to go with SF. San Jose would've won if its winter highs were around 17C-18C to the least.
Hahaha those are the changes Melbourne go through! I still want more!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Somebody forgot to tell SF that when I was there last September. 3-4 consecutive days around the 90F mark.
3-4 consecutive days of 90 + is extremely rare in SF; it's usually 1 or 2 days of heat before the marine layer and seabreeze comes screaming back. Last summer's warm epoch allowed it to stay warmer longer along with consistently above normal temperatures the entire summer.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:05 AM

278 posts, read 335,963 times
It's hard for most cities in the U.S. to beat San Jose's weather. Off the top of my head, I can only think of San Diego having nicer weather year round.

San Francisco's weather is not necessarily cold for the most part, but it's just wayyyyy too windy. San Jose > SF

Old 05-02-2016, 12:30 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Neither. Both are stupidly boring. How very predictable of you to pit two boring ass climates against each other.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
3-4 consecutive days of 90 + is extremely rare in SF; it's usually 1 or 2 days of heat before the marine layer and seabreeze comes screaming back. Last summer's warm epoch allowed it to stay warmer longer along with consistently above normal temperatures the entire summer.
I'm aware of that. Just sick of the stereotyping of SF. The eastern parts in particularly are very sunny, which is generally conveniently overlooked.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
It's hard for most cities in the U.S. to beat San Jose's weather. Off the top of my head, I can only think of San Diego having nicer weather year round.

San Francisco's weather is not necessarily cold for the most part, but it's just wayyyyy too windy. San Jose > SF
It can be cloudy in the summer in San Diego. The average high in Jan. in San Jose is 60 and 65 in San Diego. Very little difference in the winter time but more so in the summer.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
It can be cloudy in the summer in San Diego. The average high in Jan. in San Jose is 60 and 65 in San Diego. Very little difference in the winter time but more so in the summer.

I'll admit San Jose has better summer weather than San Diego in JUNE but from July through October, San Diego actually feels more "summerish" than San Jose due to much warmer overnight lows (San Jose has a hard time staying above 60F overnight while San Diego's nighttime lows average in the mid to upper 60s with multiple overnight lows above 70 most summers. We also have the chance to get some humidity with SST well into the 70s while Bay Area SST are always cold. San Jose gets more hot days than San Diego but come sundown, you need the hoodie. I'd rather enjoy a day in the upper 70s with a night in the low 70s and leave the jacket at home than deal with 85 during the day and 55 at night. That's too much temperature variation in one day and you have to remember to carry a jacket for any outdoor outing after dinner even if it's shorts and sandals during mid day. Here's the climate chart for San Diego last year. Look at those average overnight lows from July through October. When was the last time San Jose saw an overnight low of 70 paired with daytime highs in the 80s? Even under the San Diego marine layer in June or early July, it can be around 70ish. San Jose also never gets "warm overcast"- it has to be sunny to be warm and warm rain is totally impossible. Only time San Jose's summers would beat San Diego's summers is if we get another bad summer like 2010 and even then the inland climates of San Diego would still be warm during the day and warmer than San Jose at night (average low around 65 or so).

BTW- You could create a San Diego vs. San Jose climate battle thread on here (there's a cap of 2 climate polls per month per user and I want to save my second poll in May for a more interesting climate battle). Be warned- this is a forum full of weather geeks and many here will have an intense dislike for both climates for being "too boring" though.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 05-02-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 01:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
In the summertime, San Jose low is often in the 60's. It's very comfortable. In San Diego, the low is often in the low 70's, even with low overcast in July, very uncomfortable. The sun peeks through the clouds in the morning in SD and you sweat!
In 2006, the morning low in late July was 78 but the day was 112 in SJ! It was rare, though. In Jan, it often gets to the 70's and every few years, gets close to 80 or surpass it, especially in the outer areas like Saratoga and South San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather