Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,000,284 times

Advertisements

Im a bit disappointed with this cold snap on New Zealand,Towns like Arrowtown even got -10C this morning,even Southern Brazil got -8.9C on a 900m town in early June,coldest temperature in Arrowtown was -8C,thats very mild for a place at 45S/400m of altitude.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:48 PM

2,497 posts, read 1,839,772 times
Darwin Australia has been dropping into the mid 50s Fahrenheit (13 Celcius) these past couple nights. Very impressive for a coastal, low elevation city deep in the tropics at 12 degrees latitude.

Link

Old 08-06-2016, 04:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,583,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Im a bit disappointed with this cold snap on New Zealand,Towns like Arrowtown even got -10C this morning,even Southern Brazil got -8.9C on a 900m town in early June,coldest temperature in Arrowtown was -8C,thats very mild for a place at 45S/400m of altitude.
Not too surprised. Conditions in the SI have not matched those producing the really low readings. Mt Cook village dropped to around -11C last night but that's nothing special. Some of the locations in the North Island may nudge some low records perhaps.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Not too surprised. Conditions in the SI have not matched those producing the really low readings. Mt Cook village dropped to around -11C last night but that's nothing special. Some of the locations in the North Island may nudge some low records perhaps.
I was expecting at least -12 in Arrowtown,even Balmaceda,Chile at same latitude and nearly same altitude got -14C,and this winter was normal there,in cold snaps temperature falls to nearly -20C,but that is it,lets wait for another time.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:15 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,905,948 times
Quote:
Well, NZ SI is a medium size island sorrounded by the ocean. So obviously is heavily tempered by the sea waters and, outside of high mountains and valleys, is pretty hard to reach double digit negative lows there. Its like the patagonian coasts here. Well in fact the NZ coast does it a bit better. For instance, in this July Invercargill had a mean temp of 5.8ºC while Comodoro Rivadavia, at same latitude, had 7.3ºC.

----

Buenos Aires registered 21ºC today, so the record streak of days below 20s is oficially over. It ended at 103 days (April 24th was the last one).

Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,607,510 times
Quote:
I was expecting at least -12 in Arrowtown,even Balmaceda,Chile at same latitude and nearly same altitude got -14C,and this winter was normal there,in cold snaps temperature falls to nearly -20C,but that is it,lets wait for another time.
Nobody else was, apart from some wildly optimistic meteorologist (or was it just software?) It's likely too late in the winter, and the setup is wrong. A place like Arrowtown needs a few days of high pressure/radiation frost, and no morning downslope wind. Locations near Alexandra were showing -10C at an altitude of 160 metres.

-4C here this morning, and a nice but chilly day, with 8C at 2.45pm. Had a coffee at the wharf and took some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-img_4399.jpg   Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-img_4395.jpg   Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-img_4397.jpg  

Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nobody else was, apart from some wildly optimistic meteorologist (or was it just software?) It's likely too late in the winter, and the setup is wrong. A place like Arrowtown needs a few days of high pressure/radiation frost, and no morning downslope wind. Locations near Alexandra were showing -10C at an altitude of 160 metres.

-4C here this morning, and a nice but chilly day, with 8C at 2.45pm. Had a coffee at the wharf and took some photos.
Models showed something interesting,and some climate maps too,because that I was dissapointed,but its my fault to think that this place in New Zealand could get very cold,i have made a mistake

As you know,I like to study SH climate and vegetation,and when there are some chance of very cold temps(something rare) ,i became so excited,but sometimes just dont happens.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:54 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,583,623 times
Quote:

If one looks back at events like those of 1968, 1991 and 1995, in each case the winter conditions preceding the event were far more favourable, especially in 1991.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:38 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,607,510 times
Quote:
Models showed something interesting,and some climate maps too,because that I was dissapointed,but its my fault to think that this place in New Zealand could get very cold,i have made a mistake

As you know,I like to study SH climate and vegetation,and when there are some chance of very cold temps(something rare) ,i became so excited,but sometimes just dont happens.
Arrowtown can get cold but this isn't the year for cold in NZ, with a record warm May, the third warmest June, and July at 1.2C warmer than average for regions like Queenstown - a big number for NZ.

I made the point earlier (using Molesworth and Maquinchao an an example), that NZ climates might see less extreme temperatures than South America, but possibly a higher amount of sub freezing nights. That was based on averages being similar while deviations seem more common in South America.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-07-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Arrowtown can get cold but this isn't the year for cold in NZ, with a record warm May, the third warmest June, and July at 1.2C warmer than average for regions like Queenstown - a big number for NZ.

I made the point earlier (using Molesworth and Maquinchao an an example), that NZ climates might see less extreme temperatures than South America, but possibly a higher amount of sub freezing nights. That was based on averages being similar while deviations seem more common in South America.
Thats mostly because of the humidity of thoses places,while most Patagonia are dry,who means extremes events.

Gfs has take out most of the cold it showed for Subtropical areas,but there are an interesting scenario for Southern Patagonia ,its showing an movement of Low pressure followed by an trough there,with Tierra del Fuego getting a lot of snow(30+cm),by the first wave,snow may fall mostly on TF,and in the second,Central and some parts of Northern Patagonia may get some.

2m anomaly and 250mb winds clearly showing the temperature difference to the South and North of the Jet.

10 days snowfall total:

Look that Monster Storm on Southern Atlantic:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather