Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

The coldest temperature I have ever been in was 5 degrees farenheight which is probably -15.2 Celsius with a windchill of -5 Farenheight/-19.5 Celsius.

I had to a wear three layers with a huge sweater zipped all the way up to my neck, and a heavy winter coat zipped up to my neck too. I was STILL freezing underneath the layers. My head felt frozen but I didnt have it covered. My face was frozen and it was very difficult to breathe in the air and the air felt very dry and cold.
I saw some people outside with a weird looking face mask. Some people outside were covering their mouth/face with their hand because they also found it difficult to breathe.
There was heating in all the places I was in but it STILL felt freezing cold inside almost every place I was in and everyone else felt the same way I did with this.

The subway I was in had problems moving when it was above ground and the subway wasnt able to move on the tracks for 30 minutes. Someone also almost died of hyperthermia on the subway I was in but it was kind of her fault because she wasn't probably dressed, and probably didn't know how cold and dangerous 5 degrees with -5 windchills Farenheight can feel. But the subway had to stop at a subway station where an ambulance and paramedics had to take her away.

This was the first time in like 4 years the place I was living in got this cold so it felt very dramatic and everybody was acting very dramatic about it.

But then again places like Minneapolis and Montreal and other cities like that get routinely cold like that and colder about 90 days or more a year and it probably feels less dramatic when someone deals with it that often.

This temperature was an interesting experience but I would not want to deal with that on a daily basis or ever again. I usually dont like temperatures below 48 degrees Farenhieght/9.2. Celsius. I like snow but not the temperatures that come with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird25 View Post
I live in the Southern Great Lakes right off Lake Michigan. I don't remember the exact temperature, but the wind chill was -85 degrees.

When I dealt with 5 degrees and a -5 degrees windchill everybody around me including myself acted very dramatic about it.

So how were people around you that day dealing with a windchill 80 degrees colder than that?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 PM

497 posts, read 1,087,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Wow -13C in New Zealand.. that must be close to a record. I know the coldest national record is something like -21.6C but most inhabited places don't see anywhere near that am I not mistaken?
Only the very coldest of inhabited places would see maximum temps around freezing, and not that often. There wouldn't be many places that have seen -10C

For Nelson, I can remember a max of 6C once, but 9-10C is usually the coldest day of the year. The record low is about -6C. Where I live now, the coldest I've seen was -0.5C.( once in 10 years)

Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird25 View Post
I live in the Southern Great Lakes right off Lake Michigan. I don't remember the exact temperature, but the wind chill was -85 degrees.
Uh, I think that is a bit of an exaggeration...

NWS Wind Chill Index

The coldest temperatures ever recorded in Indiana, Michigan and Illinois are -36 F, -51 F, and -37 F, respectively. With temperatures between -35 and -40 F, it would take a 50 mph+ wind to make that wind chill.

Back on topic - the coldest temperature I have ever experienced was -35 F in Lyndonville, VT (where I attended college) and several mornings were < -25 F.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,065 times
The coldest temperature I've ever been in was 38 degrees F, or 2-3 degrees C in Miami, FL. It was one of the coldest days we've ever recorded and definitely the coldest in my lifetime. It was the only time in my life that I could see my breath outside. What a miserable experience. I am absolutely terrified of cold weather. I would never move anywhere north of the 30th parallel.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,299 times
-1 in NYC

Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Here in FL 17° in the 60's and -23° in MO in the 70's. I was sweating and drinking iced tea in MO while out in it cutting fire wood. In FL I was a teen lighting smudge pots and about froze the family jewels off.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 AM

110 posts, read 222,069 times
-25c Glasgow big storm of January 1987. No cabs were operating, deep snow drifts after a 17 hour train ride from Leeds which should be a 3 hour trip. Crazy!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:56 PM

108 posts, read 376,147 times
43 degrees below zero in Lyndonville, Vermont, February 12, 1979. First and only time I've seen ice crystals. A truly strange site to see falling from a clear sky.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,531 times
Default Coldest EVER at AZ SNOWBOWL

This was the coldest it's ever been at Snow bowl AZ. It was Jan. 1987. I kid you not it was -5 straight up temperature at 10am with a 20mph wind that made it feel like -40. A storm came in that morning and the snow felt like rock pellets in my face. I was only 14 at the time and since I was brought up in Phoenix I had never experienced this kind of cold before (and still haven't since). I remember going up the ski lift with my dad and the wind feeling like a knives going right through me with the gusts of wind. I could not feel any part of my face. The worst was when the lift briefly stopped becaue of a skier falling when getting off. We only got 1 run in, they had to shut the ski lift down because of high windgusts. We got back to Flagstaff and I remember the temperature was 5 above during the early afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather