Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Hermosillo=Bxa / Subtropical Desert Very Hot Summer
Guaymas=Axa / Tropical Desert Very Hot Summer
Nogales=Btb / Subtropical Semi Arid Hot Summer
Juarez=Bxb / Subtropical Desert Hot Summer
Durango=Btc / Mild Semi Arid
Torreon=Bxb / Subtropical Desert Hot Summer
Saltillo=Bxc / Mild Desert
Culiacan=Ata / Tropical Semi Arid Very Hot Summer
Mazatlan=Aqa / Tropical Sub Humid Very Hot Summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Okay, how about if a location comes out Warm Oceanic Warm Summer, but low temp in warmest month is 64 or higher, they move up to Humid Subtropical Hot Summer? So that would make Sao Paolo and Sydney Bhb then, what do you think?

Although, Motueka with my previous change is Bod compared to Boc for Sydney, so they do have different summers
I disregard this change, I am keeping Sydney and Sao Paolo as Boc

Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
I disregard this change, I am keeping Sydney and Sao Paolo as Boc
That puts them in the same group as Nelson, which is much colder. Sao Paulo has a record of 1.5C, while Nelson gets around 40 freezing nights a year. Sao Paulo's winter maximum is warmer than Nelson's summer maximum. Rainfall pattern is completely different.

Nelson and Motueka are in different groups but are very much the same climate, with no difference between them at all -they're even in sight of each other.

Any attempt at classification, should start with the basics - air circulation and geography. Temperate thresholds should be used as a general guide.

Your system is just a complicated way of making climates that are completely different in character, appear the same.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That puts them in the same group as Nelson, which is much colder. Sao Paulo has a record of 1.5C, while Nelson gets around 40 freezing nights a year. Sao Paulo's winter maximum is warmer than Nelson's summer maximum. Rainfall pattern is completely different.

Nelson and Motueka are in different groups but are very much the same climate, with no difference between them at all -they're even in sight of each other.

Any attempt at classification, should start with the basics - air circulation and geography. Temperate thresholds should be used as a general guide.

Your system is just a complicated way of making climates that are completely different in character, appear the same.
I happen to disagree, the beauty of living in USA. I think they are more similar than they are different.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I happen to disagree, the beauty of living in USA. I think they are more similar than they are different.

Maybe you should do a poll, and see if anyone thinks that a climate that averages 7.9C/17.5C over the year is the same as a climate that averages 15.5C/24.9C

You could also do a poll to see if two climates within sight of each other and average 7.5C/17.5C compared to 6.5C/18.6C, are different.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should do a poll, and see if anyone thinks that a climate that averages 7.9C/17.5C over the year is the same as a climate that averages 15.5C/24.9C

You could also do a poll to see if two climates within sight of each other and average 7.5C/17.5C compared to 6.5C/18.6C, are different.
This sounds like a strawman, where you happen to think that everyone will agree with you and disagree with me, I'd rather not

And with Nelson and Motueka, you have to draw a line somewhere, otherwise the whole world is one climate

Old 06-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
This sounds like a strawman, where you happen to think that everyone will agree with you and disagree with me, I'd rather not
I think this would be a good test for your system -see how robust and consistent it is.

Seriously though. Do you really think I live in a different climate to Nelson,?... and that Nelson is like Sao Paulo?

Old 06-03-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I think this would be a good test for your system -see how robust and consistent it is.

Seriously though. Do you really think I live in a different climate to Nelson,?... and that Nelson is like Sao Paulo?
You are focusing too much on their differences than what they have in common.

Things Nelson and Sao Paolo share:

Both avoid temperate or continental cold
Both avoid tropical heat
Both are humid in terms of rainfall to evap
Both overall are more on the subtropical than temperate or continental spectrum, minus the heat

Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:

And with Nelson and Motueka, you have to draw a line somewhere, otherwise the whole world is one climate
Garbage! -if a climate isn't different, don't say it is.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Garbage! -if a climate isn't different, don't say it is.
A climate with a summer mean below 64 is different to one with a summer mean above it, just look at the San Francisco Bay area where means range from 60-61 on the Pacific Coast in August&September to over 75 in far inland burbs like Manteca&Tracy, and most people living in the Bay Area agree that their are 3 different climates and all within short driving distance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather