Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:26 AM

290 posts, read 210,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Winters in New York are around 10 degrees warmer. The difference between New York and Binghamton in January is like the difference between New York and Memphis. I've suffered through the winters there, you didn't. Believe me when I say that they are nothing short of brutal
I don't think British people realise how big NYC state is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:27 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
I don't think British people realise how big NYC state is.
I think they don't realize how big the Americas are. Texas is like the size of France. And Florida is like the size of England

Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I'm glad you like them ^^
I think that's a climate like Des Moines and Kansas city, that will appeal to both cold lovers and warm lovers

Old 06-19-2016, 09:31 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
I think that's a climate like Des Moines and Kansas city, that will appeal to both cold lovers and warm lovers
Are you talking about Walla Walla? I don't think cold lovers would like them

Old 06-19-2016, 09:32 AM

290 posts, read 210,210 times
Where do you live Everblack?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Are you talking about Walla Walla? I don't think cold lovers would like them
Oh maybe not, but it's still a good climate

Old 06-19-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
Where do you live Everblack?
I always thought like Sweden or Norway lol

Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Winters in New York are around 10 degrees warmer. The difference between New York and Binghamton in January is like the difference between New York and Memphis. I've suffered through the winters there, you didn't. Believe me when I say that they are nothing short of brutal
Winters in Upstate NY are not brutal and there is nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise.

I'm not talking about the difference between Binghamton and New York - the point I was making is that if a place with average highs slightly below freezing in one month of the year constitutes brutal to you, then winter climates like New York must be very cold in your mind - unless there is a cut-off at some point where winters in Syracuse are brutal but winters in New York are just 'cold'. Do winters in Boston constitute 'very cold' or just 'cold'? Or Brutal?

Cleveland is another example - no month has an average high below freezing, and no month has an average low below 20F. Remove the snow and you have a winter climate essentially the same as places like Prague and Gothenburg.

Sorry, but you are just a person who is overly sensitive to the cold and/or exaggerates constantly. It's hard to take anything you say seriously, especially when you think Geneva has winters like Marseille.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 06-19-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 AM

You also have to look at factors like snowfall and sunshine and of course the warmth of March, since in many parts of the Northeast March is essentially a winter season. Upstate NY has the triple whammy of getting more than 4x the snow in NYC, significantly less sunshine hours (compare the sunshine hours in January in Buffalo to Boston), and to top it off, has much colder Marches than surroundoing places like Michigan or New England. It's not just the temperatures themselves, it's also the incredible snowfall, and the dreary winter cloudiness, and very cold Springs. All of these factors make Upstate NY winters arguably the harshest in the country

Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
You also have to look at factors like snowfall and sunshine and of course the warmth of March, since in many parts of the Northeast March is essentially a winter season. Upstate NY has the triple whammy of getting more than 4x the snow in NYC, significantly less sunshine hours (compare the sunshine hours in January in Buffalo to Boston), and to top it off, has much colder Marches than surroundoing places like Michigan or New England. It's not just the temperatures themselves, it's also the incredible snowfall, and the dreary winter cloudiness, and very cold Springs. All of these factors make Upstate NY winters arguably the harshest in the country
What about North Dakota? Minnesota? Not to mention interior Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather