Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times

Advertisements

I would never call coastal L.A "endless" summer;that term belongs to truly tropical climates, such as Singapore or Bangkok.
Coastal LA is mostly 'spring weather' with random bouts of summer which can come literally anytime of the year (including 90F Christmases) but then having an entire month of June where it only gets above 70F a few times at the coast (like this one for instance).

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 06-13-2016 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 06:12 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2fish View Post
It's here waiting for ya. It is supposed to be 102 degrees this weekend. Wish I could send it up to you. Shoot, you could rent our house when we leave Calif in our rear view mirror.

Vancouver eh? While I love a good storm, all those dreary, wet days would make my head explode. After visiting northern Idaho to check out retirement options, we went to Portland to see our youngest graduate. We were there four days. Four days of non stop drizzle, mixed with some very light rain. Yuck!
Yep... if I only I were born on the other side of the 49th parallel... it would be a no brainer for me
Vancouver is incredibly dreary compared to a lot of climates in the world... I guess you can understand my conundrum.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I get that. I just don't understand why people need it all the time. Do you really need to be outside 24/7/365? Sometimes a rainy or snowy day is nice to stay inside and be cozy. Also, I don't get why people let merely overcast weather (without rain, just cloudy) stop them from going outside.
I'm obviously outside frequently. And I can't be outside all the time, and you can't always change your schedule around the weather. Overcast weather has dull lighting, I'd like to try to be out when it looks nicer out.

Quote:
I actually like mild and sunny weather to an extent, after a long, hot, humid and wet summer it can be nice and refreshing to get 60s and 70s, sunny weather (my dream climate gets that in late May and early September) but I just don't get the need for it all the time.
Not all the time, but I'd rather it happen more often. My dream climate would have a few months of hot weather and then the rest mild weather though it wouldn't be sunny all the time.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
I get that. I just don't understand why people need it all the time. Do you really need to be outside 24/7/365? Sometimes a rainy or snowy day is nice to stay inside and be cozy. Also, I don't get why people let merely overcast weather (without rain, just cloudy) stop them from going outside.

I actually like mild and sunny weather to an extent, after a long, hot, humid and wet summer it can be nice and refreshing to get 60s and 70s, sunny weather (my dream climate gets that in late May and early September) but I just don't get the need for it all the time.
I want the weather to treat me well nearly all the time. The last (fortunately don't get very many) thunderstorm here struck at midnight and screwed up the night's sleep.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I love a mild climate such as San Diego in the USA. Even better was where I worked in Peru (Arequipa) that averages between 21-23C (70-73F) every month of the year. I prefer a sunnier climate over cloudy. I really dislike a climate that is below freezing for months on end....scraping windshields, skidding, not wanting to walk around in winter=not fun for me.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:19 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Another life long Southern Californian here, and 60s/70s sunny weather is absolutely the best. Two weeks per year (that's what I'm taking "late May and early September" to mean) would be a pathetically short time to enjoy this temperature range.

You can have the long, hot, humid and wet summer....and the long, cold, freezing and snowy winter... Ugh. I'll take a week of each and the 60s/70s the rest of the time.

I get it that extreme, changeable weather and frequent storms, etc. are much more interesting for people who make weather their hobby. But for the average person for whom weather is not a hobby and who has to go out and make a living, raise a family, etc., boring weather makes life easier.

Last edited by saibot; 06-14-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 08:19 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Winter weather is all fun and games until you have tohave to jump over slush puddles and clear two feet of snow from your car and postpone ourdoor plans cuz it's snowing buckets outside. You have no idea, I would give a million dollars for NYC to have the same climate as Portugal or Spain at the same latitude

Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Winter weather is all fun and games until you have tohave to jump over slush puddles and clear two feet of snow from your car and postpone ourdoor plans cuz it's snowing buckets outside. You have no idea, I would give a million dollars for NYC to have the same climate as Portugal or Spain at the same latitude
If only Canada were moved somewhere else tropical... you could get your wish and I'd be very happy too
No more dealing with blizzards, snowstorms and freezing rain...

Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Another life long Southern Californian here, and 60s/70s sunny weather is absolutely the best. Two weeks per year (that's what I'm taking "late May and early September" to mean) would be a pathetically short time to enjoy this temperature range.

You can have the long, hot, humid and wet summer....and the long, cold, freezing and snowy winter... Ugh. I'll take a week of each and the 60s/70s the rest of the time.

60s/low 70s is too cool to enjoy the beach and pool (and nights in the mid to upper 50s with the seabreeze requiring a jacket is anything but "summery") and is better suited for "winter" weather for me.

Last year was a good compromise when we enjoyed average highs in the 80s at the beaches (with many days in the 90s) in summer, balmy nights with lows around 70, and high 60s and 70s rest of the year (and lows around 50 in winter).

Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm obviously outside frequently. And I can't be outside all the time, and you can't always change your schedule around the weather. Overcast weather has dull lighting, I'd like to try to be out when it looks nicer out.

Not all the time, but I'd rather it happen more often. My dream climate would have a few months of hot weather and then the rest mild weather though it wouldn't be sunny all the time.

Overcast weather does not stop me from going outside, it's mostly medium to heavy rain that makes me stay inside. I physically and mentally need to be outside every day of the year, for at least a while. If I haven't been outside at 5 pm in a given day, I feel truly bad. It's worse in the early winter because by 5 pm it is dark already, but I always try to go for a walk even on grey sundays.

I don't think grey / overcast weather is always dark, it conveys a lot more light than staying inside with lights on. I actually enjoy the kinda melancholic feelings that goes with it.

Maybe it's because I spent the first years of my life in Northern France and Britanny, but I'm not bothered by overcast weather (as long as it does not last for days on end during the warmer half of the year), it can give interesting skies.

Of course I like sunny weather, and it gets especially great in winter, but the alternance of clouds and sun feels natural for me. If it was always sunny it would be very boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather