Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 04:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times

Advertisements

Last week when I rode back home by bike I hit another bike exiting in a narrow street. The dude went out and did not look, and since I was riding relatively fast (probably around 20 km/h) I hit his front wheel (?) with mine. His was completely bent whereas mine is like new (my bike is a 1956 bike so that may explains why, that and the speed).

I was pretty shocked when this happened so I offered to pay for a bit.

The thing is, technically that's his fault since he did not look left when I arrived, he just popped out of the courtyard and ended up in the street and I hit him.

This happened there

I wrote to him asking if it was ok if I only paid half, and he was pissed, saying it was my fault, that I was riding too much on the right (there is no pavement there so that's argument that makes no sense) and that I had to pay attention to whatever was coming from anywhere and that I did not use brakes (I did, but it was too late really). Also when I mentioned that the law said whoever entered a street had to let others pass first, he replied that it was false and that his uncle was a lawyer.

Now I have to meet this dude to pay for parts of his wheel but I feel he really wants me to pay for the whole thing, whereas I could have gotten away not paying anything and saying it was his own fault.

Be nice, and people will exploit you. That's how it works here.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Last week when I rode back home by bike I hit another bike exiting in a narrow street. The dude went out and did not look, and since I was riding relatively fast (probably around 20 km/h) I hit his front wheel (?) with mine. His was completely bent whereas mine is like new (my bike is a 1956 bike so that may explains why, that and the speed).

I was pretty shocked when this happened so I offered to pay for a bit.

The thing is, technically that's his fault since he did not look left when I arrived, he just popped out of the courtyard and ended up in the street and I hit him.

This happened there

I wrote to him asking if it was ok if I only paid half, and he was pissed, saying it was my fault, that I was riding too much on the right (there is no pavement there so that's argument that makes no sense) and that I had to pay attention to whatever was coming from anywhere and that I did not use brakes (I did, but it was too late really). Also when I mentioned that the law said whoever entered a street had to let others pass first, he replied that it was false and that his uncle was a lawyer.

Now I have to meet this dude to pay for parts of his wheel but I feel he really wants me to pay for the whole thing, whereas I could have gotten away not paying anything and saying it was his own fault.

Be nice, and people will exploit you. That's how it works here.
If he was entering from that yard then it wasn't exactly an intersection. No right of way there. Seems you absolutely were in the right and shouldn't really have paid for his costs honestly. It's just as much your fault if he had biked straight into a tree on his own.

I remember a few years back an elderly woman suddenly turned left on her bike onto a road pretty much no one turns left onto, and I went into her. She was really upset at me and I, a 15 year-old boy got pretty shooked up. As I rode away it started turning into annoyance and almost anger instead as I came to realize she was in the fault and and not me.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Didn't you know? Pretty much any unpleasant interaction that you have with older people is automatically your fault if you're much younger. They love blaming everything on young people. One could straight up run a red light and hit the side of your car as you're driving through an intersection and they'll blame it on you for driving too fast or some bull****.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
If he was entering from that yard then it wasn't exactly an intersection. No right of way there. Seems you absolutely were in the right and shouldn't really have paid for his costs honestly. It's just as much your fault if he had biked straight into a tree on his own.

I remember a few years back an elderly woman suddenly turned left on her bike onto a road pretty much no one turns left onto, and I went into her. She was really upset at me and I, a 15 year-old boy got pretty shooked up. As I rode away it started turning into annoyance and almost anger instead as I came to realize she was in the fault and and not me.
actually I have not paid anything yet, we kind of just agreed on the day of the incident that i would help him (his wheel was detroyed, mine had nothing), but ever since I wrote that I'd pay for half of it he has lost his cool to say the least, even being quite aggressive and claiming that it was mostly my fault.

He only has my phone number though, no other information. I'm going to offer 30 euros at most when he gets back at me, that or nothing.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Sounds like you were in your right and tried to be nice to him yet he's acted like an ass. If I were you I wouldn't give him a dime, you don't owe him anything.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:43 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Didn't you know? Pretty much any unpleasant interaction that you have with older people is automatically your fault if you're much younger. They love blaming everything on young people. One could straight up run a red light and hit the side of your car as you're driving through an intersection and they'll blame it on you for driving too fast or some bull****.
Are you from the USA?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Yes; from Miami, FL.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yes; from Miami, FL.
Alex came from Miami F L A
Hitchhiked her way across the USA
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she

Sorry, I had to

Old 04-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Lol, WTF is that?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM

Hearing baseball announcers talk about the weather is cringeworthy. The way they describe temperatures in the 40s you would think it's -50 F outside. I get it's a sport centered around summer but come on. 40-50 degrees in Chicago in early April at night is hardly anything so shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather