Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 12:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times

Advertisements

I see no need to defend or "set straight" the perceived ideas about Canadian weather.

Most of Canada has great weather (except the west coast of BC), and I've met my fair share of people who believe the same (mostly while out in the snowy wilderness in subfreezing temps, hiking or snowshoeing or skiing). If I can't find a job in Minnesota or nearby, I'll try to move to Quebec or Alberta myself once I finish up what I'm doing here.

For those who want year round 70F temps and snowless winters, good for them, they can move to some crowded/overrated/polluted "paradise" () like SoCal or whatever and pay property taxes through the roof. None of my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
September is more of a summer month than June in the west temperature wise.
It is. These "neat consistent packages" of months per season don't work universally. Summer may be June/July/August in the Midwest and East Coast, but it's July/August/September in much of the West.

Getting off topic, but this is the reason why, as a parent, it irks me that schools on the West Coast have caved to the pressure and started ending in mid-May and starting again in mid-August. This "summer vacation" doesn't jive with our weather. May is a cool, cloudy month; August and the first half of September are full summer.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
June is still part of the three warmest months in the vast majority of places in the northern hemisphere. In the terms of global climate studies, we need objective seasons. And you aren't helping your argument that June is spring if you say that many blooms are gone in May, because by that logic then June is even more summery for you.

Defining the seasons into neat consistent packages of entire months is just way better for discussing climate. Late May is more summer than spring, anyway, so by the time June 1st comes, we're already in summer for sure. Early summer, but summer.
Patterns of course change but usually here in Vancouver the following happens.

Buds and blossoms start to appear in late February, if not, definitely by March.

Aprils gets the classic April showers, but daffodils and tulips are abundant.

May gets the first really warm days, but it's spotty. One day can be 25C, the next 19C. It's really the first month that most people end up doing summer like things, but no one considers it summer yet.

June. Early June we switch back to cooler weather, some rain...or lots..depends. Juneary is a phrase used. By middle or late June it's back to warmer days. In other words, blossoms or not, early June does feel more like spring.

July to August are the warmest months overall. By the 3rd week of August, we usually get a few days of rain.

September is still beach weather, but by late September the nights are cooler and you can smell autumn arriving.

On thing Vancouver, and other northerly places, has over Southern California, is the length of a summer's day.

So IMO defining seasons is going to be different depending on where you live.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-02-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
June is still part of the three warmest months in the vast majority of places in the northern hemisphere. In the terms of global climate studies, we need objective seasons. And you aren't helping your argument that June is spring if you say that many blooms are gone in May, because by that logic then June is even more summery for you.

Defining the seasons into neat consistent packages of entire months is just way better for discussing climate. Late May is more summer than spring, anyway, so by the time June 1st comes, we're already in summer for sure.
I used June 6 to September 6 to demarcate summer. The hottest 91 days of the year.
Quote:
Early summer, but summer.
Not necessarily. 1967, 1969, 1971, 1976, 1979, 1984, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2000, and 2008 are notable among summers that had their biggest heat by or before mid-June. In 1984 and 2008 summer really was over by around June 12. In 1976, 1979, 1996 and 2000 the only "official" heat waves were in April or early May (not sure about 1979). 1969 and 1992 eked out four-day heat waves in July but their most notable heat was in May.

Only 1973, 1991, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2010 managed to spread heat at times throughout the summer. And 2007's was more in late August to mid-October. So, at least in New York early heat in not usually a good sign.

Last edited by jbgusa; 06-02-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 08:37 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Averages, smavegres. I go to to Spokane nearly every summer. Actually north of it a bit. It's usually 90F in July.

By the way, it's a very nice part of Washington State.
It's obviously not usually 90°F in July if the average is 83°F.

Honestly, if you're just going to go around believing whatever you choose to regardless of what objective data actually show then there's not much point in having a conservation. Not only that, but endless parochial and misguided statements do nothing but increase misconceptions rather than reduce them.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:55 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post

Honestly, if you're just going to go around believing whatever you choose to regardless of what objective data actually show then there's not much point in having a conservation. Not only that, but endless parochial and misguided statements do nothing but increase misconceptions rather than reduce them.
Agree about Spokane, not sure why it was mentioned as there are a number or hotter
summer places in Washington State...

Yakima ....july average high 88F

Omak.....july average high 89F

Kennewick...july average high 89F

There are actually quite a few places in southern BC interior with higher average july highs
than Spokane....including Osoyoos...Oliver....Keremeos....Spences Bridge...Kamloops...

Farther south doesn’t always mean warmer

Old 06-02-2018, 10:16 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I see no need to defend or "set straight" the perceived ideas about Canadian weather.

Most of Canada has great weather (except the west coast of BC), and I've met my fair share of people who believe the same (mostly while out in the snowy wilderness in subfreezing temps, hiking or snowshoeing or skiing). If I can't find a job in Minnesota or nearby, I'll try to move to Quebec or Alberta myself once I finish up what I'm doing here.

For those who want year round 70F temps and snowless winters, good for them, they can move to some crowded/overrated/polluted "paradise" () like SoCal or whatever and pay property taxes through the roof. None of my concern.

Shouldn't be a problem. Places here hire left and right!

Old 06-02-2018, 10:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Patterns of course change but usually here in Vancouver the following happens.

Buds and blossoms start to appear in late February, if not, definitely by March.

Aprils gets the classic April showers, but daffodils and tulips are abundant.

May gets the first really warm days, but it's spotty. One day can be 25C, the next 19C. It's really the first month that most people end up doing summer like things, but no one considers it summer yet.

June. Early June we switch back to cooler weather, some rain...or lots..depends. Juneary is a phrase used. By middle or late June it's back to warmer days. In other words, blossoms or not, early June does feel more like spring.

July to August are the warmest months overall. By the 3rd week of August, we usually get a few days of rain.

September is still beach weather, but by late September the nights are cooler and you can smell autumn arriving.

On thing Vancouver, and other northerly places, has over Southern California, is the length of a summer's day.

So IMO defining seasons is going to be different depending on where you live.

Doesn't matter. Seasons are defined by time more than anything, weather is just a byproduct. When scientists study how hot a summer is for a certain year, the best way to define that summer is by strictly going by three entire months (Jun, Jul, Aug for northern hemisphere) and when we talk about time, it goes like that too. "It happened in the summer of 1954" basically means "It happened between June and August of that year." Weather patterns may vary in places, but time is constant. It just so happens that the west has a cooler early summer and a warmer early fall than most places east.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:03 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:

Also, Vancouver's average high in May is 17c, so not sometimes 25c and other times 19c as Natnasci said.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:

When I go to Spokane in the 3rd week of July it is. Averages are just that , averages.

This chart states that the average temperature starting on July 21st to July 31st is 87F to 88F. Again, that's an average. The chart also shows that the temperature can easily be in the 90's.

https://weatherspark.com/m/2022/7/Av...-United-States

I've been going almost every summer since the mid 1990's. I KNOW what I'm talking about, and I'm sure anyone here who lives or knows Spokane will agree, that temps in the 90's is not unusual in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather