Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 05:12 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times

Advertisements

When I think of NJ I indeed think of the left bank of the Hudson river. The poor post-industrial rust belt cities.

But equally I think about old culture landscapes with small old towns and affluent suburbs.

And finally the Pine Barrens immortalised in the TV series 'The Sopranos'.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Do you think it would be bad to not attend my sisters wedding next year? She's not getting married until next July & I really, really don't want to go... I don't like her fiance (none of my family do), she has left him loads of times & he treats her like crap & we have hardly ever had anything to do with him. Add to that flights will be really expensive that time of the year, they are getting married at a posh hotel in Dorset & expecting people to stay at the hotel (extra expense) & she has told my Mum they have picked (meaning he has picked) a menu full of food that she knows none of our family will like. I'm really hoping she comes to her senses before next July & I know she would be upset if I didn't go, but it's not like I live down the road anyway...
I agree with dunno. Go to the ceremony at least, but I dont see any reason to hang around for the reception afterwards.
Her other half sounds like a massive kunt, so completely ignore him.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
When I think of NJ I indeed think of the left bank of the Hudson river. The poor post-industrial rust belt cities.

But equally I think about old culture landscapes with small old towns and affluent suburbs.

And finally the Pine Barrens immortalised in the TV series 'The Sopranos'.
I also think of orange-skinned bimbos and himbos.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:16 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
snj, would you say Philly has more southern influences than NYC?
They are certainly quite culturally different for cities as close as they are. But to your specific question, that's hard to say - also depends on what metrics you go by. I can say Philadelphia and South Jersey are, however, in the Midland region, linguistically, which extends into the Midwest but excludes North Jersey & north. It's said the Midland dialect has some commonalities with Southern speech that Northern speech doesn't have.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I have to laugh every time I hear someone say some **** about South NJ or DE being "Southern". Not even close. Just typical Mid-Atlantic areas.
I can notice a slight southern accent in some from Delaware and New Jersey. It seems not quite as northern, compared to the deep south of course it wouldn't feel southern.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Affluent older north Jersey suburb:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8281...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8146...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8368...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7769...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I also think of orange-skinned bimbos and himbos.
Yeah... exactly. I've already forgotten about that.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 PM

13,478 posts, read 9,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I agree with dunno. Go to the ceremony at least, but I dont see any reason to hang around for the reception afterwards.
Her other half sounds like a massive kunt, so completely ignore him.
He is. He drinks like a fish too & all his family are the same apparently, so **** knows why they picked a posh hotel, when he & his family will probably get thrown out for starting a drunken brawl...

Old 07-16-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's rubbish. London's first mayor was veteran left-winger Ken Livingstone and London became one of the safest major cities in the world during his time as London's mayor. To this day he is still regarded as successful - certainly a lot better than that buffoon Boris Johnson. This is why Londoners have voted for a Muslim to be their mayor instead of some wet blanket Tory. Yes, London has become significantly safer as the ethnic population has increased. London's schools became the best in the UK as the ethnic population increased too, because ethnic students do better in exams.
Dunno as much about London, but Boris Johnson was elected twice; same as Ken Livingstone. And Ken Livingstone lost twice to Boris Johnson.

Quote:
You do have a penchant for exaggerating. Maybe New York's success in reducing crime is partly attributed to the mass gentrification that has taken place. Most of the 'undesirables' will have probably gone somewhere else and taken their crime with them because it's become too expensive for ordinary people.
The mass gentrification has happened in only parts of the city; the median income of the city hasn't increased much at all, but it has gotten more unequal. Some of the biggest crime drops were in the most dangerous neighborhoods, and the drop was fast. Washington Heights went from a murder rate of 50 per 100k to about 6 in 10 years (more like 3 today), and in those ten years there was barely any demographic change (the drug gangs no longer sold on the street nor fought each other on the street). I don't think the police were responsible for all the decrease, but I suspect they contributed to some of the decline.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:39 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC has just about zero southern influence, so that might be easy. I didn't notice anything southern about Philadelphia either, but I haven't spent much time there. I know some rural southern PA spots have a slight southern influence, though it's more Appalachian than truly southern.
When I lived in GA, the football coach for my HS was from Waynesburg, PA, and he had a very noticeable southern accent. Although, that may have been influenced by him living in GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
I have to laugh every time I hear someone say some **** about South NJ or DE being "Southern". Not even close. Just typical Mid-Atlantic areas.
Lol, well there's a difference between being southern and having southern influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.