Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country has a better range of climates in your opinion?
Canada 25 44.64%
Brazil 31 55.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I most certainly do not.

I've always said that four season climates are much better for people who want warm/hot weather than the opposite. At least in a climate like Minneapolis, if you like warm/hot weather you get it for 3-4 months out of the year. If you like cold weather in Miami.....well you're **** out of luck.
Yep. Some people look at me like I have 3 heads when I said I wanted to move to Minnesota from Miami. (One day I will live there, but I ended up in Texas instead, go figure!) But the weather in MN is far more appealing, and that's just the weather lol the quality of life is superior in many ways.

My cousin married a Minnesotan. She actually goes back home a lot from fall to spring because she misses the seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What would you consider hot? 25+? 22+?
What do you consider cold? 6 °C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Miami has recorded a record low of 27 F and snow flurries as recent as 2010. It doesn't mean anything lol that's a fluke. Maybe like very remote parts of Brazil get snow but in a country as large as Brazil, that means its largely inaccessible. It's not like Southern California where snow is a few hours away in the mountains.

I get that you like warm weather year round, so it makes sense you prefer Brazil. Can't dispute that. But I'm saying Canada is better in regard that, for where most Canadians live, the climate is continental with a wide range to please everyone. For as cold as winter can get, summer can get really hot. 3 months of heat is a long time.

Take this example: Jimmy loves the cold, hates the heat. Alex loves the heat, hates the cold. In Ottawa, Jimmy is happiest from November until March. Alex is happiest from May to September. In Brazil, Jimmy is unhappy (with the weather) year round, Alex is happy (with the weather) year round. Canada does a better job at pleasing the general population.

There's a lot of people who prefer 4 seasons to always hot. One of the biggest reasons Floridians move to the north or upper southern states like NC or TN, is because they want more than just hot weather. It gets tiring to most people, more than cold.
Aww, everything you wrote is the voice of the truth!
Although I prefer what most people call "gloomy oceanic climates". Prince Rupert, BC would be great!
But it's true! Take Medicine Hat as an example, it gets a good number of -20 °C lows every winter (cold weather lovers get happy), and +30 °C highs every summer (hot weather lovers get happy, even if I know some of them love heat + humidity, but luckily, there's Windsor). It gets a wide range of weather conditions and temperatures. Brazil can't please even mildly cool weather lovers (0/5 °C highs, the ones I like), let alone cold weather lovers. If you prefer Brazil, it's okay, you like heat and dislike the cold, but Canada still gets a greater range

Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Yep. Some people look at me like I have 3 heads when I said I wanted to move to Minnesota from Miami. (One day I will live there, but I ended up in Texas instead, go figure!) But the weather in MN is far more appealing, and that's just the weather lol the quality of life is superior in many ways.

My cousin married a Minnesotan. She actually goes back home a lot from fall to spring because she misses the seasons.
I'm actually moving to Minneapolis myself later on this year, and I get the same looks some people don't even know where it is and when I tell them, they think there's still cold and snow in July....lol. A lot of people down here in Miami don't know of anything outside their little bubble.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Well I applaud you lol I hated living in Miami for many reasons, mostly weather and the rudeness of people. It's a sauna there. But living there all your life though, is different from visiting for a week or even only living there for a few years. When all you know is hot, you learn to hate it or put up with it.

My mom (in Miami) was jealous when I told her it was 57 degrees here on November 1st. She gets cold easily herself, but even she was like "I want a break from this heat!"
The problem with most continental climates in Canada is that winter is way too long. Most years in Southern Ontario, winter can last into April and in the north into May. I went to college in Ottawa and lived there for about 7 years. By the last few years I was there, by February or March I was so depressed and bordering on suicidal because all I saw was cold, snow and death and I never wanted to leave inside. I can tolerate snow and cold for short periods but when it goes on and on for months, it just saps the energy out of me. I live in Vancouver now and while it is by no means perfect, at least I have energy to go outside and do things in the winter even if it's overcast and raining.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I'm actually moving to Minneapolis myself later on this year, and I get the same looks some people don't even know where it is and when I tell them, they think there's still cold and snow in July....lol. A lot of people down here in Miami don't know of anything outside their little bubble.
I'm jealous! I'm visiting for the first time this summer. Hopefully my SO can be sold on the city! I hope to move after done with school and all. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love the city. I didn't expect to like Texas as much as I do, so imagine a state the pretty much is known for things I like (lakes, trees, nature, an educated populace)

It is true a lot of Miamians are very insular. The city has a reputation of being "international" but a lot of its residents do live in a bubble. IDK if its a result of being so isolated at the tip of a peninsula lol but oh well. Some people think the rest of the country is nothing but cows and corn. They don't know that there's thriving cities away from the east and west coasts. Miamians in general are not cold hardy, I'm the exception. I remember when my mom would rent out what was her bedroom to make extra cash. The tenant moved to Alabama in November and came back cuz "it was too cold." Good lord!

Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The problem with most continental climates in Canada is that winter is way too long. Most years in Southern Ontario, winter can last into April and in the north into May. I went to college in Ottawa and lived there for about 7 years. By the last few years I was there, by February or March I was so depressed and bordering on suicidal because all I saw was cold, snow and death and I never wanted to leave inside. I can tolerate snow and cold for short periods but when it goes on and on for months, it just saps the energy out of me. I live in Vancouver now and while it is by no means perfect, at least I have energy to go outside and do things in the winter even if it's overcast and raining.
Pretty sure in a given year, the last of snow is gone in early April. That really isn't that bad. Consider the reverse, here in Texas we get hot weather, 80 plus, as early as April and as late as October. Though it really isn't that bad to me until August. I put up with the heat with a smile in July because its a good month for me. It's my birth month, a good time to enjoy the pool etc. I hate the heat by August and September and count down the days until we see the 50s for the first time again.

Even if the snow cover lasts for a long time, take advantage of it. Pond hockey, skating, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, making a snowman, snowball fights, these are all things available, young and old. The same way I make the best of a brutal southern summer by going swimming, people can make the best of a winter.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
The thing that "winter" lasts into April is true! Getting morning below -5 °C and snow is common in April in continental climates. But you can also get 20 °C, so it's not always cold in the spring. I know how it felt to you, you'd want summer to get as quickly as possible. After those winters (-15 °C/5 °F in the morning is very cold, even if it might seem "mild" on paper, just because it's common, I get a headache after 10/20 minutes outside in that temperature) you want to feel hot, but, honestly (at least this is what happens to me), when it's actually 30 °C outside, I want to feel cold. It's normal, this is why I like Vancouver and Prince Rupert, so I'd rarely complain.

Quote:
Pretty sure in a given year, the last of snow is gone in early April. That really isn't that bad. Consider the reverse, here in Texas we get hot weather, 80 plus, as early as April and as late as October. Though it really isn't that bad to me until August. I put up with the heat with a smile in July because its a good month for me. It's my birth month, a good time to enjoy the pool etc. I hate the heat by August and September and count down the days until we see the 50s for the first time again.

Even if the snow cover lasts for a long time, take advantage of it. Pond hockey, skating, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, making a snowman, snowball fights, these are all things available, young and old. The same way I make the best of a brutal southern summer by going swimming, people can make the best of a winter.
I don't know if you've ever lived in a continental climate, but March and April can be a bit moody some days, it does get a bit depressing when it snows and gets below freezing in April, especially after some warm (>15 °C) and sunny afternoons. It doesn't affect me that much because I like gloomy weather, but many people feel disappointed. My happiest time is 10 °C and rainy afternoon in October I also like 15 °C and sunny afternoons in April and October. I don't like cold (<-5 °C) or hot (>26 °C) weather.

Last edited by EverBlack; 05-12-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:

It has snowed in Ottawa in May most definitely and even if there is no snow on the ground, the vegetation looks dead from November to May and that depresses me. I want to see green all year round. Not sickly deciduous trees that are bare for half the year with yellow grass... no thanks

I don't like winter sports at all because I don't like feeling cold and I feel cold even if I'm wearing like 3 down jackets and snowpants at 25F. I'm very cold sensitive.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It has snowed in Ottawa in May most definitely and even if there is no snow on the ground, the vegetation looks dead from November to May and that depresses me. I want to see green all year round. Not sickly deciduous trees that are bare for half the year with yellow grass... no thanks

I don't like winter sports at all because I don't like feeling cold and I feel cold even if I'm wearing like 3 down jackets and snowpants at 25F. I'm very cold sensitive.
"the vegetation looks dead from November to May". You are right!
"I want to see green all year round." Me too!
"I don't like winter sports at all because I don't like feeling cold". Me too!
"I feel cold even if I'm wearing like 3 down jackets and snowpants at 25F." I'm fine with a jacket and gloves at 25 °F and I don't find that very cold (cold, yes, but not very). Below 15 °F I feel too cold and I don't want to do anything outside for more than 30 minutes, below 5 °F is awful, and I definitely don't go outside for a walk. Some people from warmer place underestimate the cold and the lenght of the winter. I don't like hot weather, either. Vancouver's a great climate!

Our weather preferences might be different, but we agree on many things

Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
What do you consider cold? 6 °C?
15c. I don't mind an occasional 6c day every once in a blue moon (we had a 6c day this past December that I thought was pleasant because it was in the middle of a warm week), but I don't want to live in a place where 6c is like an everyday thing. Look at it this way, I don't mind a 38c day if it happens once or maybe twice a year, just because it's unusual and it's like a novelty, but it doesn't mean I want to live in a place with an average 38c high in the summer Does that sorta make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather