Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has moving to a warm climate significantly made you happier?
Yes, I was significantly happier after moving to a warm climate. 17 44.74%
Yes, I was a little bit happier after moving to a warm climate. 11 28.95%
No, my overall happiness level was the same before and after the move. 5 13.16%
No, I was actually more unhappy. 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
You all forget the light factor,guys! the light is so more beautiful in tropical/subtropical climates, more intense, more real!
OK, but I live in a city that gets almost 350 days a year of FULL SUN. When we have an overcast day, you can really see the subtlety in the colors and textures of your surroundings. The intense, direct sun just makes everything look like you are watching TV, flat, artificial and garish.

The superior resolution on cloudy/overcast days may have something to do with the fact that your eyes can relax and you don't have to squint every second of the day. I know people who have their sunglasses bolted to their faces. I don't think they have seen the outside world without looking through a lens of plastic in many years.

Let me also say here that I worked outdoors year round for many, many years and the only time the temperature was a bother was when it was really hot (over 85 or so). When it is cold, your activity warms you up and you can always put on layers. When it is too hot, there is no possible way to cool off short of dousing yourself with water which in the desert is a semi-mythological substance :-).

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
OK, but I live in a city that gets almost 350 days a year of FULL SUN. When we have an overcast day, you can really see the subtlety in the colors and textures of your surroundings. The intense, direct sun just makes everything look like you are watching TV, flat, artificial and garish.

The superior resolution on cloudy/overcast days may have something to do with the fact that your eyes can relax and you don't have to squint every second of the day. I know people who have their sunglasses bolted to their faces. I don't think they have seen the outside world without looking through a lens of plastic in many years.

Let me also say here that I worked outdoors year round for many, many years and the only time the temperature was a bother was when it was really hot (over 85 or so). When it is cold, your activity warms you up and you can always put on layers.
I love an overcast, coolish (say 45 degree) day with mist (not quite fog) in the air. It gives everything this sort of haunting surreal quality. I love that! Great jogging weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When it is too hot, there is no possible way to cool off short of dousing yourself with water which in the desert is a semi-mythological substance :-).
ABQConvict
Luckily, I don't do really heavy outside labor for work anymore. Baking in the sun at work is just miserable. I remember guzzling two liter bottles of water all day long and still feeling thirsty, and getting off work with my skin just caked with body 'salt.' I'd go to work at 150 pounds and get off at 145 pounds. MAN am I glad I don't have to do that anymore!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 PM

14 posts, read 50,825 times
i live in portugal. what can i ask more. best country in the world no war, lots of sun, beaches. just love it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-29-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: offensive term removed

Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,447 times
Default Bump on the couch

My family moved to a warmer climate for my wife because it has always been her dream. Now that I am here I have to say that I will never move back north. Georgia now and was in Wisconsin (USA), I can say that I will move out of Georgia in less than 2 years, but I have picked the 37th parallel as a guide for never moving north of. Happier yes, but you do have to do something with your new location! A bump on the couch is the same in any climate.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:40 AM

268 posts, read 877,909 times
My dream is to move into a warmer climate, to coastal places in Croatia or Spain. But it will never happen. I have a good job here in Flanders. Social security is excellent, food is very good, crime low, people are friendly. If I want to have it better, I need to move upwards, to Scandinavia.

If I want to have it warmer in winter, I go on vacation As a rich filthy bastard from Western-Europe, I can spend my holidays in warmer (cheaper) places.

Comparing with the rest of Belgium, I'm in the best region. Temperatures here are the highest in this whole small country.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times
I would say that moving to a warmer climate really has not made any difference in my overall level of happiness. I moved to my current location of Los Angeles not by choice. In fact, I would have ended up living in Shanghai, China last year if I had been hired for a job. Shanghai has all four seasons but the summers there are humid. I would agree that when it is cold you can always put more clothes on to keep warm. When it is hot, there really isn't much you can do to keep cool except to get in a swimming pool or go for a boat ride. It is tough to do anything outside if it is over 100 degrees because you constantly have to think about replacing lost fluids. When I think about it, I belong in a cool, grey overcast climate like Seattle The rain is the best thing actually.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 16,688 times
I moved from Norway (one of the coldest places on this planet) to Thailand.

Yes Im more happy here, no more cold feets, only love from the people I live with.

No I dont miss the snow or mountains.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northai View Post
Norway (one of the coldest places on this planet)
Lol

Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Since I've retired, I don't really care so much. If you never have to get up in the morning and go out in the cold and snow, you don't really care all that much what it is like out there. Things you have to do, you can just go and do them on nice afternoons.

But I love the hot summer, and even in South Texas, I find that winter is longer and colder than I'd like it to be, and I look forward to summer.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
I'm currently living in the warmest climate I've ever lived in. While life is not perfect, it has worked for me, primarily because I love being outside and the activities I like doing (water sports, jogging and mountain biking) are just so much easier. This affects my fitness levels which I believe also affects my levels of contentment.

Every month of the year here is useable and I seldom have to wrap up or worry about the cold. I have a strong preference for sunny, warm weather and while Brisbane does not have a perfect climate, for me it is very good.

For many people they barely notice or get affected by the weather so their happiness is influenced by all other factors, but for me, the climate influences my well being more significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather