Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 05:52 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
NYC is overrated, overpriced, and extremely dirty. There is garbage all over the place and I always get a whiff of sewer and horse ****. I get there's a lot going on and it's a good place to see a show or find some unique food (although I can get much better food elsewhere for a much more reasonable price) but there are a million other places around the country and the world that offer similar things.

Des Moines and Manhattan...apples and oranges, but Des Moines probably has a lot more to offer than you give it credit for.
It's not just Des Moines, most of American towns outside the Northeast are like that. Sacramento, Fresno, most of LA County, Boise, Cleveland, Columbus, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. Its actually easier to name cities that are similar to NYC as opposed to cities that are essentially giant suburbs

Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
NYC is overrated, overpriced, and extremely dirty. There is garbage all over the place and I always get a whiff of sewer and horse ****. I get there's a lot going on and it's a good place to see a show or find some unique food (although I can get much better food elsewhere for a much more reasonable price) but there are a million other places around the country and the world that offer similar things.
I haven't found anywhere in the US that has what NYC as. I never found the dirtiness particularly bothersome. Rozenn didn't notice NYC's dirtiness, either; so it's not just a local thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'very never been to NYC. I aways imagined it with the famous gritty old-fashioned feel to it made famous by Hollywood. Is it actually like that? Apart from the poorer neighbourhoods, it sounds like a metro, urban elitist area full of hipsters.
Most of NYC is a working-class immigrant city, though it has some ghetto areas, better off outer areas, and fancy center city areas. Hipster doesn't seem the right word to describe a lot of Manhattan, the older people and finance types aren't hipsters. Even the expensive areas are kinda gritty looking and no, not the cleanest.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most major cities are dirty, except Japanese ones. Paris and London definitely aren't renowned for their cleanliness.

I've never been to NYC but have been to London and Paris. I don't want to live in either but there's no denying that they are on a completely different playing field even to cities like Berlin or Madrid. They are immense places.
I'm not expecting a major city to be spotlessly clean, but NYC has a ton of room for improvement. I didn't see anywhere near the amount of the litter and dirty sidewalks in places like Boston, Washington DC, and Amsterdam. They were immaculate compared to NYC.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
A lot of it is pretty gritty and a much of the architecture is not aesthetically pleasing IMO. The new WTC is a diamond though...beautiful building and memorial.
Eh. I like the gritty feel of the city over shiny new. I do agree the new WTC is nice.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He's exaggerating, but a lot of smaller city US downtowns are rather dead, and just have few people out. Warwarswa visited many places in eastern Europe and Latin America that certainly aren't rich that don't have the issue. He's referring more to a density / sprawl thing than amount of events.
Yup, as someone who has been to many places around the world, the lack of density and vibrant Downtowns seems to be more of an American thing. Driving into Atlanta at night I was kinda let down by how sparse it looked, not nearly as vibrant as a city of Atlanta's stature should look like. In Latin America or Eastern Europe even the really small towns generally have somewhat of a vibrant downtown

Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

I've never been to NYC but have been to London and Paris. I don't want to live in either but there's no denying that they are on a completely different playing field even to cities like Berlin or Madrid. They are immense places. I can certainly understand why people from all over the world want to live there.
Visiting Berlin and NYC about a month and a half apart and biking across NYC gave a sense of the scale difference of NYC; and NYC is just more crowded with people everywhere.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Eh. I like the gritty feel of the city over shiny new. I do agree the new WTC is nice.
I can appreciate grittiness, but that doesn't mean it has to smell like a bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in a year or look like a garbage dump.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I can appreciate grittiness, but that doesn't mean it has to smell like a bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in a year or look like a garbage dump.
It doesn't? You're exaggerating there.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
It doesn't? You're exaggerating there.
I guess you don't notice the garbage bags piled all over the sidewalks (aside from the the usual litter fluttering about)? Sometimes the smells there knock me off my feet and I've seen other people covering their noses.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I guess you don't notice the garbage bags piled all over the sidewalks (aside from the the usual litter fluttering about)? Sometimes the smells there knock me off my feet and I've seen other people covering their noses.
Yea, sometimes there are garbage bags. The smell bad a few times, usually I haven't noticed it. Actually, Berlin had a weird sewer-like smell in one spot I was that was worse than almost anything I could remember of NYC. But that was only spot in Berlin, probably bad luck. Berlin wasn't as clean as I assumed it would be; think the clean German stereotype is mostly the former West Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather