Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Have you ever even been to the south, or are you just basing it off of stereotypes? The south you're thinking is the one of like 1960 lol.....sure there's ignorant people in the south but there's ignorant people everywhere. Of course, what makes the South a bad place to live for me is the terrible economy in a lot of the states and the far too warm climate.
The most racist person I truly ever met was from upstate new york, but hey what do I know us southerners are all racist and backwards. People fly the confederate flag, still believe in God, and prefer to stick to their morals, yet some how that makes the south a backwards place. Although the confederate flag does represent oppression of African americans. So in that sense it is a bad part of history, but let's not get into the UK or us or Europe as a whole.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
There are plenty of Places in the Med that have broken 80°F in January.
Malaga, Alicante, Beirut, Chania...

And with Sydney it's such a thing, Observatory Hill hasn't, but Sydney Airport has hit 80°F in January
Very far south places, Raleigh has hit 80 in January, and February multiple times. Latitude for latitude the south does get higher positive deviations on average.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Very far south places, Raleigh has hit 80 in January, and February multiple times. Latitude for latitude the south does get higher positive deviations on average.
I'm looking right now on Now data.
Raleigh Durham Airport has hit the 80s in January only in 2002.

And what is very far south about these places, i listed.

Beirut 33°50'N
Chania 35°30'N
Raleigh 35°45'N
Malaga 36°40'N
Alicante 38°20'N

Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
I'm looking right now on Now data.
Raleigh Durham Airport has hit the 80s in January only in 2002.

And what is very far south about these places, i listed.

Beirut 33°50'N
Chania 35°30'N
Raleigh 35°45'N
Malaga 36°40'N
Alicante 38°20'N
OK then I was wrong. Not bad. But overall, the south on positive anomalies latitude for latitude and in occurrence, it happens more than other subtropical locations

Old 06-02-2016, 11:07 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
OK then I was wrong. Not bad. But overall, the south on positive anomalies latitude for latitude and in occurrence, it happens more than other subtropical locations

Positive anomalies are good, but my opinion on them is they wouldn't be at all necessary if the negative ones weren't so bad.

I'd rather not have either. And if the place didn't have either it would look like those cities in Australia growing all kinds of exotics.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

I would be very happy if those cold runs during the winter are just in the Midwest, and the Northeast remains mild, but then Cambium would have a problem with that

I'm actually bored already with this weather and the boring model runs. I wish Cambium would start up the winter thread already as I would like to see what people are thinking about it since it looks like it is going to have minimal analogs to compare with. I still have this gut feeling we are in an cold period for a number of years to come. As you can imagine I was shell shocked by 2014 and 2015. They really did remind me of the past cold winters when I was a kid. We had a nice long lull where cold waves rarely lasted more than a week or two, and then wham we got hit with month long cold waves. I wouldn't mind the cold nearly as much if it didn't stick around long and came and went more frequently.

I see the problem now with this warming Arctic and how it leads to the jet stream getting stuck, and also more frequent and stronger SSW events.

Do you think the cold epoch guy was onto something when you think about how much colder the Arctic was hundreds of years ago, and how less likely the vortex was to break down because of that?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Anyone on here remember ColdCanadian? Wonder if he is now a resident of Australia and if he is living out his dream? He hated the climates in Canada lol.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:01 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I'll take London fog over the south's heat and culture any day.
The south's culture is way better than it's weather. If you came here, you would meet a lot of welcoming and friendly people.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Problem is there are no good cities in the south aside from Houston, New Orleans, Charleston, and Savanna, the others are just really sprawling and I love walking so that won't be good. Sometimes I could walk for 10 miles at a time and I won't be able to do that almost anywhere in the South. Even Houston is borderline un walkable pero like it seems like the area round Downtown and Midtown are nice for walking

Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Anyone on here remember ColdCanadian? Wonder if he is now a resident of Australia and if he is living out his dream? He hated the climates in Canada lol.
I talk to him every now and then. He still lives in Australia and seems to be enjoying himself for the most part. Lucky guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather