Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:32 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times

Advertisements

Because he's a troll

It doesn't matter if they a frost free winter this year, Jacaranda need to get big before they can take brief cold snaps, so they will always be cut back or killed, so no they probably wont survive, not long term anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstName__LastName View Post
Because I just a chance to redeem myself to the moderators.

And that is where the heat and humidity that the South has for long periods of the year comes into play. Long, equatorial-style summers in places like Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc help to beef the plants up fast, allowing them to weather out the effects of winter should a cold-snap come.

The Southeastern US summer is to plants what anabolic steroids are to athletes.
You were banned for very good reason & will continue to be banned...

If Jacaranda could grow there do you not think people would grow it there? As Tom has already pointed out, gardeners have tried, without success... And Jacaranda do not need hot summers anyway.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
And now I am back, and want to redeem myself. Forgiveness is a virtue.

Well, then those gardeners have to try harder. While hot summers aren't necessarily a need, they provide the extra "seasoning" that beefs jacarandas up fast, so that are big enough to ride out any cold spells that come down.

Furthermore, I believe that smudge-pots can be used for extra heat, in case they are needed.
Smudge pots in the suburbs? Sounds like neighbours at war stuff.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:37 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You were banned for very good reason & will continue to be banned...

If Jacaranda could grow there do you not think people would grow it there? As Tom has already pointed out, gardeners have tried, without success... And Jacaranda do not need hot summers anyway.
I read that some people consider them a nuisance because of their leaves falling.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
And now I am back, and want to redeem myself. Forgiveness is a virtue.

Well, then those gardeners have to try harder. While hot summers aren't necessarily a need, they provide the extra "seasoning" that beefs jacarandas up fast, so that are big enough to ride out any cold spells that come down.

Furthermore, I believe that smudge-pots can be used for extra heat, in case they are needed.
And you think re-joining with a new account on a daily basis is going to show the Mods you have changed? lol...

Why can you not just accept that they cannot grow there? It doesn't mean it is any less of a climate because it is not suited to one particular tree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I read that some people consider them a nuisance because of their leaves falling.
So no one has planted one in New Orleans because everyone thinks the falling leaves are a nuisance?

That's like saying no one has planted a coconut palm because they are worrried about falling coconuts lol...

Old 06-04-2016, 04:56 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I do, but it's so warm there, that they would be worth growing even if just for a few years. I haven't paid a lot of attention to Jacarandas here (apart from flowering), but I would think they grow at the same rate as Albizzias - 20 ft in 3-5 years and flowering in the first year.

Some goes for citrus -modern cultivars are such fast producers, that they will be fruiting in the first year. It doesn't matter if they die after five years.
From what I've seen on the forums here you don't get citrus that taste worth anything until about five years. Growth really isn't that rapid based on what I've seen.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Because he's a troll

It doesn't matter if they a frost free winter this year, Jacaranda need to get big before they can take brief cold snaps, so they will always be cut back or killed, so no they probably wont survive, not long term anyway...
Exactly what Dan gill said. People love those trees, and they would be planted all over the place if it was worth it. It isn't and that is why you just don't see them.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:04 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I guess people in Minnesota need to "try harder" to plant palms.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
And you think re-joining with a new account on a daily basis is going to show the Mods you have changed? lol...

Why can you not just accept that they cannot grow there? It doesn't mean it is any less of a climate because it is not suited to one particular tree...

So no one has planted one in New Orleans because everyone thinks the falling leaves are a nuisance?

That's like saying no one has planted a coconut palm because they are worrried about falling coconuts lol...
Well it kind of does mean it is somewhat of a sub par subtropical climate when it can't grow a beautiful subtropical tree like that. And that isn't the only beautiful subtropical plant that thrives in all the other subtropical climates except the South US.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:29 PM

How hard should they try? lol... I have looked online & there are lots of people on gardening forums from New Orleans who have tried growing them, but they are not long term there. What else do you expect them to do? Build a greenhouse to keep one?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather