Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which precip and snow reports do you prefer:
Seeing daily reports (midnight – midnight) 11 68.75%
Seeing 24hr reports (7am – 7am) 4 25.00%
Other - Please post and see below 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times

Advertisements

No rain for my rain gauge yet since I installed it Saturday...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
No rain for my rain gauge yet since I installed it Saturday...
You jinxed it! Uninstall it. lol

Looks like there was drizzle all around you? more rains to the south.

I never thought a rain gauge would make it more fun to wait for and watch the rains. But I'm getting tired of looking below the 1/2" mark.

BTW - I'm thinking of setting up a time lapse camera right on the gauge, this way if I'm not around I wont miss anything. Or even if around will be fun to see. And since the camera will have the time stamp, I'll know when it started and stopped.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:21 AM

BTW .. Click on "View Data" at the top. Then Click on "Station Precip Summary" on left.

Will bring you to this page. You can choose up to 3 stations to view at same time.

Random choose. Bethlehem, PA and Springfield, MA for this month so far.

It shows you side by side the amount of rain that fell for the period.

This is very cool when you compare towns right next to each other. You can see the differences in rain amounts.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You jinxed it! Uninstall it. lol

Looks like there was drizzle all around you? more rains to the south.

I never thought a rain gauge would make it more fun to wait for and watch the rains. But I'm getting tired of looking below the 1/2" mark.

BTW - I'm thinking of setting up a time lapse camera right on the gauge, this way if I'm not around I wont miss anything. Or even if around will be fun to see. And since the camera will have the time stamp, I'll know when it started and stopped.
No rain today either. There were storms close by on Monday. I saw where areas to the west got over an inch of rain that afternoon.

I think I should have a better chance tomorrow and Friday.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
No rain today either. There were storms close by on Monday. I saw where areas to the west got over an inch of rain that afternoon.

I think I should have a better chance tomorrow and Friday.
Looks like Iowa got some good rains yesterday. I wanna make an animation of the rainfall in U.S this year. Should be fun to see the rainfall patterns

Lots of grays on the map (zeros). Southeast got some rain.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,627,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I never thought a rain gauge would make it more fun to wait for and watch the rains....
Yes! Lol! With my CoCoRaHS Guage I find that during really heavy rainfall I'm trying to track how much rain per hour we're getting. The CoCoRaHS network makes it really apparent how sporadic rains can be even over short distances.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Yes! Lol! With my CoCoRaHS Guage I find that during really heavy rainfall I'm trying to track how much rain per hour we're getting. The CoCoRaHS network makes it really apparent how sporadic rains can be even over short distances.
Nice to see another volunteer on this forum. Yeah, I've been hooked and confirming my thoughts that nearby towns get much different results many times.

For rain rates I just use my digital station data. I know not the best but it's pretty close. You're doing something cool, I might try that but would require precise start stop and record times

Old 07-21-2016, 04:51 PM

I got 0.06 inches today. Digital rain gauge had the same amount.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I got 0.06 inches today. Digital rain gauge had the same amount.
Nice to hear. Always nice to see it similar even if off by .01" +/-. I bet when you get heavier rains they'll start to differ.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:04 AM

Quick reminder for those measuring... Pick a time to report and stick with it. Make it part of your routine. If it's still raining (or snowing) at the time of observation, write that number down, report it. Then the next morning subtract that number and report the difference.

Storm total reports you can report to your local NWS office but 24hr reports need to be just that, 24hrs. Just like the daily NWS rain totals are midnight to midnight. Even if its raining at midnight it doesn't matter.

For instance.. You typically report at 7am.

It starts raining at 1am July 22nd and still raining at 7am. Look at the gauge. Lets say there's 0.25" in there. Write that down, report 0.25". Storm ends that afternoon

Next morning at 7am July 23rd the gauge has 1.20" in there. Subtract the 0.25" from the 1.20" and that's what you would report. 0.95" at 7am on July 23rd.

You can also dump the gauge at 7am after reading but you might miss some liquid falling at the time.

You can also do multiple day reports. (I haven't done that so not sure how that works)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather