Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yes, but as said above, England does have warm winters for its latitude.
That it does. London has the same winter temps as Virginia, it's insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
That it does. London has the same winter temps as Virginia, it's insane
London has warmer winters than parts of NC. That just means NC is cold for the latitude.

I think the UK summers are warmer than any other oceanic climates above 50N. London and Portsmouth are the warmest cities above 50N, by annual mean temp.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I would not say UK's summers are warm for the latitude, many continental climates are warmer in summer, basically most of Siberia has a 19c average in the warmest month, and these places are located at more northern locations. Same goes for Canada.... Or maybe you could say that Siberian and Canadian climates are warm for the latitude whereas the UK is normal.

UK's winters are warm for the latitude though, and that is definitely an oceanic influence. To me this is the most prevalent of both, by far.
This doesn't involve continental climates, but is a comparison between UK and NZ.

My climate has cooler summers than somewhere like Portsmouth, but has warmer sea temperatures than Portsmouth. Invercargill has cooler summers than Edinburgh, but has warmer sea temperatures than Edinburgh. That happens because the UK has more continental influence in summer.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This doesn't involve continental climates, but is a comparison between UK and NZ.

My climate has cooler summers than somewhere like Portsmouth, but has warmer sea temperatures than Portsmouth. Invercargill has cooler summers than Edinburgh, but has warmer sea temperatures than Edinburgh. That happens because the UK has more continental influence in summer.
Your sea temps are much warmer in the winter, but in summer they are the same, or even slightly warmer in Portsmouth compared to the area I checked (Inner Cut)?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, but that is strange that Invercargill has cooler summers than Edinburgh. In general the same latitudes in the southern hemisphere have cooler temperatures than in the northern hemisphere, but that is mostly because the landmass is much bigger in the northern hemisphere, so I guess the UK is more influenced by the eurasian landmass in the end, but that's really stretching it.

Also, the gulf stream.

The UK has warm summers for the latitude compared to NZ and other places in the southern hemisphere at the same latitude like Ushuaia, but otherwise, no.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, but that is strange that Invercargill has cooler summers than Edinburgh. In general the same latitudes in the southern hemisphere have cooler temperatures than in the northern hemisphere, but that is mostly because the landmass is much bigger in the northern hemisphere, so I guess the UK is more influenced by the eurasian landmass in the end, but that's really stretching it.

Also, the gulf stream.
Invercargill has warmer sea temperatures than Edinburgh. My climate has warmer sea temperatures than Portsmouth.

The gulf stream doesn't make those places warmer, the continental heatwaves makes them warmer.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Your sea temps are much warmer in the winter, but in summer they are the same, or even slightly warmer in Portsmouth compared to the area I checked (Inner Cut)?
Motueka and Nelson have warmer summer sea temperatures than Portsmouth by 2.5C.

Inner Cut is just using satellite imagery of open water sites, and is just quoting averages. Current open water temperature is about 1.4C warner(15.6C) than the figure in their site.

Inner cut is actually quite a bit warmer, as it is a sheltered site like Portsmouth.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-25-2016 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 04:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Invercargill has warmer sea temperatures than Edinburgh. My climate has warmer sea temperatures than Portsmouth.

The gulf stream doesn't make those places warmer, the continental heatwaves makes them warmer.
continental heatwaves in Edinburgh ?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
continental heatwaves in Edinburgh ?
Well, continental influence then - how else do you explain the warmer temperatures in Edinburgh?

Last edited by Joe90; 05-25-2016 at 04:51 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Motueka and Nelson have warmer summer sea temperatures than Portsmouth by 2.5C.
Using seatemperature.org website for the warmest months in Motueka & Portsmouth it gives the following:

M: Jan 17.4C Feb 18.4C Mar 17.8C

P: Jul 15.3C Aug 16.8C Sep 17.3C

Mind you those averages for Portsmouth don't seem that accurate as the Solent gets up to around 18C/19C & in warmer summers can be 20C/21C...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather