Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,412,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Really? Tell that to the millions of people who needed heaters this past week while our "average" temp has been slightly above normal.

Here are the normal lows and highs. You're telling me 40s in the morning and low 60s in the afternoon doesn't call for even a little heat to take the chill out? I'm talking about north of NYC of course
Definitely doesn't need heat; I probably wouldn't turn mine on though could be a bit more comfy with it on. Especially with a bit of sun on the house, it'll be warm enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 02:38 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,400,067 times
Gfs not only has a deep, insanely cold arctic blast at the end of its run but a tropical storm for NC by friday. Think gfs forgot it's meds.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,569,345 times
Quote:
Really? Tell that to the millions of people who needed heaters this past week while our "average" temp has been slightly above normal.

Here are the normal lows and highs. You're telling me 40s in the morning and low 60s in the afternoon doesn't call for even a little heat to take the chill out? I'm talking about north of NYC of course

I use the heater when mean temps are below 60°, so I would need heat with those conditions, I can't stand indoor temps below 70°, too cold

Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 PM

83,482 posts, read 75,139,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Definitely doesn't need heat; I probably wouldn't turn mine on though could be a bit more comfy with it on. Especially with a bit of sun on the house, it'll be warm enough.
So you agree heat is needed to be comfortable. K. Sounds like you're in an upper floor where heat rises or holds well. Not everyone has that. Im sure you heard of HDD. Theres a reason why they use 65 as the criteria. Sun can only do so much when you dip in the 30s and 40s then struggle past 50s during the day. Just because a max temp of 63 happened doesnt mean it was low 60s most of the day.

Anyway.. glad you agreed heat is needed with slightly above normal temps now. This coming week we wont be needing heat though.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
So you agree heat is needed to be comfortable. K. Sounds like you're in an upper floor where heat rises or holds well. Not everyone has that. Im sure you heard of HDD. Theres a reason why they use 65 as the criteria. Sun can only do so much when you dip in the 30s and 40s then struggle past 50s during the day. Just because a max temp of 63 happened doesnt mean it was low 60s most of the day.

Anyway.. glad you agreed heat is needed with slightly above normal temps now. This coming week we wont be needing heat though.
I use a base of 60° for HDD and a base of 65° for CDD. I find when means are between 60 and 65, that neither heat nor AC is needed, but 66°+ and I need the AC, 59° and down and I need the heat.

My defacto formula is add 10° to the mean temperature and that is about what your indoor temp will be without heat or AC.

So using my math, we need heat here in Phoenix on average from December 3rd to February 12th, and AC from March 16th to November 18th

Old 10-15-2016, 03:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,412,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I use a base of 60° for HDD and a base of 65° for CDD. I find when means are between 60 and 65, that neither heat nor AC is needed, but 66°+ and I need the AC, 59° and down and I need the heat.

My defacto formula is add 10° to the mean temperature and that is about what your indoor temp will be without heat or AC.

So using my math, we need heat here in Phoenix on average from December 3rd to February 12th, and AC from March 16th to November 18th
Problem with that is you can open your house and the house temperature won't build up or be much different from the mean.

Quote:
I didn't. I don't remember normally turning on the heat this time of year except for cooler than average weather, including living on the ground floor.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:

I didn't..

You did.

Quote:
I probably wouldn't turn mine on though could be a bit more comfy with it on..

Quote:
I don't remember normally turning on the heat this time of year except for cooler than average weather, including living on the ground floor.
Either bad memory or you just don't live comfortably. Just like suffering through humid 90s and hot nights in Summer without AC. Don't take offense, I find it interesting.

Everyone has had the heat on past week or so, either for an hour or for a few hours on a particular day(not every day), it's been needed.. Hartford hasn't even had an Average temp above 60° past 2 weeks except for 2 days.

Anyway ---

5pm temps.. My max was 65° with full sun but I'm already in the 50s by 6pm... Looks like I'll have to light the stove again? I like to keep the doors and windows open to get fresh air so house never warmed up enough.

Meanwhile Air conditioners needed in KY and TN.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Problem with that is you can open your house and the house temperature won't build up or be much different from the mean.

I didn't. I don't remember normally turning on the heat this time of year except for cooler than average weather, including living on the ground floor.
Well, I live in an apartment, so don't really have that option of "opening it up"

Old 10-15-2016, 03:25 PM

14 Days in September I was in the 80s

So far this month only 6 days in the 70s. 9 days in the 60s. LOL

Is there a middle somewhere? This week will add to the 70s pile.

Problem was, September should of had more 70s then 80s. (tied 2nd most # of 80s). So we skipped September weather and went right to October. Fine by me. At least its not September weather in October.

Ramble over.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:37 PM

29,476 posts, read 19,583,557 times

CFSv2... Cooler end to October, then has November mild until the last week, and clues to December looks like eastern trough

Oh and if Cambium can see my posts this is off of WeatherBell and Bastardi called the day 1-5 forecast a TORCH

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 10-15-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather