Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think more sad is that Anglo-Saxon cultures are so flooded with Anglo music, TV and literature that many think in them that no culture exist outside the Anglosphere.

What I think is a benefit of being in a small cultural sphere is that you HAVE to look for the outside world. A lot of English, French and German documentaries are broadcast on Finnish television, we watch TV series and films from England, the US, even Italy or Brazil! Therefore I think people in small cultural spheres have much better knowledge about the outside world.

I would say that US, Britain, Russia and China has the worst knowledge of the outside world among the general populace. And that is probably one reason behind Brexit as well.
But it's also easy to underestimate the diversity within Anglo culture itself. English is an official langauge on every single continent, and is spoken as a first language by hundreds of millions of people. These people hail from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds. To be predominately interested in Anglo culture doesn't make you intellectually backward.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
About us all !

No, sorry, I meant someone whose native tongue is english and who lives in an anglo country.
No worries. I understand there can be some confusion about me and my country too...

But my sense is that few native English speakers around the world think they are "missing out" on anyting worthwhile by consuming anglosphere culture almost exclusively.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:51 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
But it's also easy to underestimate the diversity within Anglo culture itself. English is an official langauge on every single continent, and is spoken as a first language by hundreds of millions of people. These people hail from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds. To be predominately interested in Anglo culture doesn't make you intellectually backward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack
But my sense is that few native English speakers around the world think they are "missing out" on anyting worthwhile by consuming anglosphere culture almost exclusively.
I think the first post replies to the second in a way.

Yes, people speaking predominantly english come from a lot of different backgrounds and ethnicities and may have a feeling their world is "the world" and anything outside does not really exist and / or is too culturally limited or not interesting enough.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I think the first post replies to the second in a way.

Yes, people speaking predominantly english come from a lot of different backgrounds and ethnicities and may have a feeling their world is "the world" and anything outside does not really exist and / or is too culturally limited or not interesting enough.
It's impossible to think that considering how cosmopolitan our societies are. Even if we don't reach out to the rest of the world, the world comes to us.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:58 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
It's impossible to think that considering how cosmopolitan our societies are. Even if we don't reach out to the rest of the world, the world comes to us.
certainly, but I have got plenty of foreigners as well in my town, from many parts of the world. Europe is very cosmopolitan too. Certainly NYC is more cosmopolitan than my backyard, but for instance Turin is probably way more cosmopolitan than whateverville, Indiana.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
I didn't say that.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
certainly, but I have got plenty of foreigners as well in my town, from many parts of the world. Europe is very cosmopolitan too. Certainly NYC is more cosmopolitan than my backyard, but for instance Turin is probably way more cosmopolitan than whateverville, Indiana.
I'm not denying that, but as whole, English speaking countries are probably the most ethnically diverse in the western world.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I didn't say that.
Fair enough.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:26 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yeah, must be because most of the Anglos who watch foreign films are snobs.

That's actually the perception in a lot of places, is it not?

Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
I think it's shallow for a native English speaker (Owen) to complain about foreignors speaking his language

Okay I get it, having a secret language with Baba Wethu is kinda fun but c'mon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather