Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Athens?
A 3 10.71%
B 9 32.14%
C 5 17.86%
D 4 14.29%
E 3 10.71%
F 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,231,935 times

Advertisements

I rate this climate as hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 01:58 PM

142 posts, read 141,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Warmest station I could find on the Hellenic Met site is Agrinion. I've been there. It's extremely stuffy. I specifically remember these biting flies just all over the place.

Actually from HNMS site it's Nea Filadelfeia in Athens and Pyrgela in Argos.In both areas the mean max of June,July and August is the highest in the country according to HNMS.Bear in mind that these are the old stats.The updated one's are much higher at least for Nea Filadelfeia which is an area I follow closely.

However the hottest of all like I said is Sparta.If your Greek is good check this out.It's a comparison between Sparta and Seville summer mean maxes.

Σπάρτη : H υπερδύναμη της καλοκαιρινής ζÎ*στης στην Ελλάδα

PS.The link in your post redirects to Elefsina which holds Greece's and indeed Europe's highest recorded temperature of 48C

Last edited by Mesogeiakos; 05-03-2016 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 03:28 PM

795 posts, read 733,931 times
Winters too warm and summers too warm and too dry. E.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,451,163 times
Quote:
Nowhere in the Med has summers nearly as hot as Phoenix where you live, unless you go into the Sahara Lol.
I plan on moving to LA eventually, I consider the LA Basin away from the water and San Gabriel Valley ideal here in the states

Old 05-03-2016, 05:56 PM

29,392 posts, read 19,480,032 times
^^

That's interesting. Within the next year or two, wife wants to buy property in Phoenix (near her parents). I'm more leaning towards Miami for a vacation home. However, I'm not planning on moving there permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesogeiakos View Post
Actually from HNMS site it's Nea Filadelfeia in Athens and Pyrgela in Argos.In both areas the mean max of June,July and August is the highest in the country according to HNMS
Yup you are correct. I didn't check those sites. They are a bit warmer in max temps than Agrinion

Quote:
.Bear in mind that these are the old stats.The updated one's are much higher at least for Nea Filadelfeia which is an area I follow closely.
I notice this. Does the Hellenic Met service have 1981-2010 data available?

Quote:
However the hottest of all like I said is Sparta.If your Greek is good check this out.It's a comparison between Sparta and Seville summer mean maxes.

Σπάρτη : H υπερδύναμη της καλοκαιρινής ζÎ*στης στην Ελλάδα

PS.The link in your post redirects to Elefsina which holds Greece's and indeed Europe's highest recorded temperature of 48C
I read most of it. Thanks for posting. However it gives Sparta's recent summer monthly highs, I didn't see it's 30 year averages, and I didn't see it on the Hellenic Met site either?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I read most of it. Thanks for posting. However it gives Sparta's recent summer monthly highs, I didn't see it's 30 year averages, and I didn't see it on the Hellenic Met site either?
It does mention them but for the older time series.During July for the period 1974-2004 the mean max in Sparta is 34.8C.With the more recent data it should be around 36C.You can purchase online these data (which are not available freely on the site) from HNMS for about 3 euros if you want to verify them independently.

Here is the relevant quote

Quote:
Σύμφωνα λοιπόν με τα στοιχεία της Ε.Μ.Υ για την περίοδο 1974-2004 η μέση μέγιστη θερμοκρασία Ιουνίου στη Σπάρτη είναι 32.2°C .Τον Ιούλιο αυτή διαμορφώνεται στους 34.8°C ενώ τον Αύγουστο στους 34.3°C

Old 05-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I notice this. Does the Hellenic Met service have 1981-2010 data available?
No you have to purchase the whole time series to find out the most recent means for most stations.Again you can do this online for a few euros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather