Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

Right now 7.1ºC in Iguazú at midday, yeah, near the famous tropical waterfalls.
Iguazu falls has a Subtropical Climate,the record low there are -4.2C,I remember they reached -1C during July 2013 cold wave and 0C during this 2016 early June cold wave,I think to myself,when temperature reach freezing close to the Falls,the difference of temperature between water and the air cause something like rain effect or fog..

Also,this morning was very cold on Southern Brazil,a lot of cities had very low highs,the hills around Urupema(1700m) registered high of 0.9C/-5.3C,average of -2.6C,can we consider it as an ice day? also there formed frost through the region:

Credits: Brasil Abaixo de Zero - Índice

Coldests Temperatures:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Iguazu falls has a Subtropical Climate,the record low there are -4.2C,I remember they reached -1C during July 2013 cold wave and 0C during this 2016 early June cold wave,I think to myself,when temperature reach freezing close to the Falls,the difference of temperature between water and the air cause something like rain effect or fog..

Also,this morning was very cold on Southern Brazil,a lot of cities had very low highs,the hills around Urupema(1700m) registered high of 0.9C/-5.3C,average of -2.6C,can we consider it as an ice day? also there formed frost through the region:

Credits: Brasil Abaixo de Zero - Índice

Coldests Temperatures:
Fog like that happens just about every morning by bodies of water in winter.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 AM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
Quote:
In other news, yesterday was the coldest day of the year so far here: 1.9ºC/10ºC. I did a walk when it was 6ºC outside. It fell cold but the air is so refreshing in days like these. I love that.
Yeah, this winter is being much better than the past two. The only downside is that it's being more "stable" in terms of temps, which means we're not having great departures (both negative and positive, in this latter case happily). That is, we are below average, but the lowest high so far hasn't dipped below 10 C (50 F).

BTW, your high/low for yesterday is from La Plata of BA?

For BA, the National Weather Service reports 1.5°C/10.9°C.

Quote:
Right now 7.1ºC in Iguazú at midday, yeah, near the famous tropical waterfalls.
They may get at least one sub-10 high, while we're getting none.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 PM

795 posts, read 738,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Why don't you just go up the mountain to get your snow fix then? That's what people here in Vancouver do in winter when they want snow. You can be up in the snow in less than an hour from downtown here if you want
Everyone keeps telling me this...

Is it illegal to want to have snow in my backyard?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
Everyone keeps telling me this...

Is it illegal to want to have snow in my backyard?
Why don't you move up to the mountains then or at higher elevation where there are more chances to get snow?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Why don't you move up to the mountains then or at higher elevation where there are more chances to get snow?
A friend did there here -bought a block of land and built a place at nearly 1100 metres. I can sometimes see the glass reflecting from here.

I saw him in town this week -only 8 days with snow on the ground so far this winter. Can have 50+ days in a cold winter.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Finally some sun for Valpo! Reached 17c today

Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Yep, according to Koppen is subtropical. But im not a koppen guy, i prefer to take more general parameters like Trewartha or Holridge do and take into account the landscape factor also. So, IMO Iguazú is more in the verge btw tropical/subtropical. Come on, a place with coatíes, monkeys, tucans and rainforests full of lianas will always look more tropical than subtropical to me

Actually the impressive thing about Iguazú was the max. It finally recorded 10ºC today, wich isn't far away from the record there, wich is 8ºC.

Last edited by marlaver; 07-18-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yep, according to Koppen is subtropical. But im not a koppen guy, i prefer to take more general parameters like Trewartha or Holridge do and take into account the landscape also. So, IMO Iguazú is more in the verge btw tropical/subtropical. Come on, a place with coatíes, monkeys, tucans and rainforests full of lianas will always look more tropical than subtropical to me

Actually the impressive thing about Iguazú was the max. It finally recorded 10ºC today, wich isn't far away from the record there, wich is 8ºC.
I dont think a place that can be below freezing are Tropical,the Vegetation there are clearly subtropical,whos said tou you that Subtropical vegetation need to be an Temperature forest? Iguazu are on the warmest side of Subtropical climate imo,because this and the abundant water the vegetation there are so lush.
I also dont always follow Koppen too,for me NYC arent Subtropical but Continental,all of Paraguay are Subtropical,since they can get close to or below freezing temperatures,thoses are one of many others place that i dont agree with Koppen.
Its hard to say because the Tropical Climates of Central South America have an strong influences in winter from the High pressures from Antartic,who causes insane temperature drops as far as 5S latitude,this kind of Tropical Climate should be called by another name,for me,the True Tropical climate are climates like mine,with temperature never below 20C.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:23 PM

Snowy and Cold days coming for the Australian Southeast Mountains,snow may fall at lower altitude,according to models it can fall even at 900m,Forecast for Perisher Valley:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather