Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 12:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That would tend to give higher temperature readings though.

Not at the depth taken and the distance offshore. We are talking a few hundred feet or more offshore at a depth of like 7' down. Temps taken in shallow pools on the beach are a joke and shouldn't be counted at all. Just what do you consider accurate then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 PM

Name these so called more accurate other sources Joe. I'm curious being you never stepped foot in our waters here.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not at the depth taken and the distance offshore. We are talking a few hundred feet or more offshore at a depth of like 7' down. Temps taken in shallow pools on the beach are a joke and shouldn't be counted at all. Just what do you consider accurate then?
Yep, that sounds pretty accurate. If I'm posting "official" temperatures from here, I use the temperature from a local ocean research institute -they monitor temperatures for harvesting shellfish spat, so accuracy is critical. It's located 8km offshore at records temperatures at 1, 8 and 15 metres.

For the coldest 6-7 months of the year, it's data and Satellite data are closely matched, but for the warmer months they may as well be different locations.

Posted beach water temperatures aren't really a thing in NZ, but I like to record temperatures in the surf. Warmer temperatures than NOAA indicates, aren't really due to shallow rock pools imo, but from heating on a bigger scale - tidal estuaries of a few square miles, that discharge huge quantities of warmed water, or shallow ( under 10 metres) sandy beaches. These can sometimes see swimming temperatures 7-8C higher than satellite temperatures.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 PM

I'll just leave these here if you want an idea of what a south jersey beach is like in summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlVpG4fLDj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuInxZ-PGU

Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yep, that sounds pretty accurate. If I'm posting "official" temperatures from here, I use the temperature from a local ocean research institute -they monitor temperatures for harvesting shellfish spat, so accuracy is critical. It's located 8km offshore at records temperatures at 1, 8 and 15 metres.

For the coldest 6-7 months of the year, it's data and Satellite data are closely matched, but for the warmer months they may as well be different locations.

Posted beach water temperatures aren't really a thing in NZ, but I like to record temperatures in the surf. Warmer temperatures than NOAA indicates, aren't really due to shallow rock pools imo, but from heating on a bigger scale - tidal estuaries of a few square miles, that discharge huge quantities of warmed water, or shallow ( under 10 metres) sandy beaches. These can sometimes see swimming temperatures 7-8C higher than satellite temperatures.

Yes but those outlets aren't usually near where the piers are and on high tide the ocean water floods into the inlet having opposite impact. On the east coast the water coming out of inlets turns right due to rotation of earth and heads south down the coast. I have never noticed on beaches I swim on in NJ change temp due to tides. you have to go into the back bay itself to feel the warmer water there. I have never felt it with tide change, though I don't swim near inlets.

If anything I have found satellite imagery is warmer than NOAA buoys.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yes but those outlets aren't usually near where the piers are and on high tide the ocean water floods into the inlet having opposite impact. On the east coast the water coming out of inlets turns right due to rotation of earth and heads south down the coast. I have never noticed on beaches I swim on in NJ change temp due to tides. you have to go into the back bay itself to feel the warmer water there. I have never felt it with tide change, though I don't swim near inlets.

If anything I have found satellite imagery is warmer than NOAA buoys.
Probably quite different geography where you are, but here the inlets are almost entirely empty at low tide, so the (charmingly named) mudflats warm up the water as the tide comes in -the tide peaks at around 5.5 metres, so over a few square miles, that's a huge amount of warmed water.

I don't notice the change due to the tide either, but I do notice the temperature between beaches near large inlets, and those without -that's something that satellite data never makes picks up on.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Name these so called more accurate other sources Joe. I'm curious being you never stepped foot in our waters here.
I don't doubt what you're saying about water temperatures there, and I do think that satellite data would show differences in average sea temperature between locations. I just think that satellite data won't be much use when deciding to go to the beach.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I'll just leave these here if you want an idea of what a south jersey beach is like in summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlVpG4fLDj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuInxZ-PGU
Looks nice, but similar scenes are going to be found in most places with a nice beach, and swimmable temperatures -take away the high rises and condos, and even Invercargill will look much the same during the height of summer.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Looks nice, but similar scenes are going to be found in most places with a nice beach, and swimmable temperatures -take away the high rises and condos, and even Invercargill will look much the same during the height of summer.
Beaching in Invercargill? I'm skeptical.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Beaching in Invercargill? I'm skeptical.
I stand corrected. They even have a surf life saving club there!

https://www.surflifesaving.org.nz/or...nz/oreti-slsc/

Those are some brave (or foolhardy) swimmers: look at these water temperatures.

Source: Oreti Beach Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (Southland, New Zealand)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather