Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 12:53 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

A warm rainy day today (at least for winter's standards). High temp was 19C here, though 21C on the coast. The east coast low from Queensland arrived in southern NSW, bringing the warm most air with it. In general, our east coast lows come from the south Pacific, and they barely make temps reach 16C in the day.

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-untitled.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:12 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
What do you think? it's snowing hard in the Andes?

Los Puquios, Puente del Inca (2700m):

Also it snowed at lower elevations. Uspallata (2000m):

Manzano Histórico (1800m):

Potrerillos (1500m):

All credits to foro.gustfront.com.ar - Página principal

Nice! Reminds me of the Rockies in the U.S how there is civilization at those elevations. In the Northeast US its hard to find above 3000' (984m). Thanks for putting the city and elevation with the photos. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Also i Have found one Photo of this Snowstorm in Mendonza Mountains:

foro.gustfront.com.ar - Página principal

Nice! Can we trust this foro.gustfront site? I mean these guys aren't posting old pictures or faking them, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Jet Stream Position during the Coming Cold Shot of next week,interesting position,with the High draining Cold Air From Antartic and then Patagonia,also the Projected Temps shows Freezing so close to the Tropic Line:

See how it doesnt matter the Continent,the Hemisphere,the Coldest Air always will be directioned to East Coast!
At first glance I saw the "H" and thought wow what a ridge, heat wave! Then I remembered which thread I was in. LOL.

Yeah, East Coast Colds, wonder if the rotation of Earth has something to do with that and the general flow of air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
A warm rainy day today (at least for winter's standards). High temp was 19C here, though 21C on the coast. The east coast low from Queensland arrived in southern NSW, bringing the warm most air with it. In general, our east coast lows come from the south Pacific, and they barely make temps reach 16C in the day.
Nice OBS post, and map! So much better to see your weather posts instead of bumping those rate climate threads!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice! Can we trust this foro.gustfront site? I mean these guys aren't posting old pictures or faking them, right?
Absolutely! It's an Argentinian weather forum and I've been there for more than six years. Among weather lovers and aficionados it also involves professionals and students of meteorology, and we try to keep it as informative and reliable as possible.

On topic, Río Gallegos hit -9.0ºC this morning.
Lowest year to date among the stations of the official network is still -12.1ºC in Paso de Indios.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,304,279 times
Coolangatta has gotten just over 350mm in the past 1.5 days. This is ridiculous but good for droughts if the rains reach central QLD.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 AM

765 posts, read 574,213 times
Rainfall since 9am as at 0308 AEST

Old 06-04-2016, 11:23 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Wow no subfreezing highs to be found ANYWHERE on that map in winter. Australia the lucky country

Old 06-04-2016, 01:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Am I reading that right that one time in July you had an inch thick of ice?? 1"? I was thinking you would have that every July continuous. 1 inch is not a lot at all..
Frosty days here don't often get maximums below 10C , so melting/refreezing is the typical scenario.

An inch would be the typical maximum thickness most years. Most years will see 3-4 days of continuous ice, The year in question (2001?) was thick enough to walk out a few feet, but I wasn't game enough to walk all the way across.

There are ponds and small dams in inland areas of this region that get enough ice for a short skating season (1-2 months), and up in the hills there are numerous small lakes that freeze for 4-6 months.

Quote:
Here's a friend of mine drilling to get ready for ice fishing. Latitude 41.7N. This is 1 hour north of me. 24 inches of ice.
Cool, will have to watch the vid somewhere else. Ice fishing would be something to try.

I worked on a ski area where the local dive club would do an annual ice dive in a lake that was at about 1700 metres. Can't remember the thickness, but it was very thick -over a metre. One year an avalanche came down to the lake and fractured the ice partially along the line of the diving holes that had been drilled. Over the next few days more slides weighted the ice until the fracture line completely sheared, tipping the weighted ice. The fractured section was probably about 20 acres and it's highest part was probably 40ft in the air. The exposed water underneath had refrozen creating a vast ice cave -extremely cool.

Meanwhile.... another frosty morning here. Going to be another stunning day, with a high of 15C forecast.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:22 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
The Last ETA run are showing an very Cold scenary to Central Argentina in the Morning of 10/06,look that -11C,it would be incridible if happens this early in June!

Old 06-04-2016, 01:44 PM

one of Most Famous Climate site here in Brazil(Climaterra) posted an small text about the next week Cold,I edited some Parts to yours guys read better:

"In this intense cold period we could have cold record-breaking for June or even record lows in Santa Catarina are projected,expected minimum temperatures are between -8 / -11 ° C at the top of the mountain(1800m is the Highest), between -4 / -8 ° C for most cities and in the warmest cities between -2/3 ° C.

Regarding snow models today indicate high chance from 10 to 12 June,when it get closer will be better to define the area and intensity if keep this trend."

Bruno Fernandes Maon / Meteorologist.

Also the European showing anomalies of -15/-20C in his last Run:

Last edited by ghost-likin; 06-04-2016 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 02:11 PM

I Have found more Beauty Photos of the Snowstorm in Uspallata in Western Argentina:

http://foro.gustfront.com.ar/viewtop...4749&start=190
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather