Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:14 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Yeah Chicago barely misses the cut because the average high is officially -0.6C at ORD. MDW it's 0.1C. The low also misses the cut in January when it's -8.7C at ORD and -7.5C at MDW. I'll start planting Palms tomorrow
Same here.

I've got two Sago Palms on my patio, both looking good.
(though I do take them inside for the winter).

Toronto not on the list either.

Unlike Chicago, Toronto Pearson Airport does make all the thresholds though,
downtown doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 06:28 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
That would be an extremely cool spring month though, 5c average is what we get in February and our February is hardly spring even though we usually get mild days.

That said, the average high is relatively mild and the days must be long so it must be a strange feeling. We do not get months with such a high diurnal range in the winter time (when we have those means), yet our April has a similar range (but is much milder).

That's a transitional month for me. May in Weyburn is definitely spring though, so it goes to show that this kind of climate has very short springs. I would say that November to March is full winter mode, April is transitional and so is october (which looks more like a november to me).
I think perspective of people living in the climate should be considered.

For example, people in Weyburn, SK are used to very cold winter temps, with highs well below
freezing, so even the first hints of warmer temps in march can feel spring-like to them, never mind
april temps, which to people in southern Saskatchewan are balmy after a long cold winter.

If you flew in from subtropical Bologna, yes you might feel chilly, but that is from your perspective,
not the locals who live in southern Saskatchewan.

Same thing where I live, those first warmer days in march or april can feel sping-like,
with the stronger sun angle, even though the actual temperatures are really not that warm.

I've felt warm on a sunny early spring day at only 3C or 4C,
conversely, I've felt cold at 9C on an overcast day, especially in fall
after being used to months of warmth, those first days below 10C,
if not sunny, can feel cold.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:02 AM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Same here.

I've got two Sago Palms on my patio, both looking good.
(though I do take them inside for the winter).

Toronto not on the list either.

Unlike Chicago, Toronto Pearson Airport does make all the thresholds though,
downtown doesn't.

Not quite. It just misses the minimum in January.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...e=1&dispBack=1

Old 06-18-2016, 07:32 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't really have set thresholds, certain temps feel different depending on the time of year. But I generally view Dec-Feb as winter and Jun-Sept as summer. Nothing that occurred in winter can cancel out summer's warmth for me, and vice versa. Also, JFK isn't really representative of NYC's climate as a whole.
I was taking about cancelling out winter warmth (like 60F in February).

Which station is more representative of NYC as a whole?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
I was taking about cancelling out winter warmth (like 60F in February).

Which station is more representative of NYC as a whole?
My guess would be LGA is best representative of NYC's urban environment.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:13 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
LGA is much better. JFK is right on the ocean and happens to be the chilliest part of the city. It's not uncommon for LGA to be 10 degrees warmer than JFK in the summer

Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
LGA is much better. JFK is right on the ocean and happens to be the chilliest part of the city. It's not uncommon for LGA to be 10 degrees warmer than JFK in the summer
How about Central Park?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
How about Central Park?

Probably would better represent New York's natural environment.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Nice work.
I know those are your subjective criteria but in my opinion extremely continental places aren't the best representatives of a four season climate because they "neglect" spring and autumn and sometimes go straight from winter to summer.
I totally agree with your view. When I define my Four Season Climate, they have distinctive temperatures in each season with April or May and October month's averages offering the most benign cool to mild temperature range of the year.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:28 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
I totally agree with your view. When I define my Four Season Climate, they have distinctive temperatures in each season with April or May and October month's averages offering the most benign cool to mild temperature range of the year.
Yes of course, I think that months like April and October should be mild, with comfy temperatures (no 90 degree heatwaves) and certainly no snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather