Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 11:22 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Can you recommend broadleaf evergreens for me in zone 7a? You know a lot about plants.
I know some broadleaf evergreens that can tolerate even 6a Zones,they are native from Southern South America,but i dont know if you can grow them since your summer are too warm,and they native region have cool summers.

Nothofagus betuloides
Nothofagus dombeyi
Nothofagus nitida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Houma Louisiana avg Jan temps 63/43F. Does it look like those averages in winter?

From Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetri...th/8259230161/

Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
The deep south US has the truest subtropical climate in the world because it experiences tropical weather for an entire season. Gardening is a deterrent but it doesn't change that fact. If a person from Singapore stepped off a plane in Orlando or New Orleans in July, they would not be able to notice a difference. Other subtropical places like Sydney and Rome can grow more, but they don't actually resemble a tropical climate at all.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:41 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,023,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
The deep south US has the truest subtropical climate in the world because it experiences tropical weather for an entire season. Gardening is a deterrent but it doesn't change that fact. If a person from Singapore stepped off a plane in Orlando or New Orleans in July, they would not be able to notice a difference. Other subtropical places like Sydney and Rome can grow more, but they don't actually resemble a tropical climate at all.
But they could get a very big shock if they stepped off the plane in January...

Why is summer so important for being a "true" subtropical climate? To me the winter is far more important as that is ultimately what will limit what can or cannot be grown year round, plenty of places can have hot summers, but if the winters can get cold then it isn't a "true" subtropical climate at all, in fact why not call them subtemperate for the cool temperatures in winter?

And Sydney resembles a tropical climate looks wise more than most of the US south, with the exception of southern Florida...

Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
In colder winters it dies back I'm sure. It is can't take less than 32F. It comes back from the roots though most likely. I'm sure in some of the late 70's and 80's winters it died back to the ground.
Bougainvillea is a bit tougher than that. At our old place there was one, and it never died back even though temperatures would get down to -4/-5C at times.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,644 times
Quote:
You will get to experience it again some day. A climate doesn't change it stripes that quickly lol. It will be back as soon as we get the cold AMO back. Count on it.
I doubt it.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Bougainvillea is a bit tougher than that. At our old place there was one, and it never died back even though temperatures would get down to -4/-5C at times.

Well it dies back in the South based on what I've read on forums. You don't get cold ice days, the South does, even places very far South on the coast even.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Well it dies back in the South based on what I've read on forums. You don't get cold ice days, the South does, even places very far South on the coast even.
No ice days, although there was a 4C day in 1975.

They lose their leaves quite early here and aren't aren't actively growing during the coldest weather, which is probably why they survive winter well.

Not a common plant here though -people seem to think they're too prickly.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
You will get to experience it again some day. A climate doesn't change it stripes that quickly lol. It will be back as soon as we get the cold AMO back. Count on it.
Is that you Chicken Little?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
But they could get a very big shock if they stepped off the plane in January...

Why is summer so important for being a "true" subtropical climate? To me the winter is far more important as that is ultimately what will limit what can or cannot be grown year round, plenty of places can have hot summers, but if the winters can get cold then it isn't a "true" subtropical climate at all, in fact why not call them subtemperate for the cool temperatures in winter?

And Sydney resembles a tropical climate looks wise more than most of the US south, with the exception of southern Florida...
That's from a botanical perspective, not a climatic one. Should a climate that never gets hot automatically be called subarctic, even if it has mild oceanic winters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather